Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 08:00

Plan: SBD
Stats: 250/250/175 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry Does anyone else get annoyed by people?

I know it is a weird question. But I spent the better half of my weekend being irritated by my 98 pound in laws who ate crap all weekend.

Not that they aren't irritating to begin with, but here I am following the plan to the letter and needing to lost a gazillion pounds and I can't even count how many snickers eggs I watched my sister in law put in her mouth. Then I have my mother in law (whom my 14 year old daughter described as having her brains fall out her ears before she opens her mouth, not known for having much couth) tell me that I should just force myself to eat only lettuce.

I seriously wanted to clock her.

I guess I am finding myself pissed at them for being able to eat (and say) anything they want and even more pissed at myself for letting myself get to this point.

Thanks for the vent.

Melanie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 08:13

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Oh gosh Melanie, I don't know how you managed NOT to clock her one. Who the heck says things like that? "Just force yourself to eat only lettuce." What a bag.

Maybe we can think of some clever come back lines...turn the humiliation around back to her, hopefully forcing her to understand how inappropriate she is being. Maybe you could say "What an interesting thing to say. Seems to me that if a person just ate lettuce they would die of malnutrition. Is that what you're getting at? There are some good books and websites about how to handle difficult/toxic people. Arm yourself with some good comeback lines, and avoid her whenever possible! (Your daughter sounds cool, by the way!)

Hang in there - you've lost 10 lbs following a sensible diet. The rest will come off! Believe in yourself and don't let this silly woman drag you down.

Sue
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 09:56

Plan: Was Paleo...now Zero Carb
Stats: 270/213/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 57%

OOOoooooo....I would have snapped if my skinny MIL told me that. People who say things like that are usually close-minded jerks or uninformed idiots - open mouth, insert foot, swallow hard.

Just keep doing what you're doing....you'll show her!

Anne
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 10:04
Registered Member

Plan: Mixed variety
Stats: 120/115/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

Well, hon, I was the thin one who could eat like that. Unfortunately for me, it did catch up with me. I am thin but prediabetic.

No sense in feeling irritated with other people and their lives and choices. We all have enough on our own plates to worry about. Being nasty to others doesn't help anyone and certainly doesn't elevate oneself.

Take care of you.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 10:08

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'd say real nonchalantly (in the tone of a sweet lil' southern belle)....."Well everyone has their ax to grind I guess.....don't they shug?" Then she'll say, "What do you mean?" Say, well I guess it is easier to lose weight than to get a personality transplant! It's a shame they don't make those yet. Must be hard being such a "Debbie downer. I'd read one of those "power of positive thinking books" if I were you. Bless your heart!"

(You have to be really convincing....like you believe what you are saying and pity her!)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-10, 20:19

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 170/164/140 Female 5' 4''
BF:
Progress:

Hey guys...just wanna chime in, regarding the in-laws I hate 99% of mine and some of my own relatives....can't stand any of my in-laws they SUCK all the way...they always try to sabotage my diet...telling me eat this eat that...then afterwards they make comments as to 'omg how thick I am' screw them...I actually cannot stand any of them...they can all rot in hell as far as I'm concernd...and when I get to my ideal weight I'm gonna rub it in to their faces...thanks for letting me vent!!!! I've been a bit in the irritable face of the diet...must be the lack of sugar
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 05:51
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemom
I know it is a weird question. But I spent the better half of my weekend being irritated by my 98 pound in laws who ate crap all weekend.

Not that they aren't irritating to begin with, but here I am following the plan to the letter and needing to lost a gazillion pounds and I can't even count how many snickers eggs I watched my sister in law put in her mouth. Then I have my mother in law (whom my 14 year old daughter described as having her brains fall out her ears before she opens her mouth, not known for having much couth) tell me that I should just force myself to eat only lettuce.

I seriously wanted to clock her.

I guess I am finding myself pissed at them for being able to eat (and say) anything they want and even more pissed at myself for letting myself get to this point.

Thanks for the vent.

Melanie

I could only fantasize about eating whatever I wanted like that!!!!!! SOOOO annoying!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 08:28
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johi
Hey guys...just wanna chime in, regarding the in-laws I hate 99% of mine and some of my own relatives....can't stand any of my in-laws they SUCK all the way...they always try to sabotage my diet...telling me eat this eat that...then afterwards they make comments as to 'omg how thick I am' screw them...I actually cannot stand any of them...they can all rot in hell as far as I'm concernd...and when I get to my ideal weight I'm gonna rub it in to their faces...thanks for letting me vent!!!! I've been a bit in the irritable face of the diet...must be the lack of sugar

Welcome!!

Good vent ...feel better?

People used to piss me off all the time....with what they ate and what they'd tell me to eat...including my family.
But they don't dare to say one word to me now or they'll be opening themselves up to a lecture from me!!
Payback is a bitch!!!
Getting results and showing them that their words are meaningless to you, will shut them up!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 22:55

Plan: PāNu (up to step 11)
Stats: 389/290/190 Male 70 Inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Wow Mel

My mother inlaw would have got a heater to the jaw mid section flurry followed by a round house and uppercut.............she'd be out cold.

When she came to I'd say "is that I should force myself to eat lettuce enough for ya MOM"

Yes people bug me too Mel
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 08:30
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I try to be understanding that since they eat like crap, they're a little retarded. The brain doesn't operate well on crappy food.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach modified
Stats: 160/144/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 64%

That is the most retarded thing I think I've heard anyone say! One of my big problems is that I don't eat enough! Seriously, I can go without breakfast and lunch and be perfectly fine! The problem is, eating like that messes up my metabolism. I've discovered that by forcing myself to eat sensibly in the morning and at lunch, I'm actually shedding pounds. Sounds like your MIL needs to be educated.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 09:55

BF:

Skitzoid - do some research on things like Fast Five or The Warrior Diet. Again, I had to open my mind to the possibilities that eating several times daily might not be the best option for me. I credit Intermittent Fasting and my research into it for at least half of my weight loss success. of course, I have a thyroid condition and had to get my body to work around that. Mr. Micheal Eades has a blog on IF. If you do this naturally, I really would not worry about this at all. It's a myth that it slows down your metabolism IMHO.

Judy may disagree (and that's OK cause I love me some Judy! LOL!) but my point is for people to keep their minds open - especially when you don't have a lot to lose and it may take more than one approach to get the job done! Research Intermittent Fasting before you assume what you have been taught on that is correct. I did and was astounded - especially the difference between the two rhesus monkeys and how they had aged physically! I'll try to find that for you.

***Here it is!!! http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/201...ittent-fasting/
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 10:12
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach modified
Stats: 160/144/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 64%

That's really interesting, Aeroangie. It coincides with something I read recently in regard to dog care. I'm going to check more into it.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-07-10, 00:11

BF:

It's basically one of the Paleo principles. Like this article explains, it isn't a "plan" but is more a "tool" to use within a plan. Better quality of life as we age is most important. I mean, who doesn't want that! The resulting leanness is merely a pleasant side effect.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 11:29

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Did she by any chance say it to you in your own house? I don't care who she is, your house is your domain. I kicked my brother and sister-in-law out for just that type of disrespectful comment to me. That was a couple of years ago and they no longer try to intimidate me in my own home. And as a side note our relationship got much better once they realized that I was not going to lay (lie?) down and take it from them.