Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-25-17, 07:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default The Pioppi Diet: a 21 day lifestyle plan

The brilliant Dr Aseem Malhotra has followed up his film, The big fat fix, with a new diet book published Thursday.

Starting today in The Telegraph is an article with an overview of the health of the Italian town of Pioppi and a short list of his lifestyle guidelines.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...ets-worlds/amp/

Tomorrow, discover how to follow Dr Malhotra’s 21-day Pioppi plan...
The Pioppi Diet: A 21-day Lifestyle Plan by Dr Aseem Malhotra and Donal O’Neill is published by Michael Joseph.

EDIT: DietDoctor had this article Monday with the 8 top tips:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/top-8-ti...r-losing-weight

Quote:
Here are his top tips for emulating the healthy lifestyle of Pioppians (inhabitants of an Italian village known for their vibrant health an longevity):

Don’t fear fat; sugar and refined carbs are the enemy

Keep moving – exercise for health, not weight loss (and walking is best)

Extra virgin olive oil is medicine, as is a small handful of nuts – eat both, every day

Get seven hours of sleep a night

Stop counting calories – not all are created equal

Eat 10 eggs a week – they’re satiating and full of protein

Have two portions of veg in at least two meals a day

Fast once a week for 24 hours – have dinner, then don’t have breakfast or lunch the next day

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jun-26-17 at 07:36.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-17, 08:29

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

I read this piece from a news site and my jaw dropped. Wow, they actually included fasting!!

One note though, for some reason I think 24 hour fasting is cheating. I know, I know,...... but once you get used to doing this on a weekly basis, going from dinner to dinner is soooo simple.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-17, 12:31

I Know, wow. But the first one that stopped me was the 10 eggs a week. I don't think I eat that many anymore because I fast breakfast and lunch. win some/lose some with these rules.

Today: The Pioppi Plan: how to follow the delicious 21-day diet from the world's healthiest village (premium article)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...thiest-village/

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-27-17 at 04:24.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-17, 13:56

Plan: Modified South Beach
Stats: 207.5/158.7/157.5 Female 5.5 &3/4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thank you Janet for posting this.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 04:16

A four minute YouTube Intro to the Pioppi Diet by Dr Malhotra.
https://youtu.be/8wVxYuF_u7g

The book comes out Thursday so interviews just starting. A long one with Dr Mercola already posted. https://youtu.be/7q8AroJ2SgI
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 18:12

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Here's the plan:

Quote:
Enjoy...

Three meals a day, and eating until you feel full

At least two to four tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil a day (one of the healthiest foods for your heart, it reduces inflammation and prevents high blood pressure, especially when combined with vegetables)

One small handful of tree nuts (walnuts/almonds/hazelnuts/ macadamias) a day

At least five to seven portions of fibrous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, courgette, aubergine) and low-sugar fruits (tomatoes, apples, berries) a day

Vegetables with at least two of your meals a day, preferably three (for potatoes, opt for the sweet variety and if you’re overweight or have type 2 diabetes, try to limit consumption to no more than two portions a week)

Fatty fish at least three times a week

At least 10 eggs (pasture-raised or organic to maximise the bang for your buck) a week

Full-fat dairy products, in particular Greek yoghurt, cheese and butter (ideally, produced by grass-fed cattle)

Quote:
Avoid...

All added sugars (it’s everywhere, check those labels), also avoid fruit juice, honey and syrups for the first two weeks to break the addiction of sugar cravings. After that, you can re-introduce a square of dark chocolate (at least 85 per cent cocoa solids) if you wish.

All packaged, refined carbohydrates, in particular anything flour-based, including bread, cake, pastries, muesli bars, packaged noodles, pasta, couscous and rice (if you miss bread, pasta and rice at the end of the 21 days, think of them as treats to have infrequently, rather than the main event)

Industrial seed oils (ie. sunflower, canola)

Processed red meats (ideally, opt for meat from grass-fed animals, and eat no more than 500g a week)http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...thiest-village/

I don't like olive oil, but I'm thinking of taking at least a TB a day like people used to give kids castor oil.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-17, 02:41

Thanks JL! Have you tried oven Roasting a mix of those vegetables in olive oil? Lots of oil gets in the nooks and crannies, makes the veggies taste sweet and leftovers are good...and I would need tricks to get in 5-7 servings a day.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-17, 09:10

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
I don't like olive oil, but I'm thinking of taking at least a TB a day like people used to give kids castor oil.

My mom used to do that way back in the '60s. I thought it was gross. But then, she was a guzzler of cream & I thought that was gross, too!

Unfortunately, she was believing the hype of the time about hearthealthywholegrains. Her heart was fine, but the rest of her, not so much.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-17, 20:37

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Berries are not low-sugar.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-17, 21:48

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Thanks JL! Have you tried oven Roasting a mix of those vegetables in olive oil? Lots of oil gets in the nooks and crannies, makes the veggies taste sweet and leftovers are good...and I would need tricks to get in 5-7 servings a day.

I've "discovered" sautéing in butter. Oh my - it changes the most humdrum veg into ambrosia. The other day I miscalculated the time & left the Swiss chard in the pan too long - it turned out to be perfect, a wee bit crispy. Today I had some frozen mixed veggies that were blah when steamed. Today I sautéed them in the magic butter & they turned out delicious. The trick is to get them a bit overcooked.

I wouldn't overcook mushrooms like that, but it seems like most veggies can take the heat. So far I've done beet greens, chard, & the mixed veggies. I'm going to be trying more as I have orach growing in the garden - that should be interesting.

If you really want the olive oil, do half & half - that's what my chef nephew does.