Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 18:54

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
FORGET HEART RATE!!! FORGET FAT BURNING ZONE!!

Because -- ? You use rating of perceived exertion to determine HIIT?

Cheers--
Terry-24
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 16:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 273/265/200 Male 71"
BF:33%
Progress: 11%

I think weight training really helps in fat burning. I have a little home gym made of a treadmill, a stationary bike, and a Bowflex Conquest. I break my weight training into 3 day sets and I take one day break between the sets.

I do cardio (jogging or bike-ride) first thing in the morning for 10-20 minutes to kick start the metabolism, and then I do a short 6-10 min cadio session right before each day's workout. I found this combination really effective and I've lost almost 10 lbs in 2 weeks.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 16:56

Plan: Moderate Low-Carb <100g
Stats: 130/110.2/115 Female 5'3.5
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 132%

Yeah, the weight training definitely rocks. I've noticed huge differences in my body and I'm waaaay stronger now as well.

Today I had a total crap weights experience. I think I've been cutting so many carbs that I felt the burn after 6 reps out of 12 for every machine I did., about 11 - 6 arm/back/chest ones and then 5 leg ones.

In fact, I didn't even attempt the leg press today, I was too wobbly after the other ones. Even walking on the treadmill for my 2.5 "cooldown" for 15 minutes felt iffy.

So I came home, had two eggs, one slice of p-butter toast (high protein low carb bread) and then two handfulls of cheerios.

I got to feeling normal lickety split.

I thought that whole "refeeding" nonsense was just that, nonsense/horseshit, especially for someone like me who's not an athelete... but I guess I work out enough to merit one every two weeks? I have no idea. All I know is that today was horrible.

My weight on the machines has definitely gone WAY up, but I think it was all about the food today or lack there of. Blah.

Anyone have any words of wisdom about, well, not exactly "carb loading" but something like that while weight training? I feel so guilty eating carbs. I mean sure, bring on the broccoli and all that, but fruit and grains skeeeeer me.

I guess low carbing almost 10 years will do that.. but still, I'm almost to where I want to be and I don't want to fook it up! However, I don't want to DIE either, so there's that! HA!

Any help would be appreciated.

Julia
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoulia
Anyone have any words of wisdom about, well, not exactly "carb loading" but something like that while weight training? I feel so guilty eating carbs. I mean sure, bring on the broccoli and all that, but fruit and grains skeeeeer me.

I'm no expert but I've been lifting weight for many years. I would tend to drink a bit of OJ or other juices right before the weight training session; usually 8 oz. or less. Don't worry about weight gain because they will be turned into fuel pretty darn fast as you start lifting. I'd also thinking about supplementation - I take 1000mg of creatine right before the workout session to give my muscle some pump and to help recovery. Also, drink a lot of water after the workout as you're body's gonna need it. Hope this help a little.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 17:13

Yep, it does help a lot, thanks.

I think I'm just getting a little excited with the results so I just want my body to eat THE FAT IT HAS for its energy. Shouldn't have to drink or eat anything first!

But I realize that's not gonna get me anywhere, so thanks.

I know the orange juice will be burned off lickety split since I'm there an hour doing weights..... it's just a mind thing. I'M OBSESSED! I have small children! I NEED A PADDED ROOM.

Thanks again,

Julia
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 00:08

Quote:
Yep, it does help a lot, thanks.

I think I'm just getting a little excited with the results so I just want my body to eat THE FAT IT HAS for its energy. Shouldn't have to drink or eat anything first!

But I realize that's not gonna get me anywhere, so thanks.

I know the orange juice will be burned off lickety split since I'm there an hour doing weights..... it's just a mind thing. I'M OBSESSED! I have small children! I NEED A PADDED ROOM.

Thanks again,

Julia

I totally understand how you feel. I was training my body to eat the fat too. The progress is real visible and I do get very excited every morning... just felt that some fat has melted during the sleep!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 09:53
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Plan: Atkins (total, not net)
Stats: 194/151.2/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35.8%/19%/17%
Progress: 97%

Quote:

I thought that whole "refeeding" nonsense was just that, nonsense/horseshit, especially for someone like me who's not an athelete... but I guess I work out enough to merit one every two weeks? I have no idea. All I know is that today was horrible.

If you're not doing any heavy lifting, you may not need a refeed. However, I think that carb cycling is in order, given the way you've felt at the gym. Try eating some good carbs, but higher then you'd normally eat, right before you go to the gym and again after you get home. (suggestions....corn, steel cut oats w/ berries, higher GI fruit....but make sure that you do combine it with protein)
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 11:16

I'm not in the free weight room yet, but what I do on the machines is heavy to me! HA! But yeah, I'm not sitting there at the leg extension machine doing a piddly 20 pounds super fast like some of those other crazy women are doing. I've got it up to 95 (started at 40 9 weeks ago, and THAT was hard) and I do three sets of 12, normal speed.

Yesterday I barely got to 6 and it was KILLING ME. I usually get to ten and then 11 and 12 kill me.

All my other machines were the same. So I think I'm needing something..... I've been really REALLY low on the carbs lately.. i mean... REALLY LOW. So I think it finally hit. Yesterday was the FIRST day that it happened though... after 7 months of working out and 9 of those weeks being weight training. So I guess that's good?

ANYWAY! I'm blithering! Thank you for your post! I forgot all about steel cut oats.... mmmmm, tasty good..... a little of that, a hunk -o- protein... that should be fine i'm thinkin'.

Julia
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 12:15
Strong Chicks Rock!!

I didn't mean to sound like I thought you were one of those women.

I guess I should have included my definition of heavy lifting, which is the heaviest weight you can do no more than sets of 5 reps with. Since you mentioned higher reps, that's why I said you weren't doing heavy lifting. I didn't mean that the weight you were doing for 12 reps was light.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 12:19

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Wait a minute..you've answered all your own questions ghoulia.

I would never drink Oj in the first place, but it is silly before a workout. It would be like drinking a coke.

You could actually hamper your performance with unstable blood sugar levels.. some may do well with it, but it could be disasturous.

I'm not crazy about eating any carbs preworkout..it is fuel, so again, why would your body burn the fuel you have stored.

Carbs are the bodies preferred fuel source..so why take them in? Why then would your body burn fat??

I have mentioned it before, but I see these people on their treadmills, sucking down Gatorade and these other replacement drinks. Then they wonder why they can't lose weight.

Any calories they have burned are being replaced..and don't get me started on the carbs and crap in these drinks.

How about a small protein shake or some almond butter,,something to that effect.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 12:25
Strong Chicks Rock!!

If she's wobbly and can't finish a workout, chances are her blood sugar is low.

Since 95% of fat loss comes from diet, I don't think adding a few low GI carbs before a workout is going to stop her progress. I've experimented with a weekly refeed (300 carbs per day) for the last two weeks and have lost more in the last 2 weeks then the preceeding 2 months on virtually no carbs.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyGSDs
I didn't mean to sound like I thought you were one of those women.

I guess I should have included my definition of heavy lifting, which is the heaviest weight you can do no more than sets of 5 reps with. Since you mentioned higher reps, that's why I said you weren't doing heavy lifting. I didn't mean that the weight you were doing for 12 reps was light.

Oh yes you did! You think I'm weak! WOE IS ME! I'm off to off myself!

No, I catch your disco funky for sure.

And speaking of one of "those women", while I was doing my HIIT today, I saw one on the leg press, seriously, doing 20lbs. HELLO? Now I don't know if she's got an injury and her dr said to do 20, but, um, on the leg press? Isn't it like pushing air? Not like I'm miss hoity toity, I didn't start OFF pressing my body weight, but even 60 feels light. Whatever! Bygones!

Gostrydr - Maybe I just like talking to myself on this thread and then you all chime in for reassurance? Hee hee... nawww, not really. But yes, I agree about the body eating its own fat and all that, but yesterday was waaaaay different. I've never felt like that before it was really weird. And my carbs have been basically NONEXISTENT the past 7 days or so... so just thinking that I need to add some more back in.

Yeah, OJ is NOT my friend, so I wouldn't have had that anyway, but perhaps 4oz of protein shake or 8 ounces before weights tomorrow if I feel weird.

Today my cardio was great though. Last night I had a MOST EXCELLENT steak salad from a mexican joint, it had dressing AND salsa >gasp!< on it. It also came with a small bag of corn tortilla chips, about a serving. It was PERFECT. I ate them all... and then I had three forkfulls of brown rice... Still in ketosis today and my cardio didn't suffer at ALL. So maybe if I do at little sumthin' like that the night BEFORE... SOMETIMES that'll be good. Oh who knows! I'm just blithering on again because I'm CRAZY! I HAVE SMALL CHILDREN! I HAVE NO ONE TO TALK TO! TAKE PITY ON ME! Hee hee.

Thanks for your responses you guys... I feel babystepped and virtually loved.. sniffle!

And yes, Gostrydr, my HUSBAND is one of those Gatorade drinking fools. Gimme a fookin' BREAK already - ya work out 3 days a week and you think you "neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed" gatorade. PEESHAW!!!!!! Dumb dumb head.

Thanks again guys,

Julia
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 14:48
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Quote:
Oh yes you did! You think I'm weak! WOE IS ME! I'm off to off myself!

No, I catch your disco funky for sure.

And speaking of one of "those women", while I was doing my HIIT today, I saw one on the leg press, seriously, doing 20lbs. HELLO? Now I don't know if she's got an injury and her dr said to do 20, but, um, on the leg press? Isn't it like pushing air? Not like I'm miss hoity toity, I didn't start OFF pressing my body weight, but even 60 feels light. Whatever! Bygones!

I see that all the time at my gym and just chuckle to myself.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 15:16

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Ghoulia try this..

Have a carb only meal every 2-3 days..Starchy carb..no fat or protein with it.

Lovemygsd..I'm still not sure how taking in 300 grams of carbs a day promotes weight loss..what mechanism??

I'm am way up on carb cycling and such, but as we all know carbs blunt fat burning..simple as that.

So I'm not trying to be a weenie, i just want to know why you think it is that taking in 300 grams of carbs a day is the reason for your new found weight loss??
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
Ghoulia try this..
Have a carb only meal every 2-3 days..Starchy carb..no fat or protein with it.

Ooooh! That makes mother feel guilty just THINKING about it! EEeeek! But I'll give it a whirl.

I'm thinkin' it should be a middle of the day type meal? Would it matter? I'm just thinking that if I ate it at dinner it would just lump back onto my ass as fat. Might as well just tape it there if it's going to do that.

But, if it's a lunch thing, then some of it can get used for the rest of the day and then the rest of it can hang out until the next day's workout.

Oh lord.... I've finally flipped my lid. I'm being anthropomorphic towards my carbs now. THAT'S IT! CALL ME A SHRINK!

Julia