Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 11:29

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Post SP Meal Ideas - Dinner

Here are some of my favourite SP dinners:

- meatloaf w/ tomato sauce and garlic mayo, broccoli and brown rice
- hamburgers or sausages w/ frizzled cabbage (slice cabbage thinly and fry in lots of butter until it get very soft and starts to brown) w/ carb of choice
- chicken wings w/ low-carb sauce, salad and carb of choice
- spaghetti sauce (hamburger, ground turkey etc. w/ tomato sauce) over zucchini "noodles" (use vegetable peeler to peel long strips of zucchini until you can see the seeds) fried in olive oil and garlic - carb of choice
- chicken or veal parmigiana w/ cauliflower and carb of choice
- roasts of all kinds (salt roast and then rub in dry mustard - coat w/ a mixture of olive oil, dijon, soya sauce and thyme or rosemary) w/ small roast potatoes and some veggies
- scrambled eggs for dinner! Usually w/ Ryvita crackers and butter
- fajitas (limit number of tortillas) - I use commercial fajita spice which adds carbs so be careful with this one.

There are great recipes both on this site and all over the web!

Hope this helps - Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 19:55

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Default What's for dinner?

Thanks for your helpful breakfast and dinner ideas, Lisa. As someone who used to eat cold cereal almost everyday for breakfast, I can always use some ideas. How about we all post what we had for dinner tonight, or a good dinner we had recently. Tonight I roasted two whole free-range chickens. I poured olive oil on them and sprinkled a garlic herb seasoning before I put them in the oven. I like to roast 2 at a time so I have plenty of leftover cooked chicken to incorporate into other meals. I served boiled Yukon Gold potatoes with parsley and butter, and asparagus on the side. This meal took a long time to cook , but prep time was minimal and I had time to get started on straightening out my pantry. (Almost sent the message before I noticed I had typed panty instead of pantry, LOL)

Jen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 06:50

BF:

Jen - LOL...I reorg'd my underwear drawer a few days ago...

Here's an awesome made-up shrimp dinner:

Melt butter and olive oil in a fry pan. When oils are foamy add chopped green onion and minced garlic. Cook until softened. Add 1 lb peeled, uncooked shrimp and toss until cooked through. Add juice from 1/4 lemon or lime and some freshly ground pepper. Add some whipping cream and allow to simmer to thicken slightly. Works well with scallops too!

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 17:22

Plan: the schwarzbien principle
Stats: 245/240/160
BF:
Progress: 6%
Smile

thanks so much for the meal ideas i am going to try your zuchini noodles tonight and so much more sound interesting any other ideas please post them i need all the help i can get to not get bored
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 17:15

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Hey heyitsme, I'm going to try that this week, too.

Lisa, that is a really neat idea with the zuchini! I can't wait to try it. I like the idea of frying it in the olive oil and garlic. I'm going to try to get my husband to eat it. He hates zuchini as a side dish, but iwll eat it if I pout. I don't know if I can pout enough to make him eat it as a mian dish, though.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 10:41

Plan: the schwarzbien principle
Stats: 245/240/160
BF:
Progress: 6%
Thumbs up

wow i really enjoyed those "noodles" even my kids thought they were great thank you i can now eat sauce with these even if my family is eating pasta ...........i think i can get used to this woe with all these nifty new ideas!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 20:28
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default zucchini--even my husband said it was good

My husband hates zuccini in any shape or form; tried this tonight--and he liked it:

4 med. zuchini, sliced length-wise into ribbons (my peeler was not sharp enuff to do this; I just thinly sliced horizontally)
1 T butter, cut into small pieces
1 T olive oil
2 T grated Parmesan cheese
2 T fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1/8 teas. red pepper flakes.

Bring pot of water to bil. Add zucchini to boiling water; cook until just tender, 30-60 seconds. Drain. Transfer zucchini to serving bowl. Add butter, cheese, oil, basil, pepper; gently toss until butter is melted and zucchini is coated. (4 servings. Per serving: 99 cals, 3 g protein, 8 g fat (3 g saturated); 10 mg chol; 7 g. carbs; 117 mg. sodium, 3 g. fiber; 2 g. sugar.

WHERE DOES THE SUGAR COME FROM?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 05:51

BF:

Carberrys - that sounds awesome....and I have a nice basil plant growing on my balcony begging to be eaten!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 08:36

Plan: SP
Stats: 150/150/135
BF:

LisaF! Your list made me hungry! Would you share your meatloaf recipe and garlic mayo also? Do you did the meatloaf in the mayo?

Also, I have a question about brown rice.....I read in the Woman's World article that half a cup of brown rice was 15 carbs, but my package says 32 carbs per half cup! The Minute Brown Rice and the regular kind both said 32! Which is it?

Thanks for any help!I've lost 8 lbs in this first 2 weeks! Yay~!!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 09:06

BF:

Hi Rudy!

Garlic mayo is easy - I just use regular mayo and add garlic run through the press to it and mix.

The meatloaf I make is from the SP cookbook (Mama's Meatloaf)and I'll have to go home before I can give you the recipe...I'll post it here later.

1/4 cup brown rice = 15 g carb

congrats on your weight loss!

Lisa
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 17:17

BF:

Thanks for the help, Lisa, you are the best!I can't wait to try the meatloaf! YUM! If you had told me as a kid that I would grow up to love meatloaf, I would have laughed!

I appreciate the congrats on my loss, too! I was so pleased! Now if it wasn't 100 degrees here (in the shade) maybe I could actually walk and get some exercise. I guess I'll just have to stick to parking REALLY far away when I go shopping, lol!

I've always wanted to visit Canada, you are so lucky to live there!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 17:38

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Carberrys, that zucchini recipe sounds fantastic. I'm going to try it with a twist. Instead of the olive oil, parmesean, and basil, I'm going to use my home made pesto, which I just happen to have a batch of in the refrigerator.

Yum!

;-Deb
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 20:12

BF:

Mama's Meatloaf (courtesty of the SP Cookbook):

Makes 6 servings:
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and fry 1/2 cup chopped onion and 2 cloves minced garlic until softened.
In a bowl, combine 2 lbs ground meat (I use 1 lb beef, 1 lb lamb), 2 eggs, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup chopped parsley, 1 tbsp each dried oregano and basil, and some black pepper. Add onion and garlic and mix.
Bake 1 1/2 hours at 350.
Serve w/ garlic mayo and/or tomato sauce
6 grams of carbs (not including the mayo/sauce)

Rudy - Canada aside...it still gets stinking hot here! I wish I lived on the coast! It is a great country though...and the strong American dollar makes it a great place to visit.

Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 15:59

BF:

Thanks for the recipe, Lisa! I can't wait to try it! YUMMY!!!!

We had a cool front come through (I'm completely serious) so the high today was ONLY 89.

I'm about to make the cheesecake tarts, I hope they turn out well....I'm getting a little tired of pudding.
Cross your fingers!

EDIT:I just noticed the recipe called for <shreik!> bread crumbs!!!! Regular ones? I saw the guy on that show "Food 911" make a delicious looking meatloaf with NO breadcrumbs....but the sauce calls for ketchup.

I'll post it here and maybe you guys could help me figure out how to alter it in order to leave out the ketchup.....be right back, I think its on my favorites.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 16:05

BF:

Okay, here's the recipe he made with no bread crumbs...can anyone help me re-work the relish to make it LC? It looked SO good!

Tomato relish:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1 onion, diced
2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
12 ounces bottled ketchup

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 pound ground pork
3 eggs
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste

For the tomato relish, coat a skillet with olive oil and place over medium heat. Sauti the garlic, bay leaves, and onion together until they caramelize. Add the red peppers and cook until soft. Add the tomatoes, parsley and Worcestershire sauce, cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables cook down. Stir in the ketchup and continue to cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and pork together with your hands. Fold in 1/2 cup of the tomato relish. Add the eggs and thyme and mix with both hands just until blended. Do not over mix or the meat loaf will become dense and tough. Season with salt and pepper. Coat a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Fill the loaf pan with the meat mixture, mounding it a bit on top. Generously spoon some tomato relish on the surface. When cooked, this will form a top crust. Place the loaf pan on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the meat loaf has pulled away from the sides of the pan. Remove from pan, allow to cool slightly before cutting into slices. Serve with remaining sauce on the side.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours