Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 07:28

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Question Wierd experience...was this my imagination?

Oh dearest moderators (or other knowledgeable souls)...had something happen yesterday I've never had happen before...

Had an awesome workout...chest and tris, then 30 mins on the elliptical. Worked really hard and pushed all my limits! The wierd part is that after I got off the elliptical I could smell nail polish! Couldn't get the taste out of my mouth. Now I never went on Atkins so I doubt I've ever been in really deep ketosis...is that what that was? Pretty freaky. Went and downed 1/2 a protein shake and it went away.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 09:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sounds like that "amonia" smell they warn you about so vehemently in the BFL book Yes, it sounds like Ketosis. I've smelled it as amonia, as sweetness and as just plain old bad breath some days. More water and some food (protein) and it goes away.

Makes sense, you are losing fat this week and you are monitoring your food with a push to keeping protein higher. This would be a good time to make sure you get your water in - protein is naturally diuretic, more in means more water required.

N
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 11:10

Plan: Meat, leaves, & berries
Stats: 192/175/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Question Me too

Nat, I have always (or 75% of the time anyway), smelled the amonia smell after working out. Is it just ketosis? Why does BFL warn against it? Even when not LCing I have smelled it.

Can you tell us more?

Janice
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 12:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Janice, BFL warns against it because it is a low fat program. Low fat thinking = Ketosis is bad for you. They aren't perfect Ketosis is a normal biological state that we all enter into at some point in our lives. Chances are if you've had a good long sleep when you wake up you're in ketosis. There is a great thread about this in the Plan Comparisons forum called The Zone Vs. Ketosis for a more detailed explanation

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 17:00

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for confirming my suspicions...it was more a "neat" experience than anything else. Thought I had inhaled some of the vinegar/water stuff we spray on the equipment to wipe it down but it smelled different.

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 23:11

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default ketostink

I have had to throw away many a hat due to the ketosmell from exercising in ketosis.

As Nat said, more water will help, but it's not going to go away. Part of the fun of LC I guess ..