Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 13:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/179/115
BF:
Progress:
Question Ortho Cyclen and spotting

I've been taking Ortho Cyclen for four years now with little or no problems. I started the Atkins diet two weeks ago and I've been spotting off and on for about one week now. I've talked to my pharmacist, a nurse in my doctor's office, and I've e-mailed the people at the Atkins website. Everybody is telling me that they haven't heard anything like this before. All the Atkins people told me was that they hadn't done any research and that the pill may make me resistant to losing weight...not my question at all. I can't even get anyone to speculate why this is happening. I haven't had this much spotting since I first went on the pill over four years ago. Has anyone else had any problems like this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 19:21

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default I had the same problem and there are others out there that have too...

I posted a thread a while ago about this...I was on Othrotricyclen (if that's how you spell it) too and when I started Atkins I had the same problem. For me, I started Atkins at the beginning of my cycle and after two weeks, my full blow Tom came to town. To make a long story short, of the first two months that I was on Atkins, I had TOM for 6 weeks. It was horrible and expensive Anyway, I went to the Dr. and they didn't know what to say, but they put me on a higher dose and I've been fine.
I couldn't get the Rn I saw at my Health Center (I'm in college) to tell me whether or not the pill was less effective (due to all the spotting), so that's why I changed my pill...no babies for me, not yet anyway

You can do some searches about this on the site, but what the "general thought" is that since your body is releasing more fat cells (and that's linked to estrogen some how) it can bring on your period more frequently. Definitely do a search, I will and I'll reply another post

I'll be back with a link,
Erin
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 19:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Hi Summit11!

Here is a link to a previous discussion we had on the subject. The effect appears to be based on insulin, which is a hormone.

Effects on Menstruation

I hope this helps you out.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 19:24

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Default Here it is...

TOM Link

This should be some help and check out the links it has in it.

Erin