Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-21-10, 12:20

Plan: Whatever works..
Stats: 139.9/130/118 Female 5'5
BF:26
Progress: 45%
Default I am new and have questions!!!

Hi everyone!! I think I fell into SB dieting on accident

I was trying to do very low carb but couldnt stick with it. I did it for about 5 weeks and wanted my life back lol jk It actually taught me a lot and helped me really enjoy healthy foods. I posted my "new" diet/lifestyle plan below and I want to know if this looks like its SB.

Breakfast:
Two slices of whole wheat toast with laughing cow cheese and butter made with olive oil
Fruit (usuall a bananna or a cup of cantalope)
Two eggs

Snack:
Protein

Lunch:
Chicken with veggies and salad (olive oil and herbs/spics to cook veggies and chicken)

Snack
Protein

Dinner:
Pork Chops with veggies and salad (I use olive oil to cook all my meats)

While I can maintain this way of eating, I am 23 and like to have drinks on the weekeds with my friends. Do you think I can do that and do pase 1 the next day too help balance it out? Or do you think the vodka/water drinks over the weekends will kill my weightloss? I dont care if it takes a bit of time to get the last few pounds off becuase this is going to be a lifestyle, but I wanted to get your opinions on if this will allow me to sill lose weight..

OH! I am doing 30 minutes of cardio every day to help too!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-21-10, 14:54
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chels04242
Hi everyone!! I think I fell into SB dieting on accident

I was trying to do very low carb but couldnt stick with it. I did it for about 5 weeks and wanted my life back lol jk It actually taught me a lot and helped me really enjoy healthy foods. I posted my "new" diet/lifestyle plan below and I want to know if this looks like its SB.

Breakfast:
Two slices of whole wheat toast with laughing cow cheese and butter made with olive oil ( 1 slice of toast is a serrving, not 2)
Fruit (usuall a bananna or a cup of cantalope)avoid high sugar fruits while seeking weight loss, so no bananas until you are in maintenance and we actually don't have fruit in the morning anway. you'll know this after you read the book.
Two eggs

Snack:
Protein

Lunch:
Chicken with veggies and salad (olive oil and herbs/spics to cook veggies and chicken)

Snack
Protein

Dinner:
Pork Chops with veggies and salad (I use olive oil to cook all my meats)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chels04242
While I can maintain this way of eating, I am 23 and like to have drinks on the weekeds with my friends. Do you think I can do that and do pase 1 the next day too help balance it out? Or do you think the vodka/water drinks over the weekends will kill my weightloss? I dont care if it takes a bit of time to get the last few pounds off becuase this is going to be a lifestyle, but I wanted to get your opinions on if this will allow me to sill lose weight..

OH! I am doing 30 minutes of cardio every day to help too!

Hello and welcome to the beach!

It would be helpful for you to read one of the SBD books that are out in your local library. We have the food lists and meal plan charts here for you to print up and follow as a guide. They are at the start of our weighin thread.
I happen to think that anyone coming from vlc should start SBD doing 2 weeks of phase I, perfect.....no bread, no fruit, no alcohol.
Can you do that? Phase I is not vlc at all but has about 60 grams a day( we don't count carbs) if you eat the beans/legumes/lentils that we are encouraged to eat in phase I and beyond.
**See the food lists and meal plans.**
After you do those 2 weeks, then you begin to add in fruits and starches(breads) very, very slowly...and not all at the same time.
I don't eat bread any longer and will have a rye Wasa once in a while as I've also knocked out all wheat. Starchy veggies are much better for weight loss anyway so I would tell you to back away from the toast every day...maybe just on the weekends...when you get there.

More questions?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-21-10, 15:15

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Hi there

First, you need to read the book.
There are some definite no no's with your plan. First, no fruit/bread in phase 1. In phase 2, you will add 1 fruit or 1 grain every 1-2 weeks. Most people will recommend holding off on adding bread for awhile because it stalls a lot of people. Also, bananas are not a great choice- berries or melon are better for your first fruits.

You should also include 2 cups per day of ff or lf dairy (milk or yogurt).
Also, include 2 servings (1/2 c each) of beans.

Drinking might slow weight loss down, but like you said, it's a lifestyle NOT a diet. I am young too (26) and also enjoy drinking on weekends. No need to go back to phase 1 the next day. Phase 1 is to kick cravings, not the weight loss phase (phase 2 is the weight loss phase).

Make sure to get all your veggies!

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-22-10, 16:29
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Drinking might slow weight loss down, but like you said, it's a lifestyle NOT a diet. I am young too (26) and also enjoy drinking on weekends. No need to go back to phase 1 the next day. Phase 1 is to kick cravings, not the weight loss phase (phase 2 is the weight loss phase).

Make sure to get all your veggies!

Thank you Robin....I really do appreciate that you took time to write a response as sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who does.

FWIW, the reason that I recommend to those who switch from Atkins Induction or vlc, to do SBD phase I for 2 weeks is simply not about cravings at all and more about raising carb levels slowly.
Being at 20 grams a day or lower and jumping up to 100 grams per day, will likely cause a gain....going slowly at this point is an answer to this.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 09:34

Plan: Whatever works..
Stats: 139.9/130/118 Female 5'5
BF:26
Progress: 45%

Thats a very good point. Thank you for all of your responses!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-24-10, 06:29

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Thank you Robin....I really do appreciate that you took time to write a response as sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who does.

FWIW, the reason that I recommend to those who switch from Atkins Induction or vlc, to do SBD phase I for 2 weeks is simply not about cravings at all and more about raising carb levels slowly.
Being at 20 grams a day or lower and jumping up to 100 grams per day, will likely cause a gain....going slowly at this point is an answer to this.

I definitely agree it's important to do phase 1 when coming from a low carb plan, as you pointed out it's a big jump in carb levels which would cause a gain. I just meant there is no reason to do a phase one day after drinking over the weekend (once she is phase 2). Sorry if that was confusing
And thanks for answering all the posts here Judy! It is so appreciated!