Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 14:00

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Will exercise/treadmill some weights stall my weight loss??

I have been consistently loosing weight but am worried that if I start a daily routine with exercise it will halt my weight loss??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 22:47

Plan: My own L/C
Stats: 225/198/188 Male 179cm
BF:
Progress: 73%

It happened to me , but I am sure the weight of the muscles makes us feel that we are not losing.. In the long run it’s better to exercise, because when the muscles reach a certain level they with search very hard for fat any where in the body.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 07:28

Plan: CKD
Stats: 150/150/138 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress:

some people has reported stalls when exercise was introduced. however, that was most probably due to overcompensation of calories for the exercise done. i would advice you to try it out and see for yourself.
that being said, i definitely recommend weight-lifting for weightloss as it helps to increase ur muscle mass and more muscles = higher metabolism.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 05:45

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Or, be a good-looking weak woman?

Bigger question than stalling: What's your goal? To be thin and hit a certain number on a scale, or to be healthy and live an active life and be able to participate in the activities that bring you pleasure, and weigh whatever it happens to be to support that?

Indeed, exercise = muscle growth (harder to do than it is to write about) can "stall" "weight loss." But there's much more to being healthy than simply hitting a lower number on a scale. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you look better at a higher # if you have more muscle. Muscle also burns more calories than fat, so you can eat a bit more and maintain, although the actual difference for most of us is trivial.

Stronger people do better in old age, and much exercise (not all) contributes to increased bone density, which starts to be a very important thing as women get older.

Your call.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 08:50

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

It may slow it down or halt it temporarily, but eventually, it will pick back up again. Either way, that shouldn't be the sole reason to avoid more training.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 09:45

BF:

Thanks!! I know its wrong but I am hooked on the numbers on my scale - it affects my day and if it isn't going down I really let it get to me so I'm afraid of doing anything that would change that.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 12:30

My wife was the same way. She eventually got passed that.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 12:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfunTH
My wife was the same way. She eventually got passed that.

I'm hoping that as I get closer to my goal I won't let the scale dictate my life so much or at all!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 12:37

you'll no doubt be a much happier person. :-)

more activity and fewer calories will get you there. get as close to your bodyweight as you can in grams of protein to support your muscle mass and you should be ok. managing your weight through being active is a better way to go.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 17:49

Plan: South Beach/Atkins
Stats: 227/213/175 Female 5ft
BF:starting size 20
Progress: 27%

well even if you stall all the exercise will tone you up and still help you lose those inches. i say dont worry to much about it and start a routine.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 10:01
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Actually, muscle doesn't burn many more calories than fat does--it's something like 6cal per pound for muscle vs 3 for fat. HOWEVER... muscle IS more dense than fat, so a pound of muscle is smaller and firmer than one pound of fat.

None of that really matters to the dieter, though, because you're not going to be building significant amounts of muscle when you're eating less calories. You will get firmer and tighter and sleek if you weight train, though, and isn't that what it's all about? Not to mention all the health benefits.

At any rate, when you first begin an exercise program (especially w/weight training), your muscles will be all WTF? and hold water for a while. This does cause a temporary "stall", but will only last a short time before things settle down.

This also ASSumes you are keeping your eats in check--as xerref mentions above, you have to be wary of possible increased appetite causing you to overeat.