Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "KFC claims fried chicken is an Atkins-friendly food"

KFC claims fried chicken is an Atkins-friendly food

By Maxine Frith, Social Affairs Correspondent

29 October 2003

link to article

The fast food giant KFC has become the latest - and most unlikely - company to exploit the huge popularity of the Atkins Diet.

The fried chicken brand launched an advertising campaign to persuade consumers that eating its meals can help them slim. The campaign, airing in the US this week, boasts that KFC's secret recipe for chicken is the perfect low-carbohydrate, high-protein choice for Atkins slimmers. Advertisements feature two men who bump into each other, with one exclaiming: "Man, you look fantastic!" Asked for the secret of his great look, the other reveals: "Eatin' chicken." A voiceover explains: "If you're going low-carb, high-protein, go KFC."

The Atkins Diet, now a global dieting brand, advocates cutting out carbohydrates and eating more protein such as meat in order to slim.

Only the small print of the advertisement admits that fried chicken is "not a low-fat, low-sodium, low-cholesterol food".

The "Atkins effect" has boosted sales of steak, fish and cheese in the UK, while bakers and potato merchants have reported falling profits.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:47
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%

You know, they're actually right to a certain extent. A drumstick in original recipe has 4 net g of carbohydrate:

http://www.yum.com/nutrition/menu.a...ndID_Abbr=2_KFC

This is the nutrition calculator.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 13:30

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

If they'd bring back the Baked Chicken, I might consider going back there. But, as long as their entrees are all breaded Chicken fried in Hydrogenated Oils...they aren't getting any more of my Business.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 15:52

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

KCF has to be the grossest fast food out there. I used to live fairly close to one and the smell almost made me gag as I walked by.

You couldn't get me to eat any if you paid me
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 16:33

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

It boggles my mind, why has not any fast food restuarant (sp?) not provide a i.e. "Atkins burger" it can be double meat, cheese with lettuce on top with mayo on the side... and throw it in a box, and advertise it on some promo sale, and they would make some serious $$$.... Is there some liability or any other reason I can't think that is preventing them to do this?

have a good one,
Korry
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 16:47

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Personally, I wouldn't buy a burger called an Atkins burger. Not that I'm against Atkins, but it's not my path and I would much prefer a more generic name such as low-carb burger.

But you're right. It's strange that low carb is not being exploited more. I know that there are restaurants starting to provide low-carb dishes -- the recent article about lettuce wraps was a good example and yummy! But those restaurants have not been the big chains.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 16:56

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

HA HA! Are they serious?! Yes, there is the issue of the trans fats but in a pinch, yeah, I might indulge occasionally. But at 4 grams per drum stick (which is my FAVORITE part of the chicken), I'd easily want 4 or 5. Then, do they have ANYTHING that could go on the side. They don't offer salads, do they?

Perhaps if someone brought a bucket of chicken home and I could have 1 drum stick as a side to something LC that I was eating with it-- MAYBE (BIG maybe). 4g is not bad for something with breading on it. But still, that's a long shot for me to indulge in to begin with.

What are they thinking?! Desperate to jump on the bandwagon, I guess . . .
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 17:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

I absolutely love fried chicken and cole slaw. If they would get rid of the hydrogenated oil, lower the carbs of the breading, and remove the sugar from the cole slaw, they would have something I would buy.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 17:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

the'd have to stop pumping the chickens full of hormones before I'd let my worst enemy eat at KFC.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 17:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins!!!
Stats: 151/147/140
BF:
Progress: 36%

I love KFC, but I cannot believe it is low carb, 4 grams even seems too low. Think about it, its all flour and breading! I work at a Burger King and wonder the same think about having a low carb choice. In essence, you do have a choice, remove the bun. I eat at work everyday and I think its easier than eating at home. I work there, so I can improvise, but its really not hard for customers either. Just say I want my burger, or grilled chicken breast on a platter with whatever you want on it. It is "have it your way." Most places will do it, actually, they all have to do it. I think that is why low-fat is being offered. Its hard for people on low-fat diets to eat out, much easier for the RIGHT dieters to find something. LCers of course!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 06:26

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I went to the KFC web site's nutritional counter. It does say a drumstick has 4 gms carb. Like several others here, I find that hard to believe - so I went the US Dept. of Agriculture nutritional web site USDA Web Site Search Page It does not list the KFC brand specifically but states a fast-food drumstick - breaded and fried - has 7.85 gms of carb. That sounds closer to the truth to me and let's face it, USDA doesn't have a financial interest in this - KFC does.

Last edited by Orang : Thu, Oct-30-03 at 06:34. Reason: typo
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 08:50

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hey, let's all pitch in and have a scientist test it for carbs! I just read an article where some lady tasted Smuckers 100% fruit spread. She thought it tasted funny so called a lawyer and he hired a scientist to test it. They found the various flavors actually contained less than 50% real fruit. She now has some big lawsuit going on against Smuckers. Unbelievable! What a way to make some cash!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 12:08

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I was so startled while watching TV last night to see a KFC commerical claiming that KFC is a LC food!

In the commercial, the site the chicken breast as being 11 carbs. My first thought was, "Yeah, but what about that nasty mac & cheese side dish?"

Donald
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 14:33
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

People! Am I the only one happy to see this commerical? At least KFC is smart enough to see there is a market out there that they are smart enough to try and cash in on! Good business sense. Look at Subway Jared. That guy made Subway a ton of money. LC is the "in thing" right now, and unlike other fast food places, they realize this. I happen to like KFC. I get their chicken, but I don't eat the skin. If you remove it, I count a breast at around 4 carbs. Most of the breading is on the skin. I do agree about needing some sides to go with it. Would it kill them to have green beans or a side salad?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 14:45

Stats: 222/160.5/130 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

Dstar
No! you are not the only one who likes KFC. It happens to be our favorite "Boat Food". We pick up quite a bit on the way to the lake and toss it in the cooler. By the time we are done toobing, skiing, floating, or other lake activities, it is the best cold chicken! It does, however, make quite a mess on the floor of the boat when you peel off the breading... I have to vacuum the boat every week. But that is a small price to pay for a relatively low carb food that me & DH & all our friends enjoy.

Yes, I too am a closet KFCer!