Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 08:25

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default What Keeps You Going When The Scales Won't Budge?

What keeps you going when the scales won't budge? Isn't it frustrating? Somedays I wonder if it's worth it and then I get myself together when I think about:

How much better I feel.
I've lost 6 inches in my waist!
My neck is looking more like I only have one chin
NO MORE INTENSE CARB CRAVINGS
I feel more in control of my eating now
And I think of the future:
I love clothes and really want to wear them better than I do now.
I want to be as active as I use to be.

What helps you? What's your motivation when those dang scales aren't kind to you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 08:52

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

When the scales are being petulant I remind myself that I am now sleeping through the night, that I can wear my size 16 pants again, that I have tonnes o energy all day long, that I havent needed an advil in months and that it's only temporary

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 11:42
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Thinking

I do some thinking.
There are reasons why we don't weigh less.
I wish I could say its something I figured out but it was
with the help of Nat and Karen

Now I'm assuming you are measuring yourself and its not changing either. With that assumption I usually think about:

1. Is it two weeks before my TOM? If so I remember I usually gain water for a week and a half before my TOM, a few days before my TOM, I pee like a river!

2. Am I drinking too much caffeine or having too much salt? This is my main problem. I eat sausages and use butter (though now I use unsalted butter) They have alot of salt.

3. Am I eating too much cheese, cream cheese, nuts or diet drinks? I have to be honest about these things. After 3 months I've almost don't have these things any more.

If I don't have answers then I go on here and vent!

But I try to keep in mind my health is so much better, no asthma, allergies are down and I worry less about what food does to me...
as you can see, I worry easy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 13:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/159/135
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile Flatter tummy

Just not feeling bloated all the time like I used to is worth it to me, even if the overall weight loss is slow, slow, slow. Eating moderate amounts of the so-called "proper" diet (lo-fat, etc), my poor tummy always felt like a gasbag about to explode.

The second big plus is I'm not hungry all the time, and when I am, I know I can eat something that will satisfy my hunger without having to stuff myself.

I do hope I don't have to cut back on the cheese and macadamia nuts, though. I love them both!

Coquina
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 18:01

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Hhhhhmmmmmm.......

Many are already mentioned, but

SLEEP--a very precious thing

No hunger

level moods

level energy

strength in my muscles, when I exercise

Less PMS

Less hotflashes and nightsweats

calm feeling, serenity

HOPE (that I'll lose this flab)

Less, or no, aches and pains

No belching, gas , heartburn, bloat

no sugar highs and lows

clearer thinking and better memory (food to the brain )

and call me nuts, but I honestly think my eyesight's gettingbetter!

I THINK I can live with all of this till the weight comes off.

yb
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 04:31
Registered Member

Stats: 209/177/132
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default All of the above!!!

The only thing that really keeps me going at times is this forum!!!!!

I did not lose anything, not even centimeters for about 5-6 weeks, I think it was that long, I stopped counting after a while!!

Nat, I would not have thought that you could possibly classed as a slow loser, infact you are a speedy loser according to my calculations
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 04:33
Registered Member

Stats: 209/177/132
BF:
Progress: 42%
Wink Sorry about the gramatical errors there......

My mum learned me how to talk proper!!!!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 12:06

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

THis is so interesting to read how each of you copes with the "petulant" scales ( --Nat) Now, I have some new ammunition to fight those feelings of hopelessness when they come on! Like coquina and Yogabuff, I have digestive probs. when I'm not on this WOE...and I must confess that the 6 inches that I lost was a lot of that bloat! It feel great not to have that bloaty tummy sticking out!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 20:22

Stats: 145/136/125-130
BF:
Progress:
Default great idea for support forum!!

Great ideas for keeping on it!!

I tend to be hard on myself in general...so when it comes to gaining a few pounds, or not losing any at all, despite my efforts and hours in the gym...I can get into a pretty sour mood all day!! But that day I try to be especially cautious of what i am eating...but most importantly try to forget about the weight specifics and think about the satisfaction I am getting from the food I do get to eat. I submerge myself in my work and friends, wait a few days and weigh again. Usually things look better by then...

TIP: Never weigh yourself if you know it hasn't changed and the day is already not going so great. Instead, put on a cute outfit and get busy!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 14:04

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default What's the alternative?

I think the number one thing that keeps me going when the scale won't budge is this.....

What's the alternative?

I could go back to the way I used to eat.....but that wasn't working. I could try something different.....but I haven't found anything that works as well as LC.

So....I keep on keeping on! And I have to say that for me...persistance is paying off.

I'm here for the duration. I love this WOE and I can't think of a single reason to stop! Not even a scale that seems to be stuck!

Marlaine
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 14:33
Registered Member

Stats: 185/185/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Dittos, Marlaine
I really have no other choice. No other diet works for me (well, they probably would if I could stay on them, but I can't). So I'm here for the duration.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 22:17

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

When the scale didn't budge for me...I trashed it...literally...and that was fun...then I bought a new one...this one has not been kind either...but It was too expensive to throw out...so...hmmm....

l do think about how much better I feel. I love feeling in control of my life...and eating. I love no longer having that stupid little voice taunting me to go eat. I simply do not feel like I constantly need to eat...I love that...

As many of you know...I was quite frustrated over the scale situation...I have calmed down from that...and these are some of the things I have done to help myself through it.

When I lost my first 10 lbs my d/h bought me a new leather purse...then I was going to change my hair for my second 10...but the scale was not co-operating...so I went ahead and did it anyhow, just last week...took myself from a streaked blonde...to a deep, rich auburn...it looks great...even my youngest told me I looked 10 years younger. Then today...I went shopping and bought myself some new clothes...The pants are an XL...which is good for me...cuz I was ready for 2X. so I am proud of that. The shirt is a 1X...and that too is down from a 2X...so I am happy about that too.

For me...when I am down...or frustrated I have to do something to make me feel better...and shopping is a good way. A lot of times it is just window shopping, because I don't want to put a bunch of money out for clothes I will not be able to wear for long. And I love to dream about buying some really nice...thin ladies clothes...I pick out all the fashions that I want when I finally get to goal...even on the net...I like to use my virtual model...and go shopping...it is so much fun. Every now and then though...I splurge.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 06:32

Stats: 140/132/120
BF:
Progress: 40%
Talking Having a good day

I am so happy, lost 1 pound. I always weigh myself in the morning since this seems to be a stable time.

I worked out for about 2 hours yesterday. I ran and did weights. I am happy. 10 more pounds to go and I will feel better!!

How is everyone else doing?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 10:19

Stats: 185/159/135
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking I'm a Happy Turtle

I finally broke through and lost 2 lbs last week. That's 5 altogether for my first month on induction. I had to start monitoring my carbs (under 20/day) and calories (2000/day) very carefully, but it seems to have worked. OTOH, I had a stressful day yesterday and nearly doubled my usual amount of carbs. So now I have to see how that affects things in the next few days. Plus today I have my first "eating out" experience at a luncheon with friends. Have to see how that goes. But I'm determined to get right back on track with this WOE.

My partner has picked it up from me and keeps telling me how much better he feels! It's causing him to make big changes in his lifestyle, too,which is great. He's drinking less cola and actually cooking and eating a sit-down breakfast, which he never did before, and has cut out all sugary stuff. He's been free of tension headaches and has a lot more energy. Plus he says he knows when he's hungry now, as opposed to just snacking out of habit. He keeps thanking me for starting this!

Coquina
"Slow is Better"
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 20:28

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I am also down another pound this week. Yahoo. Glad to see the ol' metal monster moving in the right direction.