Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 17:13

Plan: Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
Stats: 188/175/135 130
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi there

Hello everyone. My name is Bonnie, and I am new to this board stuff, so I hope that I am doing this right. I have no clue, what some of this stuff means on this board, but I will give it my best. Okkk, enough said about that.

My husband and I are on the Dr. Atkins diet in hopes that we will lost all this excess weight that we have put on. Yes, we both ate our share and then some in junk food, just loaded up the Carbs to the point that something must be done now. We are both 51, so we need to start taking care of our health better.

He won't be posting on this board, but, I will. I just wanted you to know that it is two of us doing this together which helps when you have a partner that is sharing the same diet as you. He weighs 260 lbs, and I was 188, now down to 175 lbs.

We are doing the Atkins diet because it worked for me when I was in my 20's when Dr. Atkin put out his 1st book, but to be honest, I was somewhat hestitate at 1st, because of our age, and because I was worried about the cholesterol part. But, so far we are feeling fine, and for the 1st time, we are actually losing the pounds, but I must be doing something wrong, since I am not losing as fast as I thought that I would.
Maybe it is because I need to start exercising more, to help burn off the weight. In any case, I am NOT giving up. I just need to get myself in gear and start moving this body.
I am so glad to have found a support group and I hope that together we can get tips and advice, and help each other towards our goals.
Thats all for now. Please feel free to respond to my message.
Have a nice evening.
Oh, and Good Luck to All.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 17:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi Bonnie

Welcome to both you and your husband

The best way to figure this site out is to have a darn good poke around.It's also a good idea to start a Journal so we can pop by to see how things are going and offer tips etc.

IF you haven't already it would be useful to get hold of the latest version of Dr A's book which has updated a lot of the information.

Don't worry about the loss being slower than last time...if you are losing you are doing it right As we get older our metabolism does chaange so you may find things a little slower this time around.

Good luck...I look forward to seeing some posts from you

Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 17:22

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Welcome aboard!

How fast do you think you shoud be losing? Based on what?

You're not in your 20's any more. You've done at least one diet in the past. Other factors may result in a slower loss than you were hoping for.

But since this is a permanent change in your eating habits (right?) it doesn't matter in the long run. The weight will come off in it's own good time.

Start a journal and track your activities and intake. Others can then review it and suggest ways to optimize your progress.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 19:28

BF:
Progress:
Default Hi There

Because I have never done this before, I do not know if I am replying to LesleyC, or to wbahn. I am puzzled on how to reply back.
I don't know who I am talking to. Help if you know what to do.
Thanks
Bonnie
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 19:46

Hi Bonnie,

you replied to us both

It is just one long thread and each time someone has something to add they hit the reply button. Everyone who has contributed to the thread then gets and email to tell them thee is something new.

If you want to start a completely separate thread just click on new thread.

Don't worry you'll soon get the hang of it

lesley
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 22:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/116/115
BF:
Progress: 97%
Post Welcome

Hi Bonnie

I know you'll find this site helpful for you and your hubby. I know you'll be able to do this WOE (way of eating) this time around. I had lost before, also on Atkins, 25 yrs ago. This time may be slower but it will be a WOL (way of life). Last year I was at 150. I'm now at 120. I will be turning 50 this summer and it's my motivation.

Everyone here is so helpful!! Countless tips and stories of success.

Hope to read of your successes

Angelfish
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 15:30

BF:
Progress:
Smile

1st, thank you for being so helpful to me on this board, since I am new here, and I am used to the Aol boards that is one after another.
LesleyC, Wbahn, and Angelfish, thank you for welcoming me here. I appreciate the friendliness.
Lesley, I thought that I HAD the NEW Dr. Atkins book til yesterday, when you mentioned the new updated version. So, I went looking and found that I DIDN'T have the new book. Thanks for telling me about the updated version. Now, I will have to go buy it.
Also, LesleyC, and Angelfish, Ya'll must be right about the fact that our metabolism slows down as we get older, so No matter how fast I would like to lose the weight, it will just have to happen in its own time.
Wbahn, you asked How fast do I think that I should be losing? Based on what?
Well, its hard to really answer that. I guess that I am just eager to lose this weight, so I can look good this summer before we go on vacation. I know that vanity that is taking over, ...But...Hey...I'm a woman.
I am allowed that priviliged..
I will get around to writing a journal after I read some of ya'lls so I can get an idea of what to write down. (usually, my journals are kept in private, so this will be another 1st for me.

To be honest, I never really thought of taking the Low Carb diet as a WOL, meaning forever. I only wanted to lose this weight to make me look better and feel better, but I have found out from my husband , since he has been on this diet, that he NO longer has the bad indigestion like he used to have. He says that he really feels better, but he didn't know if it was the diet or taking the vitamins or both.. Hmmmmm, that has me thinking..Should I consider staying on this diet for good?
Not sure yet..but, I will give it a good try.

Now, LesleyC, how did you get that puppy dog by your name? That is cute, since I have 4 dogs, and love them so much.
Take care,
Bonnie
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:00

Hi Bonnie,

i am a dog freak too

i have two finnish spitz, and they are my world. I'd love to hear about your 4 babies

The wee picture is an avatar that you can get by going into your profile under edit options... right down the bottom of that page you have an option to select an avatar. You can put one in form the list provided or customise your own.

I jsut thought that the pup was me to a T

lesley
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:33

BF:
Progress:
Default Hi There

Hi LesleyC,
I know that you love those babies of yours. I do not know what Finnish Spitz look like. But, I do know that you spoil them rotten. I do the same with mine.
I have a full-blooded Golden Retriever, Rusty, cause he looks the rust colored. He is 9 years old.
Also have Duchess, she is lab/golden mix
And Sandi, she is the only pup that Rusty and Duchess had. They got together by accident.
Lets not forget the real baby, and that is Star. She is 3 years.
My daughter got her for me, when My baby, Lady died. And she was givin to me around Christmas when she was 6 weeks old. Her whole name is Christmas Star, and she is Lab/Golden mix.

Thank you for telling me about the Dog sign. I will have to get me one.
Bonnie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:38

Hi Bonnie

Finnish Spitz are a bit like a small husky and are a rusty/red colour. They are about the same size as a border collie.

They look a lot like a fox with prink ears and a smily face.

My two are Kaisa (male 7) and Jaani (6 female) and they are cousins, and the best mates ever!

Your tribe sounds wonderful. Labs and Goldens are such lovely breeds, so placid and affectionate.

My two are full on 90 mph all the time

Lesley
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 18:06
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Cool

Hi Bonnie,
Welcome to the board!
Wadda you mean you're losing too slowly? I started a month before you and have lost a few pounds less than you. So in my book you're doing wonderfully!
And don't go comparing your loss with that of your hubby. The blokes always lose faster than we do. Yes, I know it's no fair but that's just the way it is.
I think you should seriously consider eating this way forever. Otherwise you'll almost certainly put the weight back on eventually.
Bonnie, I'm looking forward to reading your journal - p'rhaps I'll learn something!

Rosebud
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 18:18

BF:
Progress:
Smile Hi There

Lesley, Since you described your dogs, I now remember what
I have seen dogs like this, so I know what you are talking about.
They are cute and frisky. So that explains why they go about 90 miles an hour.
My male is the one that is laid back, and much Calmer. The girls on the other hand are like your too.
Bonnie
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 18:38

BF:
Progress:
Default Hi There

Hello Rosebud, thank you for the welcome.
Thanks for saying that I am doing wonderfully. You are doing great too. As long as we keep losing, then that means that we must be doing something right then , doesn't it.
Hun, I don't know where I was comparing my husband to me. I do remember putting his weight down, where he is now after he has lost some pounds, like I did for myself. I didn't put his starting weight, because I didn't remember what that was. But, I think that he is doing great.
Oh, and I did put that he felt better now that he no longer is filled with all that indigestion from the meals that we used to eat.
I do not think that it is right to compare him to me. We are individuals, and we all lose different amounts of weight, at different times.
I have been looking through this web site, and learning alot of things, such as hidden carbs, and like the fact that steak sauces even have carbs in them, which I didn't know. I never took into consideration that my little bit of creamer for my coffee had carbs in it. I guess coffee does too, but I am not giving that up.
Bonnie
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 18:55
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Hi again, Bonnie.
I just meant I was hoping you weren't comparing yourself to hubby, because it's seems that much easier for them. I'm glad you weren't, though.
Good for you, realising we are all different. The reason I mentioned it at all was because some folk get worried and upset that their menfolk lose so much faster than them.
My SO is doing this with me, too. Well, sorta. He doesn't have much weight to lose but would just like to trim down a little.
We both used to suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Although he has more carbs than me, our IBS has all but gone and for that reason alone he will eat this way forever. (I'll eat this way to get and stay slim. )
Cheers, Bonnie. Keep up the good work!

rose:Rosebud
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 19:55

BF:
Progress:
Default Hi There

Good evening Rosebud,
Your right some wives do compare themselves to their husbands, but I am glad that you know that I wasn't doing
that. My husband is a big eater. He loves his Steaks. So he is glad that he can eat all the meat that he wants.
Me, on the other hand, eats smaller portions.
I do have one
problem though, I am not big on eggs, and My main problem with
this diet is breakfast. If I could just find something to eat other than eggs and bacon or sausage every morning. Some morning, I just do NOt want to eat, but thats not good. Maybe you are someone can offer some suggestions for me. I would appreciate it.
Thank you,
Bonnie