Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-10, 09:11

Plan: Atkins and Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 320/205/195 Male 6 Feet
BF:Haaaa, 10% baby
Progress: 92%
Default SWAT Training while on LC/ZC and Keto

Well, Im getting ready. SRT/SWAT Training starts in October 3rd and the qualifier is September 14th. I know Im ready for it. Ive doing my training for more than a year and were doing everything in this South Miami, Florida heat. That is a challange. Everybody in my station knows that Im going for it and it will be the most intense hazing you can go through in three weeks. I compare it to SEAL/UDT training.

Here is my schedule:
Wake up at 4am, I just cant sleep anymore and Im in bed by 1030 or 11pm. With four kids, a wif, and two elderly parents in tow, its a hand full.

I jog with a 80 lb vest at least 1/2 a mile for added resistance.
Then I take off the damn thing, arrgghhh, its freaking heavy.
Then sprint for about 1.5 miles to try and make my time in under 12 minutes, I got it down to 10.30, then depending how Im feeling, I run either another 1.5 or 3 miles just to build up endurance.
Next, I rest for five minutes then do 10 full extension pull ups, palms facing out, in, then together. Im a little out-of-breath by now.
Afterwards, 50 situps in under 2 minutes, that really sucks because by now my lower back is saying, HELLO!!!! you wanna STOP that shit!!
The easy part is next, push ups. I can knock out about 70-80 in about 2 minutes.
The final thing is swimming, need to swim 100 meters with no time limit then tread water actively for 15 minutes. Thats the pain in the ass.

I also do full extension dips, leg raises, hello dollies and strap twenty pound ankle weights to increase. NOW IM DYING, WHERES THE COFFIN?

Just kidding, Im not that tired at this point. I may be ovetraining, but I need to go to that extreme. We have our instructors, who are cadres, who work out every every day. Did I mention that they work out every day? LOL! Most of wannabes dont make it due to injury, or not making it through the firearms portion of the qualifer. I think personally that when they see how physically demanding it is, they actually and on purpose, flunk out.

I belong to two other specialized units in the Department. What motivated me was that I recognized people who were overweight and they tried out for it and actually made the training portion. I told myself, "What!? If they can do it so can I." I started off by weight 320lbs and went down significantly. You know what they say in the military, " If you want to be a GI, you gotta be thin!" And thats what I did. My wif, (its not a misspelling), started me on the Atkins and did alot of research on my own. I modified it now where I do the maintaince and if possible, the Keto as well. I have seen a 180 degree difference in my body, mind and soul. I will update this blog when I can during the training portion of the SRT/SWAT, if I have time. Hell, I just read the K9 portion of another unit who has a similar training qualifer. Except for the swimming. I dont think dogs can sniff underwater. But I do know of a dog name Blue, its a song about a Dog in SEAL training, for you military guys, you may know it. Well, this is all I can say. I will post my end result picture sometime this weekend. Ive maintained by weight at 205-210, but my bodyfat is at 12%.... I should lose 2 more % by October if I keep it up. By the way, I work for the Miami Dade Police Depatment and I go by a nick name of "Tiny" That was that name that they gave me when I was in the academy five years ago because I was so big, you know oxymoron. Oh well, be back soon.

DDD
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-10, 17:19

Its been raining down here in South Florida for the past two days. I worked a 18 hour shift in WM yesterday from 7am-1am the next and when I woke this morning, freaking freaking tired. I had to run some errands for my dad, gruelling. Well, its about 7:20pm and seems to stop raining. I cant let up on this training. SOOOOOO, let me get my ass out there.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-10, 08:31

Hey Everybody,

Woke up at four and did my resistance bands, thank god nobody saw me, LOL! I sprinted 1.5 miles and ran another 3 miles, damn, Im tired. Getting ready to do my other stuff before I go to work. Measured my body fat and Im at 10% bodyfat and still at 207lbs. I rechecked all the numbers...three times just to be sure. I got a comment yesterday that Ive become so vascular, all my veins in my arms, legs and abs are coming through like gang busters. Wow, its really impressive. Well, Im off to go work out. Im doing the Insanity workout starting Saturday for one week just to build up my speed and endurance. Lets see what Shaun Tee can do for me. Keep it up guys and gals...

DDD
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-10, 10:10
Lets Do This!

Plan: Atkins/ Gastric Bypass
Stats: 346/218/190 Male 5'11"
BF:All Over!!!
Progress: 82%

I was just reading your blog and story and I have to tell you how impressed i am. 10% body fat! Holy shit! You have done such an outstanding job! Your a true inspiration. I'm hoping to see 200lbs one day.

I'm a paramedic and that can definatly be demanding and I feel so better with the weight off that I have already lost. I'm really considering going to the police acadamy and getting my law enforcement certification. I do some part time work now as a police dispatcher. I just know I will never pass it if i dont get into better shape and loose more weight. I too have 4 kids and a wife, so life is definatly demanding.

I will be keeping tabs on your progress through SWAT training and hope nothing but the best for you. Again...Great, Great job!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-10, 08:33

Thanks MED1862!!! I was like you buddy, and I did it. I even went through the academy at 270, arrgghhhh. I was that last one in everything, especially in running. I hated being last, not IM THE BIGGETY BOMB IN RUNNING!!! In fact on Sept 17, were doing the 5K to support Diabetic Reseach in Coral Gables, Florida. Oh yeah, Im running that bitch!! Im listen to alot of cadences when I run and your "Easy Day" slogan brings back memories.

Well, today I sprinted 1.5 miles and then decided to run another 3.0 miles. A friend of mine who is a Triathlete gave me some good advise. CONTROL MY BREATHING. Inhale slowly and deeply and exhale fast, but you need to completely exhale as to build up C O 2. Man!!!! I did that today and I wasnt tired, at all. But you have to concentrate on your breathing. The bodys natural reaction is to inhale and exhale fast to meet the demands of the body energy and lactic acid build up. Im telling you MED, I wasnt tired. In fact yesterday I did four and was fatigued. Today I did five and wasnt even out of breath and I was running, not jogging. Whew!! Secret to pass along to all those who want to improve cardiovascularly. I was also doing situps today hanging upside down on my inversion table and damn! Just doing ten was the equivalent of like 30. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!! Tomorrow were going to the gun range to practice shooting all freaking day in this freaking hot ass humid weather. Two Mondays from today is my SWAT tryout.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-10, 09:10

Default Uploaded My In Progress Photo As Of Today!!

This is me at 205lbs at 10% ~ the Ripe ol Age of 44!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-10, 18:54

This past Friday we did a shooting tryout in the gun range. Let me tell you, it was frigging hot. Our gun range is enclose in all three directions with no roof. It was about 93 with the heat index of over 100 degrees. I went through 4 liters of water in about 4 hours. Me and the rest of the guys trying out for SWAT were drenched in sweat. Many of us got dehydrated because we couldnt keep the minerals in our system long enough and it was affecting our shooting performance. Of course, its doesnt help that the only thing I had to eat was a friggin ATKINs shake with all my vits and mins. That was really stupid of me. I should of carbed up at least and I didnt. Many of my instructors were on hand to give us pointers. That is unheard of in my history with the department. Even though I lost all the weight and had the body fat percentage that I was boasting about, they were below five percent and ripped beyond belief. The whole training was just a small glimpse of what is to wait for me. I was making a mistake of anticipating the shot by jerking the trigger. One of the cadres who is a firearm instructor showed me a trick and it worked. He asked me to hand him my gun, and while I was not looking. He took out the bullet in the chamber. He gave me back my gun and on his command, he told me to fire at the target. I jerked the trigger with no bullet firing. It was a reaction that I had. He told me, "See what you did, you anticpated the shot and thus jerking the trigger." He taught me, "Just squeeze the trigger slowly when you have the sights lined up." OMG! what a difference, my shots were 40 out of 48 in the beginning and now its 45 out of 48. I know when I qualify, its going to be 48 out 48. The day after I ran five miles and worked the beach. Until 12am. My Sgt, got his truck stuck in the sand at 8pm. By the time the wrecker came, and try to get my Sgt out, he got stuck. So, we grabbed a shovel and started making a trench about thirty feet long and about eight feet wide. WHAT A WORKOUT. I wasnt even tired. Well, four hours later, we got both wreckers out. What a day!! Oh, I forgot to tell you that it was raining too. Argghhh. Then, when I went to return the shovel to the fire rescue guys, they locked me in the beach park. I had to call the Park Ranger to get me out. Jeeessss... Well, Im shooting tomorrow again. Wish me luck ppl.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 06:35
Lets Do This!

LOL... sounds like you had an interesting weekend. Way to kick some ass though and keep training hard. Your going to nail your SWAT tryout.

Funny beach story with your Sgt, its always a bit funnier when it happens to your superior...lol.

Hope your shooting went well yesterday. Keep up the great job and have a fantastic week.

Later
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 07:19
4 phases Use them

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 250/250/180 Male 70 Inches
BF:ack/ack/ack
Progress: 0%

You inspire me DLA!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 19:36

Hey Guys whassup?

Did my shooting on Labor Day!! What!? No day off? Hell no, too close to rest and ease up. It was hot on Monday, but I was more prepared and didnt get fatigued like I did last Friday. I doubled my potassium intake and had a 4oz bowl of oatmeal. Big difference. My shooting was soooo much better. Im so proud of myself. Now Im more confident in my shooting ability. I was looking on You Tube and saw an exercise to control your trigger pull while sighthing the target. Grab a hollow point bullet and balance it on the tip of your gun. Afterwards, slowly pull the trigger. If you have control of your breathing and squeeze your trigger without making the bullet lose its balance, then your there. Well, I took me about 15 minutes but I did it. Whew!! And some say just aim and pull the trigger, whatever!? I did my sprint this morning and decided to do the Insanity Workout, Max Cardio Conditioning. That was great!! I was pooped afterwards. Im doing a detail tomorrow for Roshshanna Holiday? *spelling* Every year they pick me for the details because the Jewish Community loves me. I always have stories for them about my field work. Anyway, it pays the bills and it beats busting my ass in the streets. You guys are awesome, keep up the work.

John, keep it up. Its not how we fall, its what happens afterwards that defines our world.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 19:40

Med,

The funny thing about the beach story is that I freaking told him, DO NOT DRIVE THE TRUCK NEAR THE WATER!! What does he do? Well, you know the rest. I told the guys on my squad the story and they were peeing in their pants.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 06:35
Lets Do This!

Just checking in to see how the training is going. Keep it up buddy, it's really good to see someone who has been so successful!

Have a great day!