Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 08:15

Plan: somewhat low-carb
Stats: 136/134/130 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbergrl
LoCarbJ-
I used to do triathlons and a rule of thumb that I learned was that your weekly milegae should center around 3 times the length of that event in your race - and no longer. So, if your race includes a 6 mile run, you would want to do no more than 18 miles a week running. you can stress one event each week to avoid overtraining....a hard running week will mean an easy swimming week, etc.
Another important thing is training yourself to be a really, really efficient swimmer. DRILLS, DRILLS, DRILLS are your friends, rather than laps and laps of swimming with poor technique. You want to be able to swim without using up too much precious energy. When I raced I learned that Im' never going to be able to swim that great in the race (roughwater swimming) so I just wante dto be fit enough, swim-wise so that the swim wouldn't tire me out too much for the next two events, which I was better at anyways.
okay, enough lecturing from me!

Okay, that last part makes enormous sense to me! I'm planning on doing my first triathlon in two years - yes I know that's longterm planning, but it's not feasible for me to purchase a bike and affiliated equipment right now, so I've got a goal race for 2006.

Marcia

"The miracle isn't that I finished...the miracle is that I had the courage to start" - John "the Penguin" Bingham
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 09:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

Oh, and I'm with you on the chocolate, except for I prefer the more healthy version as a special treat now and then - milk chocolate! Besides, chocolate is a vegetable - it comes from the cocoa bean and beans are vegetables. Please don't tell me I'm stretching it a bit!

Actually, dark chocolate is the BEST chocolate. It has the least sugar, least butterfat, and most anti-cancer antioxidants. It's best to get high quality dutch dark chocolate.

It's interesting what you were saying about carb vs fat mileage. Don't most runners say they hit the wall at about 18 miles? Hmmmm

Mostly runners hit the wall because of glycogen shortage in the muscles, or dehydration, or improper training. didn't hit the wall in my marathon, but then again, the day before the race I ate with abandon at the expo! (all those yummy energy bars) I also did my longest run at 24 miles at near race pace, so I was very confident about the race. I think it is fine to have no carbs during my training, but int he end I really wanted to reach my goal (under 4hours, which I did, at 3:51) and I KNEW that with carbs the race would be easier, and I would go back to strict low carb afterwards.
I highly recommnd the gels. They are a quick burst of carbs that will get burned up quickly, and by the end of the race the carbs will no longer be in your system. I feel an almost immediate surge in energy when I use them. In the RnR marathon, I took one at mile 8 and one a little later, maybe at 14. I'm sure this is why I didn't bonk, and actually finished with my last few miles very strong! I try to use them TKD style, so that I get the carbs right before or during the workout so my depleted muscles can really suck up allt he glycogen they need and burn it out.

My carb intake on a daily basis is VERY low, near induction levels. However, in preparation for a long run the next day I will eat a lower fat dinner, with a low GI carb such as yams. The low fat helpst he body absorb the carbs better. In the a.m. I will have oatmeal (if I'm hungry) and bring GU with me ont he long run. I've never, ever been a carb-loader though. I've always hated pasta, rice, bagels and bread!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 10:17

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia11
2-3gm?? Holy cow, that is low! Is that just for the 10ks, or do you increase it a bit for longer distances?

BTW, no problem about the threadjacking!

Marcia

I've never run distances longer than 10k. I have run 10k and then gotten on a bike and pedaled. I have also bicycled for 4 to 5 hours on century rides. I normally eat every 3 hours. When I am participating in an endurance event (like running, cycling, tri) I will usually eat a light snack every hour-and-a-half or so, but I still keep it down to 2 or 3 grams of carbohydrates. The only time that I would ever bonk was in the very beginning of my training. Now a usually wear a heart-rate monitor and I make sure that I keep my heart-rate in my aerobic zone (for me 160-165) until the last part of the event (which is where I tend to kick it into high gear and burn through any remaining glycogen I might have left).

Jeff
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 13:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
I've never run distances longer than 10k. I have run 10k and then gotten on a bike and pedaled. I have also bicycled for 4 to 5 hours on century rides. I normally eat every 3 hours. When I am participating in an endurance event (like running, cycling, tri) I will usually eat a light snack every hour-and-a-half or so, but I still keep it down to 2 or 3 grams of carbohydrates. The only time that I would ever bonk was in the very beginning of my training. Now a usually wear a heart-rate monitor and I make sure that I keep my heart-rate in my aerobic zone (for me 160-165) until the last part of the event (which is where I tend to kick it into high gear and burn through any remaining glycogen I might have left).

Jeff

I do the every three hour small meal/snack thing myself. It really works for me.

I confess to not having a heart rate monitor, tho' it has been written down on my want list for quite some time. Other things just seem to end up taking priority.

I don't tend to have a problem with getting negative splits. I always finish my races strong (tho' last summer's marathon was the exception) and tend to kick by a lot of people over the last few kms on my way toward the finish line. But I know the monitor would still be of benefit.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 14:05

BF:

Quote:
Oh, and I'm with you on the chocolate, except for I prefer the more healthy version as a special treat now and then - milk chocolate! Besides, chocolate is a vegetable - it comes from the cocoa bean and beans are vegetables. Please don't tell me I'm stretching it a bit!

Actually, dark chocolate is the BEST chocolate. It has the least sugar, least butterfat, and most anti-cancer antioxidants. It's best to get high quality dutch dark chocolate.

Yes, I know the dark is preferred, but I really don't like it very much. I don't remember if I've ever had the dutch dark, so maybe that's it.

Quote:
It's interesting what you were saying about carb vs fat mileage. Don't most runners say they hit the wall at about 18 miles? Hmmmm

Mostly runners hit the wall because of glycogen shortage in the muscles, or dehydration, or improper training. didn't hit the wall in my marathon, but then again, the day before the race I ate with abandon at the expo! (all those yummy energy bars) I also did my longest run at 24 miles at near race pace, so I was very confident about the race. I think it is fine to have no carbs during my training, but int he end I really wanted to reach my goal (under 4hours, which I did, at 3:51) and I KNEW that with carbs the race would be easier, and I would go back to strict low carb afterwards.
I highly recommnd the gels. They are a quick burst of carbs that will get burned up quickly, and by the end of the race the carbs will no longer be in your system. I feel an almost immediate surge in energy when I use them. In the RnR marathon, I took one at mile 8 and one a little later, maybe at 14. I'm sure this is why I didn't bonk, and actually finished with my last few miles very strong! I try to use them TKD style, so that I get the carbs right before or during the workout so my depleted muscles can really suck up allt he glycogen they need and burn it out.

Silly question - what's TKD?

I'm afraid my body just does not like the gels or the energy bars. I am yet to find a brand that doesn't make me vomit (sorry!) or at least make me nauseous, even with a good water chaser. I can however use diluted Gatorade (50/50), but that's not nearly sufficient, I know. I've ended up going with small granola/trail mix bars. Again, not the same thing, but they don't seem to bother my g-i tract in the same way.

It's interesting that you use the gels at 8 and 14 miles. What I've found so far is that the race organizers here provide gels at about 30 or 31km (18mi). Maybe they should provide them just a little sooner? Again, not for me, though. sigh. Maybe it is a brand issue?

Quote:
My carb intake on a daily basis is VERY low, near induction levels. However, in preparation for a long run the next day I will eat a lower fat dinner, with a low GI carb such as yams. The low fat helpst he body absorb the carbs better. In the a.m. I will have oatmeal (if I'm hungry) and bring GU with me ont he long run. I've never, ever been a carb-loader though. I've always hated pasta, rice, bagels and bread!

I wish I hated pasta, rice, whole grains, etc! I love them unfortunately. But my willpower is good enough that I can cut back considerably (I have on a regular basis during the last several months) when I'm not training very hard, and especially through the winter when I don't run the same distances.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: IF Fung
Stats: 237/168/155 Male 5ft10in
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
I started running after I went low-carb and do just fine in the 10k distances. I never take in more than 2 or 3 grams of carbs with breakfast before an event and usually no more than 2 or 3 grams after, for a snack.

Question for TrailRunner and Eva:

I've worked my running base up to 10-12 miles a week in preparation for the triathlon that I did last Saturday (it included a level 10k run at near sea-level altitude). My next event is another triathlon in October that includes a 10k run (at high altitude, Lake Tahoe, about a mile above sea-level), and later that month I am doing an event that includes a 10k distance that alternates between mountain biking and trail-running, every other mile. My question is: How much weekly running should I maintain in preparation for these events?

Should I keep my weekly running distances at 10-12 miles?

Jeff

P.S. Sorry to threadjack.

Hi Jeff,

More is better, of course, so I'll put in what I believe is the absolute minimum to survive the 10k. Do a long run for 60 minutes every week as well as a speed session on some other day of the week not adjacent to the long run or any other hard workout. This should be close to your current 10 miles per week. If you are struggling when you reach the run leg, there may be some value in lengthening your long run to 90-120 minutes every two or three weeks so that there is extra recruitment of fast twitch muscle to slow twitch work and to "teach the body to burn fat" exclusively on the run leg. If you are doing well on the run leg but want to go faster, then a third workout with tempo running would be good.