Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 10:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/149/140 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default New to Diabetes Help please!

Hello All!

I have been low carbing off and on since late 2002. Last week I found out I am Diabetic. My BG was 335! The week before I went for blood test & the results were 225(fasting) for my sugar. The Dr. gave me Metaformin(1000) plus Accupri sp? (10 mg). I then made a appointment to see a Diabetic counciler sp? I tell you! She was not helpfull at all! No pamplets, no talk about how many grams of sugar I can have a day and how to spread them, out, How many meals plus snack should I have, etc., No nothing except right down when and what I eat( for a month) & a BG readings she said test only twice a day. For 2 weeks before breakfast & 2 hours after breakfast. The next two weeks two hours before dinner & two hours after dinner. There were other things but I will not bother you with them. She sent me off with a scrip fo Anaryl (2mg) & told me to start taking 500 more of Metformain for 5 days & then start taking 2000 a day. I am keeping as low carb as I can. Being real real good. My numbers go up and down some but I am being real positive! I decided I am not going back to see her. When I see my family Dr. at the end of the month I will tell her. When I seen her last week she told me that I know what I am doing eating low carb. Sorry this was long!

Jeanny
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 14:09

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

I think the best eating plan is to follow the advice given by Dr. Atkins. Try Induction for a while until you get your blood sugars down. You will have to monitor your blood sugar and probably lower your medications until hopefully you can eliminate them completely. Be sure and eat regularly. I usually put a mozerella stick in my pocket or purse for slightly low blood sugar feelings. And you may want to keep the glucose tablet on you.

I've had some trouble getting my blood sugar down. Maybe it gets harder as we get older. So I've given up coffee again. I think for those of us who have diabetes, it can make you hungry and cause you to be more insulin resistent. I have also given up grains, starches and of course sugar. Artifical sweetners can be a problem for some of us too.

It it too bad we often don't get good advice from doctors and our health care providers. We have to take matters into our own hands and get educated. You can read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and also the Atkins Diabetes Revolution for more information specifically on diabetes.

It looks like you have had good success doing Atkins. Good job! Remember this way of eating is about much more than weight loss. It is about keeping you healthy and active.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 16:03

BF:

Hello!

Thank you for your advice! I have given up everything you mentioned except for coffee! I have been drinking 3-4 cups a day with 1 splenda and about 1 tablespoon 1/2 & 1/2 with each cup. I also have been doing the treadmill. I am only up to a little over a mile a day at 2.5 MPH & drink at least 1/2 a gallon of water a day. It has been about 10 days now & not too much change in my sugar level. I check 2-3 times a day. I hope it starts going down real soon! I am 51 YO. My Grandparents, parents, 3 out of 4 of us siblings have Diabetes Plus other family members. When do the numbers start going down?
I am being real good and eating 3 meals a day plus light snacks like a green salad, Jello or maybe a piece of cheese. A couple of time I use the Flat out wraps that they sell in wallmart. They are sugar free & have 6 net carbs plus I trim some off. I want to be the first one in my Familly to take this serius & do what you gotta do! Thanks again,

Jeanny
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 11:04

Plan: SBD
Stats: 198/196/129 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

I was dx with diabetes in May of 2004. I had been on the South Beach diet which I went back on. My practice nurse was amazed at the lowering of my A1c. I have read Dr. Bernstein and think that his number for carbs a day is too low for me. As a kosher vegetarian I think that I have a slightly harder time in finding permitted recipes. I started taking flaxseed oil capsules, 1000mg twice a day and this has improved my cholesterol.
It's a bit overwhelming when you are first dx but my main tip is to read, read, read. And ask questions.
Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-06, 11:07

BF:

Thanks for the advice! I read somewhere that it takes the meds a few weeks to kick in. Does anyone know if this is true?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 04:15

BF:

I think with the metformin it might take a couple of weeks.

I'm a host on another site and here's the welcome post that I wrote up for those who were just dx with diabetes.

It's long but helpful.

Hi.

So you've been diagnosed with diabetes, either type 1 or 2.

Take a deep breath.

Don't panic.

It is a scary disease and a worrisome one.

But hey, that's what we are here for, to help you find your feet and hopefully answer questions or if we can't then send you to a site or person who can. Also to give you encouragement and to listen.

None of us are experts, we are in the same boat as you, some being diagnosed longer than others.

The biggest suggestion I can give you is to read, read, read, and learn. The more you know, the better off you will be.

You can control your blood glucose and live a good life.

The way to do that is to learn all you can about your diabetes, how it affects you and how to make sure that your A1c and daily numbers are in the accepted range.

You will come across the letters..YMMV, it means that Your Mileage May Vary. What works for one person may not work for you. In my case, I can't eat oatmeal, but others can and enjoy it. (and I love oatmeal )

If you come across posts here from people who swear that, drinking water will cure diabetes or that they have found something that will help, for a price mind you,and it worries you, then please inform one of the HOSTS, either sandwichmom and myself, who are both diabetics, and we pop in every day. You can also inform other HOSTS.

I've given you a long list of book suggestions and different sites to have a look at.

The more you know about the disease and how it affects you and how you can control it will give you more confidence.

In the beginning (May 19,2004) I think that I joined more diabetes' forums and boards than you can shake a stick at. lol Now after 18 months I have only 3-4 of them to look at. I know what I can and can't eat and I do enjoy the occasionally 'forbidden' thing.

You don't really have to deprive yourself of everything you love. An occasional treat won't make you blind or make your toes fall off.

Make sure you get your eyes tested every year, see your foot doctor, see the dietican, and go to diabetes classes.

Oh, another thing. Test youself as much as possible. Living in England I am lucky to get all the testing strips I want/need, while I have heard in the states it depends on your medical carrier and how much you can afford.

Testing: first thing in the morning, before and after meals, and before bed. Now some people say to test 1 hour, 90 minutes, or 2 hours after a meal. I'll leave that up to you. When approaching a new food, make sure you test yourself before and after. That way you'll know if it can be added to your future menus.

A brief note on myself: I was a walking timebomb. 3 out of 4 grandparents, my father and my sister, all diabetics. I am very overweight with not much exercise. So instead of worrying about it, I was smug that I would never get it. Ha!

One other thing. You might have heard of the 5 Steps of Grieving. It happens when someone close to you dies or you suffer a great loss. This might happen to you. A part of you is gone forever but in a way, losing that part might just make you healthier in the long run.

Developing diabetes makes you stop and reassess you life.

You will be eating healthier and despite the diabetes you can live that long life.

5 Steps of Grieving.

DENIAL --- "No, this can't be right. There's no diabetes in the family. I watch what I eat. Okay, I'm a little overweight. I can't be a diabetic."

ANGER --- "What?? I can't be! I'm not fat, I exercise and I eat well'. 'Redo the test!"

BARGAINING -- "Please G-d, if I am good I won't be diabetic any more."

DEPRESSION --- "Oh G-d, what am I going to do. I can't eat my favorite foods any more. I feel like a pin cushion. I have to watch everything that goes in my mouth for the rest of my life. My meds don't seem to work. I don't want to go onto insulin. I wish I was dead."

ACCEPTANCE --- "Ok. I have diabetes.I'll read all I can and live a good longlife."

Book suggestions, please feel free to add your own favorites, the more educated we are, the better control we will have.

****Gretchen Becker, The First Year—Type Two Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed. (The best book for newbies)

Richard K. Bernstein, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.(a big book, full of information)

Alan L. Rubin, Diabetes for Dummies.

Jennie Brand-Miller et al., The New Glucose Revolution: The Authoritative Guide to the Glycemic Index—The Dietary Solution for Lifelong Health.

Web sites:

I love this guy. He has created, I feel, the best diabetes web site.

http://www.mendosa.com/diabetes.htm

Joslin Diabetes Center (a lot of good information)

http://www.joslin.org/main.shtml

American Diabetes Association

http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp

For those in the UK

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/

For those in Australia:

http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/home/index.htm

Children with diabetes:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/index_cwd.htm

Other diabetes sites that might be of interest:

http://www.diabetesnet.com/

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/

For those with One Touch meters

http://www.lifescan.com/care/

For those with Accu chek meters

http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/

I've saved the best for last. The following support groups have helped me the most. They are all from Yahoo. have a peek and join the ones that you feel at home with.

Please ask questions.

The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/grou...cinternational/

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetes/

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetes-uk/

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetes_int/

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetesworld/

2 Jewish groups
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/grou...?yguid=63131735

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/grou...yguid=178778873

I think I've given you enough to start with. lol

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 13:30

BF:

What a great note, Krol. Dealing with the emotional issues is key! I have found great support and guidance at this website.

JeanMarie: I have been faithfully eating around 20 grams of carbs this week (no cheating!) and my blood sugar finally dropped from 164 to 139 in the last three days! It has been averaging around 200 for the last couple of months. That's the best I've been able to do lately and I am not taking metformin. I think for me, the switch to green tea seems to help. And maybe the cinnamon. I'm 49 and was diagnosed 10 years ago. I was worried that it is getting harder. But sticking to it is paying off.

I also recommend an inspirational book by Richard Morris called A Life Unburdened. He and his family really made significant life changes to eat healthy natural food and get their health turned around. I loved their story.

Here is their website. I ordered the book from here and it arrived within a couple of days.

http://www.breadandmoney.com/index.html
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 06:20

BF:

Hi!

Many thanks AuntJoyce & Krol! Great links and advice! My numbers are going down slowwwly! 190's to 240's. I wish they would come down faster! I can not go much lower. I have not gone over 20-25 carbs a day. Any advice when I should eat my meals? I have been eating (breakfast) 1-2 hours upon waking which is early. May be a small LC snack about 2 hours later, lunch 3 hours later & dinner around 3-4 hours later & a small snack before bed. All meals are small. Thanks again,

Jeanny
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 08:25
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Twice a day
1 GTF chromium, 200 mcg
3 Vitamin D, 1000 IU Each pill
2 Calcium with magnesium, 600 mg calcium and 300 mg magnesium Each Pilll
2 Cinnamon, 500 mg
2 gymnema sylvestre, 400 mg

3 times per day

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar 2 tblspoon in a large glass of cold water.

Takes about a month.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 17:30

BF:

Dr. Richard K. Bernstein talks about not eating less than 4 hours apart. You should get his book. I also find it helps to not eat too late at night. I have always been a snacker after dinner, but have been doing well breaking that habit. I'm getting more used to not being hungry and I'm staying at about 20-30 grams of carbs. If you get hungry between meals that means you are not getting enough fat. Put some butter on those green beans!

I take all the above mentioned supplements except gymnema but plus some others. I take alpha-lipoic and GLA in the evening as recommended by Dr. Bernstein. These are insulin mimetics and are supposed to bring down your high morning blood sugar. I had been taking fish oil but stopped it because it can cause blood sugar to go up in some people. I eat salmon, tuna and halibut a few times a week anyway.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 17:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmarie
Hi!

Many thanks AuntJoyce & Krol! Great links and advice! My numbers are going down slowwwly! 190's to 240's. I wish they would come down faster! I can not go much lower. I have not gone over 20-25 carbs a day. Any advice when I should eat my meals? I have been eating (breakfast) 1-2 hours upon waking which is early. May be a small LC snack about 2 hours later, lunch 3 hours later & dinner around 3-4 hours later & a small snack before bed. All meals are small. Thanks again,

Jeanny

Try to keep your snacking to a minimum and keep at least 4 hours between meals so that the effect on your blood sugar doesn't overlap. You don't want to go so long between meals that gluconeogenesis starts kicking in and raising your blood sugar but you also want to make sure that the effects of your last meal on your blood sugar have completely passed through as well. Dr. Bernstein recommends at least 4 hours between the end of your last meal and the beginning of the next even if they are small.
It may be that your carb count is a little too low and you are fighting your body's response to that which is for your liver to start converting protein to glucose. I know that it seems intuitive that lower would = better blood sugars but some people don't tolerate very low carb levels well. You could try Dr. Bernstein's meal suggestions of 6 grams of carb for breakfast, 12 for lunch and 12 for dinner and see if your blood sugars look better on that.
Also, always check with your doctor or pharmacist before adding supplements when you are taking other prescription medications to make sure that they won't react with each other in a negative way.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 07:06
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntJoyce
Dr. Richard K. Bernstein talks about not eating less than 4 hours apart. You should get his book. I also find it helps to not eat too late at night. I have always been a snacker after dinner, but have been doing well breaking that habit. I'm getting more used to not being hungry and I'm staying at about 20-30 grams of carbs. If you get hungry between meals that means you are not getting enough fat. Put some butter on those green beans!

I take all the above mentioned supplements except gymnema but plus some others. I take alpha-lipoic and GLA in the evening as recommended by Dr. Bernstein. These are insulin mimetics and are supposed to bring down your high morning blood sugar. I had been taking fish oil but stopped it because it can cause blood sugar to go up in some people. I eat salmon, tuna and halibut a few times a week anyway.
Gymnema sylvestre actually heals the beta cells in your pancreas that produce insulin. This is why it sows such good results in BG readings.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 14:23

BF:

Hi!

Thank you very much to all you nice people! I will start adding more supplements for sure! I am going to visit my Dr. tomorow. Also have another set of blood test. I am optimistic for sure! Not feeling sorry for myself. Have a Great, Sugar Free Day Everyone!

Jeanny
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 03:42

BF:

I take Gymnema sylvestre but am worried that I won't be able to find in in England. I'll have to search the net for possible suppliers. I tried ordering it from an American company but they said that they couldn't send it abroad.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 15:21
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krol
I take Gymnema sylvestre but am worried that I won't be able to find in in England. I'll have to search the net for possible suppliers. I tried ordering it from an American company but they said that they couldn't send it abroad.
http://www.yourhealthfoodstore.co.u...g_capsules.html