Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-16, 04:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You win some, you lose some.

What's 117 million to her? Though it would be more helpful for her WW fans if she actually did lose weight. But...She. Loves. Bread.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...eight/90305990/

Quote:
Oprah Winfrey's halo effect on Weight Watchers (WTW) is disappearing fast. The media mogul and 10% owner of Weight Watchers has seen $117 million in wealth vanish as shares of the company have crashed 66% from their high notched November 2015 on enthusiasm over her involvement with the company. Shares of Weight Watchers are down another 68 cents, or 6.6%, to $9.68 Tuesday after the company said it is replacing its CEO. The value of the company has dropped $1.2 billion in value since the peak hit after Winfrey came on board. Reality is setting now as things haven't worked out as many investors hoped after Winfrey formed close professional ties with the company in October 2015. The stock is still above the $6.79 a share it traded for before Winfrey took her stake and became the third largest investor. But the level of enthusiasm is proving in hindsight to have been overdone. The company's revenue during the just completed second-quarter of $309.8 million is flat with a year ago, although profit is up 9.3%. The company lost $10.8 million in the first quarter.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Sep-14-16 at 07:21.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-16, 07:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

A predictable outcome. Sell, sell, sell!!!!

Fascinating that a celebrity thinks she can resurrect a company having a business plan based on myth simply by being a celebrity. What, the results could be different due to the association???

If Winfrey is really the mensch many think she is, she'll come clean and admit that the WW approach is not sound. Doubt this will ever happen, and it now brings into question Winfrey's ethics or lack of for being the Pied Piper in this case.

Edit: spelling correction.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Wed, Sep-14-16 at 13:42.
  #153   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-16, 09:05

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

make money point blank.
but no one can make money on extreme VLC or zero carb. We must be there cause it is where we evolved. Yet--ugh--so sad our progression into this world
  #154   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 06:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Oprah now claims a 40 pound loss, and new ad to air.
If slow and steady loss is good, 14 pounds for the year of 2016 qualifies.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/22/inv...hers/index.html (advises dumping stock)
http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/22/healt...ers/index.html?
New ad: http://people.com/bodies/oprah-lost...atchers-new-ad/

She's still eating bread...tacos and pasta too
  #155   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 08:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Oprah now claims a 40 pound loss, and new ad to air.
If slow and steady loss is good, 14 pounds for the year of 2016 qualifies.

She's still eating bread...tacos and pasta too

She's a self-confessed emotional eater... the revelation from Dr. Davis that wheat connects with opioid recepters was all I needed to know about THAT
  #156   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 10:21

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I have so much trouble understanding why Oprah clings to the ways of calorie counting. She's obviously an intelligent woman but has she outsourced her reasoning abilities when it comes to food? She trusts these people who feed her the eat less/exercise more line and it is just so obviously not working for her.

Not that eating low carb is necessarily a panacea for post-menopausal women, but I just want to shake her and say "at least give low carb a chance". It's still a struggle at times but you can be MORE successful with LESS struggle than counting those silly calories and remaining addicted to bread. She seems to have such a deep seated resistance to even trying LC.
  #157   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 10:31

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I think the only LC diets Oprah ever followed were:

1) the protein-sparing modified fast (800 cals/day Optifast or similar fake-food diet), when she reached her ideal weight, hauled a cart-load of fat onstage in her skinny jeans, and began binge-eating as soon as that episode finished filming (and reportedly couldn't zip the jeans later that same day), and

2) the Carb-Addicts Diet, where one of her reward meals sent her off the rails (not surprising since she is addicted to wheat). I thought I was an emotional eater until I stopped eating all grains, dairy proteins, legumes and food additives I'm sensitive to and realized it was these foods that changed my body chemistry/hormones to make me want to eat junk and caused the emotions. Without the crap in my system, emotions don't drive me to eat.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Dec-24-16 at 10:41.
  #158   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 11:23

I agree with you 100% on the heavy carbs/emotional eating connection. I had exactly the same experience.

I remember that Oprah show when she dragged out 67 lbs of fat on a wagon (it seems so self-hating now). If she connects low carb with Optifast, I can see why she doesn't want to go there again.

She needs my recipe for collard greens + bacon + kimchi.
  #159   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-16, 22:51

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I have so much trouble understanding why Oprah clings to the ways of calorie counting. She's obviously an intelligent woman but has she outsourced her reasoning abilities when it comes to food? She trusts these people who feed her the eat less/exercise more line and it is just so obviously not working for her.
Beg to differ - what is working for her, is getting lots of press, popularity with millions of followers, and profits. Constantly losing (Again!) and trumpeting that, gets her a surge of all three, over and over and over again.

If she wanted a stable, successful, eating plan with no more roller coaster, she would have to completely redo her business model. What would there be to talk about? would she have to turn into a food channel (about food) or Martha Stewart (gracious living), without all the smarmy sympathy and shoulder-crying-on to those who struggle? sheesh.

If 'low carb" ever had the brand of safety, legitimacy, and seals of approval that Weight Watchers does, she might go there. She absolutely needs something approved by the mainstream and adored by the masses to stay in the mainstream of popular love.
  #160   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-16, 10:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
If 'low carb" ever had the brand of safety, legitimacy, and seals of approval that Weight Watchers does, she might go there. She absolutely needs something approved by the mainstream and adored by the masses to stay in the mainstream of popular love.

You have SO nailed it, Seejay. Also why Dr Sanjay Gupta "explores" so many angles on his media appearances!
  #161   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-16, 11:04

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm with ya on Gupta too! oh that guy.
  #162   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-16, 12:28

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
...She needs my recipe for collard greens + bacon + kimchi.

Liz, I always like your posts! I even use your signature line in speech some times, it's powerful.

I like Oprah. I would hope that she would like me too. She says she likes bread. I liked bread too, and pasta. I stopped eating those things because someone was kind to me and showed me an alternative to try - that alternative was to not eat bread and pasta and other sugary things. I hope what Oprah has found will work for her and if it doesn't I would be glad to share what I have discovered... Not a truth but an alternative that causes less suffering for me and others that care for me. Those that care for me still eat bread, pasta and sugary things. I don't hold that against them - They may not need what I found.

Ok, but Collard Greens, Bacon and Kimchi???? COUNT ME IN!!

O is out picking some for the cook right now. At least I think those are collard greens...

#163   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-16, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Beg to differ - what is working for her, is getting lots of press, popularity with millions of followers, and profits. Constantly losing (Again!) and trumpeting that, gets her a surge of all three, over and over and over again.

Well, this is probably pointless dialogue since obviously neither of us is Oprah, and only she knows her true motives. With all due respect to your opinion, I personally think that Oprah would rather be thin than rich. I also think she honestly tries to help people.

Yes, she makes money from losing weight and encouraging others to lose along with her, but do you really think she sabotages her own weight loss to make more money? I don't. Instead, I sense a huge insecurity in her, and the same kind of self loathing that many fat/obese people feel. The adoration of her fans probably fills that hole for some period of time, but in my heart of hearts I think she'd rather be thin.

Here's a recipe for you, Thud (though I use bacon in place of ham and spicy kimchi in place of the red cabbage kimchi in the original): http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/collards-kimchi/ And, yeah, those sure look like collard greens to me.

Last edited by Liz53 : Mon, Dec-26-16 at 22:53.
  #164   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-16, 04:51

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Oprah became a millionaire 30 years ago, and her wealth has continued to increase into the billions since then.

Granted, reaching billionaire status doesn't stop others (Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, etc) from continuing to do whatever they can to earn more and more money, and yes, she's definitely earning something from WW. Have we figured out yet how much she's actually earning from her endorsement of WW? Given her long time financial status, I seriously doubt she's earning enough to warrant endorsing WW, just to continue on the weight loss roller coaster. I think she's just totally convinced that bread is the key to her dietary happiness, and WW gives her that bread. I think she truly does believe this is working for her and will continue to work for her for the rest of her life.

And it's possible that it may work for her, no matter how slowly she loses weight, or how difficult it is to maintain that loss. She has plenty of support all around her (a lot more than most WW members would have from weekly meetings) in order to stick to the diet, as long as she wants to stick to it. Not that her crew of support people wouldn't work the same way for her if she went on a normal, sustainable LC diet, but WW is so much more mainstream, more readily encouraged by doctors, nutritionists, and multiple versions of the USDA's food pyramid/plate.

It's so much easier to find a meal that fits WW when you go out to eat. How many restaurants have you gone to which proudly display the WW points for various items on their menu? And how many have you gone to that will even give you a clue how many carbs there are in the sauce they slather all over that perfectly LC steak? It's much more difficult to stay strictly LC when you eat out, but she's powerful enough, and rich enough that no matter where she goes, no matter what she chooses, her crew could always find out exactly what she's consumed in WW points for any given meal, and then set up portions for snacks and meals for the rest of the day/week for her. She doesn't need to do any of the work of counting points and figuring out what she still has left that she can eat the rest of the day/week, just eat what her chef gives her to eat.

The same could be done if she did a sustainable LC diet though - she has the support, and she has the money to stick to it with little effort. She just doesn't want to eat LC.

If I was in the position of choosing between continuing to accumulate more wealth than I could possibly spend in 5 lifetimes vs much more easily achieving and maintaining a healthy weight, I'm pretty sure no matter what fame and fortune I could achieve by going the WW route, I'd still be going for the much easier, much more sustainable LC route to a healthy weight.
  #165   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-16, 06:32

BF:

As I hear so often: "I can't live without bread!"