Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 14:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
Nobody can assess motivation and that's what actually wins the contest, regardless of sex. The winner didn't give in to aches and pains. He was motivated to ignore all that and persevere. I was worried the obnoxious guy would win and don't want to go through that again so I won't be watching this year's contest. The other reason I watched was seeing the heavy women turn into babes.

Sorry, I disagree. You can have all the motivation and discipline in the world and your body will still lose weight and fat at the rate it is metabolically capable of.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 09:20

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I think it's much easier to lose weight in a game setting like that. All that competition, reward, goal-setting, all done in a limit amount of time (however many weeks they're going at this). But it's a game of losing weight and not about really changing your way of eating. I'd LOVEto see a game in which people had to lose weight while going through their normal every day life. You know, like taking care of the kids, being stressed out from work, cooking, shopping for food, lack of support from loved ones, watching TV, making time for your wife, husband, kids, and so on. THAT would be interesting in my book!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 11:44

Plan: A lifestyle change
Stats: 270/248/186 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

The Biggest loser website was recruiting people for a show just like that this past summer. They said that they were looking at doing a Biggest Loser where teams of friends or families across America compete for 9 weeks against one another while being at home. They said they would provide a trainer and nutritionist to get you on your way, butyou had to do it around your own life. I do not know if they are actually going to do it, but that is what they wanted video auditions for this past summer.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 18:17

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind
I think it's much easier to lose weight in a game setting like that. All that competition, reward, goal-setting, all done in a limit amount of time (however many weeks they're going at this). But it's a game of losing weight and not about really changing your way of eating. I'd LOVEto see a game in which people had to lose weight while going through their normal every day life. You know, like taking care of the kids, being stressed out from work, cooking, shopping for food, lack of support from loved ones, watching TV, making time for your wife, husband, kids, and so on. THAT would be interesting in my book!

You have never seen............(Taking it off.!)!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 07:11

Plan: Whole Foods (my own)
Stats: 135/127/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

Yeah - Taking It Off in Canada is exactly that format. I find it a much better show in illustrating the trials and tribulations of weight loss in the REAL world

But when you don't vote people off, you don't have that Hollywood pazzaz that Biggest Loser has
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 12:31

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Taking it Off sounds really interesting! I wish I could see it.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 00:47

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I haven't watched the Biggest Loser since I saw part of the very first episode, mainly because the thought of voting people off (esp. people who may have been social outcasts for much of their lives) is disturbing to me. Do they ever check to see how the ''rejects'' are doing?

I think that failing on the Biggest Loser would be worse for one's self esteem than doing nothing.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 00:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I haven't watched the Biggest Loser since I saw part of the very first episode, mainly because the thought of voting people off (esp. people who may have been social outcasts for much of their lives) is disturbing to me.

You know, I never thought about that but I can see your point, this was the whole reason I wouldn't watch that Swan show they had with the beauty pagent at the end. I thought, wow they tell these women that they are not good enough but we'll make you beautiful, then we will put you in a pagent and when you lose even after all the improvements you can feel ugly and not good enough again.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 01:10

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Yeah, that Swan show was disturbing too & I suspect the ugly duckling losers end up as surgery junkies.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 15:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 145/131/128 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 82%
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiNiki
• Always try to have protein with your carbs – never eat carbs alone.

Personally, I would NOT combine protein with any carbs except vegetables. According to Protein Power, carbs and protein together produce the HIGHEST insulin spike of all the protein/fat/carb combinations. When I was on low-fat/low-calorie, I would often have a tuna salad with apples mixed in; this always produced more hypoglycemic reactions (shaking, headache, sweating) than the apple or tuna alone. I was also ravenously hungry an hour later--now I know why.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 16:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladegem
Personally, I would NOT combine protein with any carbs except vegetables. According to Protein Power, carbs and protein together produce the HIGHEST insulin spike of all the protein/fat/carb combinations. When I was on low-fat/low-calorie, I would often have a tuna salad with apples mixed in; this always produced more hypoglycemic reactions (shaking, headache, sweating) than the apple or tuna alone. I was also ravenously hungry an hour later--now I know why.

I don't know, I have never managed to do the Biggest Loser Diet that they had posted on the site, but if this what they are doing, it seems to work for them.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 14:32

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I think that failing on the Biggest Loser would be worse for one's self esteem than doing nothing.

As far as i can see the people that have been voted off have better selfesteem because they have learned so much while there.All fo them but the guy(cant remember his name)have lost a huge amount of weight and exercise daily.
Doing nothing was the reason these people are so fat.