Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-14-08, 09:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/248/165 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 2%
Question Will exercise slow down my weight loss dramatically

I've lost over 25 pounds since being back on atkins and have done so with no exercise. However, I do want to start toning so i've started 30 min on my treadmill, about 3 sets of 12 rep of weight lifting for my arms and about 2 set of 25 reps of cruches. Two questions, is this going to slow down or stop my wieght loss and does this work out plan sound ok ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-14-08, 09:16
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

All I know is that I always work up an appetite doing my mountain walks. 45 minutes of 30º inclines.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-08, 11:03

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Different question

Do you have the records that would tell you?

what I mean is, are you tracking measurements as well as weight? Do you know exactly what you are eating, so that you can be sure any change concurrent with increased exercise is due to the exercise and not carb or calorie creep?

That's not a lot of strength training.

I feel better in general when I'm doing cardio.

How I feel is a goal; a number on a scale is not.

YMMV.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-14-08, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

What will slow down your weight loss is worrying about what the frikkin scale says. With exercise the muscles develop mild inflammation. This causes fluid to accumilate. The muscles swell and hurt. And the retained water shows up as more weight. Over time the muscles will enlarge and that also increases weight. For a woman it's not going to be a significant amount. I'd suggest leave the scale alone and get skin fold calipers. They won't lie to you. They won't register miniscule changes in body mass. They will only tell you what your percentage body fat is.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-14-08, 13:26

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

It might. It did for me - mostly because focusing on both tracking carbs and tracking fitness goals is a lot of work to do at the same time. I stalled in my weight loss for 10 months when I started exercising, but alot of it was due to carb creep, I must say. I am now more in a position to track both, but it is tough. It's far more important, IMO, to be active than to be thin, so I do what I have to do.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 14:23

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

It might but I think the health benefits and how it makes you feel is worth it. Besides if you take your measurements too you will see progress in inches lost even when the scale doesn't move. A personal trainer at my old gym would always ask our group if we would rather weigh 130 and look flabby or weigh 150 and look healthy, firm, toned, and actually look smaller then the 130lb flabby version? In fact she asked us to guess her weight and I swore she couldn't weight more then 130lbs soaking wet...Here she actually weighs 160...and she looks AMAZING! You would NEVER guess it!! It is definitely hard to do both or at least to start both at the same time but as long as you focus on the end results and know that the scale is NOT the true measure of your success I say working out is worth it!!

I also have to say that when I have committed to a work out program in the past people noticed a difference in my appearance lot sooner then when I was doing weight loss alone. And I would drop clothing sizes alot faster too! Now I am looking at getting recommitted to a work out plan again after my 2 week induction is over. I know how I FEEL will be so worth it! And I notice too that when I'm being active and working out because I feel so good it makes the eating right part easier too...and it encourages me to be more active just in general life. (taking an after dinner walk, taking the stairs, going for a swim,etc.) So to me those are all good reasons to put up with the "slower" weight loss. Best of luck whatever you choose to do!!!!!!!!!