Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Heck, I cook with lard ( I make my own from bacon mmmmmm), butter and coconut oil! My triglycerides are 46!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:08
CyberZerker

Plan: Bulletproof
Stats: 320/268/240 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
That whole "limit your cholesterol" thing is old and tired now. Anyone who spouts it isn't into the latest research that showed restricting cholesterol showed it made the numbers go UP, in a bad way.

The frustrating part is when it comes from the health professionals you are paying.

I've been working with my HMO to reduce my blood pressure and even though they are not giving me grief about being on Atkins, they still try to spout that stuff at me.

Just this morning I was telling one that I'd been a butter milk eggs an cheese eater all my life and have never had cholesterol problems.
She even admitted that my blood work looks good. But then she admonishes me that sometime it takes years for the negative effects to show up. I reminded her that I was 56 and she got that startled doe in the headlights look.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 15:39
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

CindySue48, if the brains of animals are so much higher in cholesterol than the rest of their tissues, I think it merely underlines the fact that cholesterol is an absolutely essential component of the brains of animals (and that includes humans by the way!).
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 20:36
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I must be in the minority. My cravings were REDUCED by low-carb, but not eliminated. For many, they don't just "go away". If you've ever done an extended fast, feelings of hunger do seem to go away after a while as well, but that doesn't mean you no longer need food, does it?

I'm not saying low-carb is bad. I believe it to be the optimal way to nourish our bodies. We weren't meant to shovel in refined flour and sugar, but to say carbs aren't necessary is kind of off-base as well, IMHO.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 00:09

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneMitch
CindySue48, if the brains of animals are so much higher in cholesterol than the rest of their tissues, I think it merely underlines the fact that cholesterol is an absolutely essential component of the brains of animals (and that includes humans by the way!).

My thoughts exactly!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 04:11
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I must be in the minority. My cravings were REDUCED by low-carb, but not eliminated.

Interesting that you bring this up. (And here I thought I was the only one!) I never had much trouble with cravings anyway, except at the usual "hormonal" times, but I did have hunger problems each and every time I tried to drop weight with a low fat diet. My body simply complains big time when I want to take some fat off.

I have to be on extremely strict Atkins (<30 carbs/day) in order to suppress hunger, and that level of carbs has nasty side effects for me--the dreaded "keto headache," lethargy, and sometimes even nausea. As soon as I get above 50 carbs/day, I feel much better, but the hunger comes back.

When I started intense exercise, I discovered that I had to go all the way to 100 or even 150 carbs/day in order not to become totally exhausted at the gym, and to avert a feeling of being generally depleted.

I don't think carbs are necessary for survival, but a controlled amount of the right carbs sure helps my quality of life, and my performance in the gym.