Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-13, 18:09

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 257/238/199 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default 4 weeks and no weight loss !

I had to buy a new battery for my glucose meter and it turns out that next door was a department store. I stopped in a bought a scale as the one I owned was broken.
Anyway, I came home all excited and proceeded to weigh myself. 4 weeks ago I weighed 247, according to this scale I still weigh 247 !!!!!. Now, I feel good and am very zoned into 20 carbs and high fat with medium proteins, my clothes are down like 4 inches and I see every part of my body is thinner ! Why doesn't the scale show any loss?'' I will continue my lifestyle change , but am a bit perplexed why over 4 weeks not one pound ! It has been 13 weeks and I have totally lost about 10 lbs.
So, any thoughts? Some encouragements. PLEASE.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-13, 20:58

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

My first guess would be that your old scale wasn't accurate. As your clothes are looser I would take that as a positive step forward, and not obsess about the numbers.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-13, 22:19

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

I second that opinion. The old scale wasn't accurate, but on the plus side...you may have lost more than you thought?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-13, 12:19

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

My suggestion would be to return the new scale and use the money for a nice, high fat, low-carb, meal/treat. Then carry on as you have been with the broken scale since it is obviously working for you.

Why on earth would you freak out over a difference in numbers on two non-scientific, likely poorly calibrated, scales versus what your own eyes and clothing are telling you?

But to briefly answer your question. If we were to believe for a minute the "no weight loss for four weeks" was true (and it likely isn't for the probable reasons already offered), scales do not just weigh fat loss. They also weigh fluctuations in water, bone, organ, muscle, etceteras. If you *really* want to go on an emotional roller coaster, try weighing yourself everyday for two weeks. Then do it for a month so you realize it's normal to fluctuate sometimes 5-10 lbs a day/week, depending on your personal physiology.

If you Google "why the scale lies", you'll find numerous articles/blogs on the topic written from a pretty wide slice of different dietary eating plan adherers.

Last edited by fetch : Mon, Dec-16-13 at 12:31.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-13, 12:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

You're thinner - what else matters??? Dump the scales lol

Jo xxx
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-13, 02:29

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Scales are just a tool, I agree with Jo and the others that a number doesn't really matter, size, measurements, clothes are all more important.

That said, I'm using daily weigh ins to keep me engaged and accountable, so I am on my scale every morning. I can handle the ups and downs.

I bought a small "travel scale" a month or so ago to help keep me on track while on vacation. Put it next to my home scale in the bathroom and it weighs anywhere from 0.5 to 2.0 pounds less than my home scale. Its annoying but I've tried moving them both around over and over and they just weigh me differently. No big deal, when I travel I add 2.0 to the travel scale weight.

I'm pretty sure your difference is due to scale accuracy, so don't let it throw you off!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-13, 05:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

The body tries to keep an equilibrium, including keeping you at the same weight.. However, eating low-carb often results in people losing fat and building more lean tissue which is less bulky per pound, so you may weigh the same, even though you have lost fat.

I have the same problem with my body being unwilling to drop below a particular weight - even though I appear slimmer and wear smaller clothes. I've read of other people who have noticed the same thing.

That said - weight yourself on another scale occasionally to ensure that your scales are accurate.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Tue, Dec-17-13 at 05:58.