Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-09, 13:09

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%
Default Swine Flu Kills Obese People:

Sunday, July 12, 2009

(NaturalNews) The fact that nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults are clinically obese is worrisome for a whole new reason: Evidence emerging from a hospital in Michigan (and published by the CDC) appears to indicate that obese patients may be very easily killed by swine flu.

In the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's report on death and disease, researchers documented the case of ten swine flu patients at a Michigan hospital who became so ill they were put on ventilators. Three of the patients ultimately died from the infection. The kicker? Nine of the ten were obese, and two of the three who died were severely obese.

As reported by Reuters, CDC virologist Dr. Tim Uyeki said, "What this suggests is that there can be severe complications associated with this virus infection, especially in severely obese patients."

Notably, five of the patients showed evidence of blood clots in their lungs, indicating severe cellular trauma in the lungs. Nine of the patients suffered from multiple organ failure, and six experienced kidney failure.

Link to CDC article (Thanks, frankly.)

Bo

Last edited by Rosebud : Fri, Jul-17-09 at 22:19. Reason: To replace commercial link with the link to the original article
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-09, 14:29

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

No big surprise here. The obese are often very low in blood levels of vitamin D as well. Vitamin D plays a very important role in cold and flu fighting.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-09, 07:13

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

In the LPGA, half the field is Korean. Chances are, the next winner will also be Korean. In the US, 1/3 of adults are obese. Chances are, the next to die will also be obese.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 21:58

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

For anyone who doesn't feel like clicking through to Bo's dodgy site and helping make money for Mike Adams, here's a direct link to the CDC article, it's a little dry and scientific - but at least you won't be blindsided by SPAM: CDC link
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 07:04
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 232/219/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Vitamin D plays a very important role in cold and flu fighting.

Someone hasn't been bothering to read the threads she's commenting on Wifezilla.
Effect of vitamin D deficiency and replacement on endothelial function in asymptomatic subjects
Quote:
leptin levels were positively correlated with 25(OH)D levels (r:0.45, p<0.05

Vitamin D supplements will raise leptin. Their higher leptin level is the reason why swine flu kills obese people; higher leptin levels tend to lead to a firestorm of inflammation.Fight the flab to fend off swine flu
Quote:
inflammation, known as a "cytokine storm", is what kills most flu victims[...] Prior to infection, the obese mice had much higher levels of a hormone called leptin than the normal mice. During the initial stages of infection, they had fewer virus-killing cells and chemicals.

Leptin is released by fat cells and, among other things, triggers immune reactions. Beck thinks that obese mice become desensitised to leptin, making their immune system slow to react. As their flu worsened, the obese [high leptin] mice did mount an immune response, but it was "too little too late", says Beck. It failed to get rid of the virus and eventually triggered a runaway immune response that escalated until it killed the mice - much as the cytokine storm does in people

Quote:
"It's amazing how much obesity-related inflammation you can reverse with just a little diet and exercise." He says a daily half-hour walk and losing about 5 per cent of body weight if you are overweight is enough to reduce inflammation
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 07:07

BF:

Oh good lord.

"Getting plenty of vitamin D — more than diet can offer — appears to provide potent protection against colds, flu and even pneumonia, a new study reports. Although the amount of protection varies by season, the trend is solid: As the amount of vitamin D circulating in blood climbs, risk of upper respiratory tract infections falls.

Though that’s not too surprising (SN: 11/11/06, p. 312), the researchers found one unexpected trend: “In people with preexisting lung disease, such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease — or COPD, low levels of vitamin D act like an effect modifier,” says Adit Ginde, an emergency room physician at the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine in Aurora who led the study. The findings appear in the Feb. 23 Archives of Internal Medicine. In people with lung disease, he says, low levels of the sunshine vitamin “magnify many-fold” the apparent vulnerability to infection seen in people with healthy lungs."
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gen...k_of_colds,_flu

I have come to the conclusion that there is a contingency of cave dwelling mutants who have decided to trash vitamin D at every possibly opportunity. No doubt it is a recruitment effort to get more people to join the mutant horde.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 07:33
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I have come to the conclusion that there is a contingency of cave dwelling mutants

Vitamin D mutants are an interesting subject

Vitamin D and aging.
Taken together, aging shows a U-shaped dependency on hormonal forms of vitamin D suggesting that there is an optimal concentration of vitamin D in delaying aging phenomena. Our recent study shows that calcidiol is an active hormone. Since serum calcidiol but not calcitriol is fluctuating in physiological situations, calcidiol might determine the biological output of vitamin D action. Due to its high serum concentration and better uptake of calcidiol-DBP by the target cells through the cubilin-megalin system, calcidiol seems to be an important circulating hormone. Therefore, serum calcidiol might be associated with an increased risk of aging-related chronic diseases more directly than calcitriol. Aging and cancer seem to be tightly associated phenomena. Accumulation of damage on DNA and telomeres cause both aging and cancer, moreover the signalling pathways seem to converge on tumour suppressor protein, p53, which seems to be regulated by vitamin D. Also, the insulin-like growth factor signalling pathway (IGF-1, IGFBPs, IGFR) and fibroblast growth factor-23 (FGF-23) regulate growth, aging and cancer. Vitamin D can regulate these signalling pathways, too. Also NF-kappaB and telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT) might be molecular mechanisms mediating vitamin D action in aging and cancer. Calcidiol serum concentrations show a U-shaped risk of prostate cancer suggesting an optimal serum concentration of 40-60 nmol/L for the lowest cancer risk.

Premature aging in vitamin D receptor mutant mice Overall, VDR KO mice showed several aging related phenotypes, including poorer survival, early alopecia, thickened skin, enlarged sebaceous glands and development of epidermal cysts[...]Unlike the wildtype controls, VDR KO mice lose their ability to swim after 6 months of age. Expression of all the genes was lower in old VDR KO mice, but only NF-kappaB, Fgf-23, p53 and IGF1R were significantly lower. Since the phenotype of aged VDR knockout mice is similar to mouse models with hypervitaminosis D(3), our study suggests that VDR genetic ablation promotes premature aging in mice, and that vitamin D(3) homeostasis regulates physiological aging.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 09:39

BF:

So the mutant cave is full of mice too?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 09:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

#10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 09:50

BF:

This explains EVERYTHING!!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 03:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Moles are also an interesting subject

Effect of oral cholecalciferol supplementation at physiological and supraphysiological doses in naturally vitamin D3-deficient subterranean damara mole rats
Quote:
It appears, therefore, that these animals function optimally at the low concentrations of D3 metabolites found naturally. Supplementation at both physiological and supraphysiological doses of D3 may disadvantage the damara mole rat.

Maybe you think a naturally vitamin D3-deficient animal would be short lived, in fact naked mole rats are the longest lived of all rodents.
Prolonged longevity in naked mole-rats: age-related changes in metabolism, body composition and gastrointestinal function
Quote:
Maximum lifespan of these 40 g rodents (>27 year) is 9 times greater than predicted allometrically. [...]The observed absence of age-related bone loss in naked mole-rats may be explained by their employment of vitamin D-independent mineral metabolism

researchers found those with more than 100 moles had longer telomeres than those with fewer than 25
No it's not due to UV exposure , associations like that are notoriously difficult to interpret, and we know that boosting vitamin D levels is more likely to shorten telomeres.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 03:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

And this has to do with swine flu allegedly affecting obese people more severely than others, just how exactly?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 04:53
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

It is thought swine flu 'affects' obese people more severely because of their higher leptin levels and when someone implied vitamin D supplements would be beneficial in helping fat people fight swine flu I thought it pertinent to point out (again) that as D raises leptin levels this is not a good idea.

My last link 'has to do with' me trying to show that my opinions are not just off the top of my head; I have read a lot on this subject and can give references. It was a bit tangental, but responding in kind to talk of 'cave dwelling mutants' and 'mole men ' is not my way.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 13:58

BF:

My purpose of posting the vitamin D information was to point out that fat people often have low levels of vitamin D. The effects of low vitamin D and flu are well documented, though apparently mole people take issue with that data.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/b...more-2009-02-23
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-09, 00:29

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

So now I'm super confused. Do I take my CLO come fall, or not!?