Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 10:50

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Here's what I found on Quercitin (from a site that isn't selling supplements as opposed to those that do and claim it cures asthma, protate cancer and many other illnesses) and it doesn't specifically state that it alleviates Asthma although it is said to inhibit the release of histamine but to what extent is unknown. Maybe that's why it works for some people and not for others. I think I'll just increase my intake of tea both green and black. I don't think it's worth supplementing and I'm certainly not going to start drinking red wine (or any alcohol) at my age.

"Quercitin is a bioflavonoid. Bioflavonoids are nutrients that are found in some fruits and various leafy green vegetables, among other things. Specifically, quercitin is naturally present in teas -- both green and black -- apples, onions, and beans. Red wine is also a rich source of this nutrient.

The Benefits of Quercitin
Bioflavonoids are potent nutrients that help maintain the health of collagen. Collagen is responsible for the firmness and health of our largest organ -- our skin. Indeed, wrinkles and sagging is the direct result of the breakdown of collagen.

Quercitin, along with other bioflavanoids, can also improve the health of capillaries and connective tissues. Because of this, the many benefits of quercitin include alleviating bruising, edema, varicose veins, and fragile capillaries.

Other benefits include its ability to inhibit the release of histamine. As such, it is said to help mitigate conditions brought on by some type of allergin (ex. eczema, asthma, hay fever, etc) and has been ascribed anti-inflammatory properties. Indeed, the prestigious Mayo Clinic, after conducting laboratory tests, concluded that quercitin may be useful in helping to treat or prevent prostate cancer.

In the words of the Mayo Clinic researcher Nianzeng Xing, Ph.D who presented the findings of the study: "Our laboratory results showed quercitin blocks the androgen activity in androgen-responsive human prostate cancer cell lines." "By blocking the androgen activity," he continued, "the growth of prostate cancer cells can be prevented or stopped." However, this preliminary laboratory research does not necessarily mean quercitin will actually benefit men who have prostate cancer or are at risk of getting it."

And here is an even more interesting article on Quercitin:

"Quercetin (quercitin, quercetrin) is chemically related to a class of flavonoids called (pro)anthocyanins. Early research on quercetin suggested that ingesting higher amounts may induce cancer, after it failed a standard - but somewhat controversial laboratory test called the Ames Test. This test supposedly identifies chemicals that might be arcinogenic. Subsequent studies however disputed those earlier findings and attributed cancer-protective or cancer-fighting properties to quercetin instead.

In a strange twist of circumstances, I have seen a few patients who developed cancerous tumors after experimenting with quercetin, and patient feedback on its touted anti-allergenic and anti-inflammatory effects has not been that favorable either, so despite the hype and "positive" studies, quercetin certainly fits the "Caveat Emptor" category.

Quercetin isn't the first to be listed among naturally occurring carcinogens and mutagens found in foods and beverages. Many phytochemicals contained in common fruits, vegetables, spices, grains, seeds, nuts, mushrooms, coffee, tea, and herbs are rodent carcinogens, while for instance Psoralens (found in parsnips, parsley and celery), are considered to be human carcinogens, as is acrylamide, contained in crisp breads and rolls, which is also a neurotoxin. Ingesting large amounts of grape seed extract has shown liver toxicity in some animal studies as well.

Nevertheless, test tube and animal studies - where many times astronomical amounts of food fractions are used - have generally little relevance to normal human consumption of these same types of foods, but they make great headlines, or they may assure next year's research grant for an otherwise starving research team"

taken from this site: http://www.acu-cell.com/

Last edited by Hellistile : Wed, Jul-07-04 at 11:27.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 17:47
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 140/136/129 Female 5' 4"
BF:just/want/less
Progress: 36%

Gosh, Twilight, you too? Do you think it's the area you live in? I know here, they call our tri state community 'sinus alley'. Even people who have never had allergy problems, when they move here, they get them to some degree; some worse than others. I believe most of it here is less foods, and more air pollution and pollen.

paula
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 18:47

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula7
Gosh, Twilight, you too? Do you think it's the area you live in? I know here, they call our tri state community 'sinus alley'. Even people who have never had allergy problems, when they move here, they get them to some degree; some worse than others. I believe most of it here is less foods, and more air pollution and pollen.

paula

Well, I live in the Twilight Zone, so anything's possible.

I'm sure some of it's pollution, but since everybody's complaining that all the manufacturing jobs are going overseas, there must have been a reduction here in pollution over the last 50 years. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if fossil fuel burning has something to do with it--it also produces mercury. Pollen is often blamed, but pollen must have been around a million years ago, and I'm willing to bet that allergies weren't common then. And also, for me this is all year around. I feel best in the winter when everything is dead, but not completely free of symptoms.

BTW, everybody in the east thinks their locale is "sinus alley." Just goes to show how widespread allergies are. And yes, despite how the people talk, Ohioans are easterners.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 03:45
Registered Member

Default oa

Ohions are easterners? Umm--well, my Georgia relatives are constantly calling me the damn yankee, so you may be right. But I'm not going to fight about it. hee
paula

Last edited by paula7 : Fri, Jul-09-04 at 03:49. Reason: got it wrong!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 06:26

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Default arthritic pains and hay fever

My arthritic pains in the shoulders have gone and in the knees decreased. I put the former down the lots of healthy omega-3 oils (roasted pumpkinseed oil, specifically, and linseed aka flaxmeal) andthe latter down to less weight being lugged around.
Also have been able to cut hugely the antihistamines since I cut out dairy.

Zan
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 06:41
Registered Member

Zan,
Where do you get roasted pumpkin seed oil? Or do you make it yourself? Pumpkin seeds I see everywhere, but I've never seen the oil.
paula