Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress:
Angry heavy ketosis but no weight loss

My wife has been on the diet for about 10 days without losing a single pound. She is in heavy ketosis but still is not shedding any weight. She is beginning to think it does not work despite the fact I have lost 33 pounds over the last 5 months. She is following the Atkins rules very closely except she is not taking L-carnitine. Please help before we head to our favorite Italian restaurant. See ya, Cred
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 23:49
Registered Member

Stats: 207/168/150 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

When I first started on Induction levels, I did not lose an ounce either. Until I started drinking all my water. When I did, it stayed with me for a day or two and them I lost 6. I stayed on Induction for 2 extra weeks, since it was just like starting over again. It went up and down, but after the second week, I had stuck with the 6 pounds loss.

The key for me was drinking 64 fluid ounces PLUS 8 oz for every 25 pounds you have to lose AND 8 ozs for every caffeinated drink you have. I stopped drinking caffeine when I read that. Oh, and start drinking early or you will be up all night. Hope this helps!
Shelley

Last edited by mmmbeads : Thu, Jul-10-03 at 23:51.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 04:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?
Progress: 60%

I also think that the water might have something to do with it. If the strips show high ketosis - in the dark range - that could mean that the person is dehydrated and needs to drink more. The color on the strips doesn't matter, as long as there's something.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 04:37

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Cred

That is frustrating. I agree that drinking more water might help. Check that she is not eating far to much on not enough food. If you don't eat enough then you will not lose and if you eat far to much then you supply all the fat you need and you will not burn your own body fat. There is a sweet spot in the middle. Tell her to be patient and see how things are after another week. Make sure you take measurements. Sometimes these change even if the scales don't. Muscle weighs more than body fat.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 05:49

Stats: 175/148/130 Female 5.00
BF:31% by the bmi
Progress: 60%

i know how she feels because i restarted induction and have drank plenty of water and no cheats and i have lost only 10lbs since may 29, gained back 2 and then lost the two. im sure it was water weight. it can be frustrating but hang in there and drink plenty of water she may be dehydrated and not enough movement. i think sometimes im not getting enough exercise. it is hard to find time to get on the tread mill. the more exercise and water the better the loss.

have agreat day.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: body opus
Stats: 256/235/200
BF:
Progress: 38%

Myfirst question would be how many calories is she taking in? I know Atkins doesn't count calories, (just carb grams), but IF she is eating over maintenance levels there still won't be a loss. I am looking at the obvious first!