Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 06:31

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default A new tool.

This thread probably belongs in general health but I thought it would be most useful to people with thyroid issues.

In my town they just opened this great new service called Any Lab Test Now. You can go in *without* a doctors lab order and get the test you want. Some of the tests are even reasonably priced. The website lists the most common tests, but if you want something not listed call your local branch, they should be able to do *any* test, and get you a price on what you need.

No more being completely stuck in your quest to figure out what isn't working properly by a doc who isn't listening.

They are a franchise business, there seems to be a lot of franchises in some place and very few in others, but I think it will pick up.

I have nothing to do with the franchise. Not getting paid by them. I'm just posting about it because I personally plan to use it to get some detailed blood work done so that I can find some of my own answers.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 11:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There are quite a few places doing this. lef.org, healthcheckusa.com, smokey mountain something, enterolab.com.

I think it is wonderful! Oh, last blood test I purchased myself the phlebotomist was really curious about it and thought it was a wonderful thing.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 12:26

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Great Smokies is now Genova Diagnostics.

After a poster here mentioned it, I bought a blood sugar test, A1c, at Walmart for $9. You drop your blood on the card, send it in and get results in 5-7 days online it says, or longer for mail.

There's a blood spot test like that for Vit D right now but it looks like it's over $100. One site I found said $15 on their order form but $115 elsewhere, so I e-mailed them. $15 would be great but I think it's a typo.

Self testing is the wave of the future and I think it's great.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 12:37
Experimenter

BF:

Oh right! I did that too. Pretty cool.

The only D3 test that is reliable according to the dudes at the Vitamin D council is the one that LabCorp has.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...amin-d-lab.html
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 13:01

Interesting. I do believe that the Vit D blood spot test is really new though. The lab is ZRT Lab.

Vit D test is $63 at LEF for nonmembers.

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplem...Blood-Test.html

Looks like the lab is "National Diagnostics, Inc"
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 14:17
Experimenter

BF:

My D3 test from Lef.org sent me to labcorp, and the report was on labcorp letter head. I think that other company is just the one that arranges it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 14:27

Ah, ok. I wondered about that. Wish that test wasn't so pricey. I heard back about the spot test and the website said it's $15 to them for the kit and then $115 to the lab, which matches what I saw elsewhere.