Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 09:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
letting the store managers and buyers know that there is a market for real food choices.

Better off pressuring the companies themselves. They dictate what takes up room in the cabinets.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 04:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Companies take note of trends...I put this in the KerryGold thread yesterday. Next to KerryGold was a Black Box of SuperPremium European Style Butter by Land O Lakes of all companies and grass fed European butter imported by Finlandia...in WALMART! I haven't even checked the standard market groceries...higher fat is a trend to stay when you see it in Walmart.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 15:26

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Wow! I'm inspecting the Walmart dairy section next time I go. Thanks for the heads-up!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 09:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Normally I only shop in Trader Joe's and Walmart, but hit three regular groceries this morning. Fat is back...still overwhelmed by the low and non-fat yogurts, but they are in stock. Publix had three flavors of "Oh My Yog" triple layer with fruit, yogurt, and cream on top. Noosa and Liberte too. http://liberteyogurt.com/Products, plus Stoneyfields, Dannon and Greek Gods for larger containers whole milk plain. Lowe's, a Southern chain, had Yulu, Noosa and Cabots (a New England co-operative of small farms).

Now also on the lookout for butter, it had the Land O Lakes Premium butter, Finlandia ($2.50 plus POS $1 off coupon), Peluga, Challenge and Kerry Gold butters. I don't remember seeing any of this a short time ago. The flavored yogurts have high carbs, around 30g, and although some is supposedly fermented away, there is a lot of honey, organic sugars and fruits in those.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 11:04

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

What worries me is that Americans are now so used to everything tasting sweet that I'm afraid the food manufacturers are liable to keep the same amount of sugar while adding the fat back in. I'm not sure that's going to be an improvement.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-15, 18:39

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
A nice alternative to yogurt is sour cream at 14% fat. I could find one 19% fat. Now the best I can find is 18% fat from a different producer.
Here in the US I buy Daisy full-fat sour cream (not sure of percentage). The ingredient list reads "grade A cultured cream" and that's it! Can't beat an ingredient list like that. But when I go to Canada in the summertime I never buy sour cream as the supermarket I go to (and about the only choice for a 30-40 minute radius) has no sour creams without ingredient lists as long as my arm! Yogurt was pretty nasty there ditto, but in the last years or two I've begun to find perhaps one single brand of "Balkan-style" yogurt which is pretty acceptable
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-15, 18:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Normally I only shop in Trader Joe's and Walmart, but hit three regular groceries this morning. Fat is back...still overwhelmed by the low and non-fat yogurts, but they are in stock. Publix had three flavors of "Oh My Yog" triple layer with fruit, yogurt, and cream on top. Noosa and Liberte too. http://liberteyogurt.com/Products, plus Stoneyfields, Dannon and Greek Gods for larger containers whole milk plain.
Wow, local Publix sure doesn't carry any of those!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-15, 20:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Trader Joe's has good whole milk yogurt, too.

But if I really want Noosa, my Target carries four packs of either the rhubarb or the blueberry that are 1/2 the size of the regular ones.

I tried to eat just 1/2 of a regular one, but OMG, it's hard. I do kind of love the Brown Cow, too. My grandson, who's used to Italian yogurt, prefers it, because it's like what he has at home.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-15, 14:20

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Wow, local Publix sure doesn't carry any of those!

BUT!

My Publix here in Vero Beach carries Seven Stars Farm Whole Milk Yogurt with ~11g~ of fat (Dannon's is 8g). If your Publix doesn't, maybe you can ask them to order it.

It's wonderful, slightly yellow just like Jersey milk, maybe 75 cents more than the other plain yogurts and well worth it: http://www.sevenstarsfarm.com/whole_milk_yogurt

Pity they won't ship their cream far... I'd buy out the store! lol
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-15, 15:47

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default crema fresca

My experience is that yogurt anywhere outside the US is much better tasting and quality.

I make my own crema fresca (that is what I call it) regularly. Easy: use a pint mason jar. Start by heating the jar up by putting hot tap water in it. Remove the wate. Add whipping cream to about 3/4th full. Pour in a little buttermilk. Put the lid on and leave it on the kitchen counter for about a day and a half.

Then store it in the fridge. You can find recipes on line that are more specific on amounts, some ask for scalding the milk but I have found just warming the jar up before hand and leaving it. I use it as I would yogurt. Yummy
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-15, 15:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omablue
Easy: use a pint mason jar. Start by heating the jar up by putting hot tap water in it. Remove the wate. Add whipping cream to about 3/4th full. Pour in a little buttermilk. Put the lid on and leave it on the kitchen counter for about a day and a half.

You have intrigued me and I want to try this!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-15, 15:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehill
My Publix here in Vero Beach carries Seven Stars Far. Whole Milk Yogurt with ~11g~ of fat (Dannon's is 8g). If your Publix doesn't, maybe you can ask them to order it
sounds great! I'll have to find out if they will. Or I may even try the other Publix. There are two of them, each about 2 miles from my house, but in opposite directions. They carry lots of similar things but also have differences. The last time I asked them about ordering something for me (the sardines packed in olive oil that I've puchased elsewhere) they told me they checked but such a product didn't exist.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 06:37

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
sounds great! I'll have to find out if they will. Or I may even try the other Publix. There are two of them, each about 2 miles from my house, but in opposite directions. They carry lots of similar things but also have differences. The last time I asked them about ordering something for me (the sardines packed in olive oil that I've puchased elsewhere) they told me they checked but such a product didn't exist.

I work in a grocery store, and I can't say for sure that it's this way with all grocery stores/chains, but at our store, if it's not a product our chain carries locally, we can't order it. We can check with other local stores in our chain to see if they happen to carry that item and obtain it for a customer that way, but the way our supply chain is set up, we can't special order something that isn't carried by our chain.

Corporate decisions on which items to carry in any given market area depends on customer demand, so it never hurts to contact managers, district offices, and corporate offices if there's something you'd like to be able to buy at your store. The worst that can happen is that they look into it, and tell you they simply don't have the demand to make it possible to sell the amount they'd need to buy from the manufacturer.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 07:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Corporate decisions on which items to carry in any given market area depends on customer demand, so it never hurts to contact managers, district offices, and corporate offices if there's something you'd like to be able to buy at your store. The worst that can happen is that they look into it, and tell you they simply don't have the demand to make it possible to sell the amount they'd need to buy from the manufacturer.

What about the thing I've heard from so many supermarket managers?

Me: "Why don't you carry XYZ any more?"

Mgr: "We had trouble keeping it in stock."

Me: "This product is from a major manufacturer. I don't see any scarcity. Everyone I know wants it so why don't you just order more?"

Mgr: runs away
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 14:07

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
What about the thing I've heard from so many supermarket managers?

Me: "Why don't you carry XYZ any more?"

Mgr: "We had trouble keeping it in stock."

Me: "This product is from a major manufacturer. I don't see any scarcity. Everyone I know wants it so why don't you just order more?"

Mgr: runs away

Sometimes the reason they can't keep it in stock is because there are supply problems, such as when demand greatly outstrips the supplier's ability to supply requested amounts. If this goes on for an extended time, it can become a choice between dedicating shelf space to an item which you know you're not going to be getting sufficient stock, and just dropping that item in order to free up shelf space for a competing brand you know you'll receive.

Sometimes the chain's warehouse doesn't ship enough to the store. The item is ordered by the store from the distribution center, and yet corporate makes an executive decision that a certain store just doesn't need to carry that particular item any more, or doesn't need as much as was ordered. That particular store may sell a lot of it, but if another item sells even more at that store, they dedicate more shipping space and more shelf space to the bigger seller.

There's also a push in the grocery business to get customers to switch over to store brands as much as possible, since the profit margin is a lot higher on store brands than on national brands. Many times the store brand is made by a national brand. That doesn't mean it's made by your favorite national brand, or one that is LC friendly, only that it's a duplicate of a national brand.

I don't know if it's this way in other stores/chains, but there are certain often requested items that our store can't order - the district warehouse just sends more when it suits them. For items that the individual store has the ability to order, sometimes the ones who do the ordering at the store/district/corporate level also just don't order enough for various reasons, including glitches in computerized ordering systems.

A lot of manufacturers pay big money for prime shelf space in grocery stores. The more the manufacturer pays for shelf space, the more shelf space there will be dedicated to it, which squeezes out some of the competition, even competition from well known national brands.

You'd think it would be controlled almost exclusively by customer demand, but it really isn't. The bigger the grocery chain, the less control the individual store has over what and how much they stock.