Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 23:55

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%
Thumbs up Low carb Wasa-type crispbread

I've made these a couple of times and thought I would share the recipe. They are yummy, quick, and VERY low carb!

1 tbsp ground flax
1 tbsp bake mix (I use a combination of Atkins bake mix, bran, wheat protein isolate, and a bit of baking powder, but I think any bake mix or protein powder would do)

Mix the flax and bake mix with a couple tbsps of water to form a medium-consistency paste. Using the back of a spoon, spread the paste out cracker-thin on a piece of parchment paper. Top with sesame seeds if desired. Nuke on high for two minutes. (No, they don't steam. Yes, they come out crunchy!) Peel off parchment paper, let cool for a minute or two, and enjoy! To me, these crsispbreads taste and crunch just like Wasa, only a bit thinner and lighter. They are crispy and sturdy enough to take toppings.

Carb count depends mostly on what's in the bake mix. You can add sesame seeds, spices to taste, or, for a sweet cracker, cinnamon and Splenda to taste. Probably Parmesan cheese mixed in with the flax/bake mix would work too, for a cheesy cracker, though I haven't tried it yet. I think this recipe has lots of potential for tweaking!

I don't know how well the crispbreads keep, since I make just one at a time and eat it right away.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 03:14
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

wow, are those ever good. 2 mins in my microwave was a little too much they got a little brown......1 1/2 would worked nicely....but you know even brown they had a great taste.

I used
1 T. ground flaxseed
1 tsp. wheat bran
1 tsp. Carbquik
1 tsp. wheat protein isolate
1 twist on sea salt grinder
1 T. water
pinch baking powder <---- almost forgot

made one 2 1/2 X 4 1/2 cracker and cant be any more than 1 carb

Thank you Rach.....great idea

Last edited by kevinpa : Fri, Feb-03-06 at 03:19.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 00:19

BF:
Smile Ultra high-fibre psyllium LC Wasa

OK - I've been trying to find a way to make psyllium husks taste good, and I've just succeeded!

1 tsp bake mix
1 tsp psyllium
1/2 tsp spice flavoured DaVinci
water to make medium-thin paste

Spread on parchment paper, microwave for two minutes, and voila!

TASTY psyllium cracker! Lovely, warm, crispy-crunchy, melt a bit of butter on top, and DON'T succumb to the temptation to eat another one! Without the butter, virtually NO effective carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 00:30
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel1
OK - I've been trying to find a way to make psyllium husks taste good, and I've just succeeded!

1 tsp bake mix
1 tsp psyllium
1/2 tsp spice flavoured DaVinci
water to make medium-thin paste

Spread on parchment paper, microwave for two minutes, and voila!

TASTY psyllium cracker! Lovely, warm, crispy-crunchy, melt a bit of butter on top, and DON'T succumb to the temptation to eat another one! Without the butter, virtually NO effective carbs.

what wattage is your oven that you go 2 mins without burning?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 00:54
Kitchen Experimenter

here is 1 to try rachel

1 T. almond flour
1 T. wheat bran
1 T. polydextrose
1 T. sf davinci Kahlua syrup

yum its like a cookie
1 min in my microwave
make sure you have a big enough peice of parchment cause it spreads a little

hey lisa ....try this 1.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 10:25

BF:

Hi, Kevin. My microwave is an antique (1988) so I guess it's not as efficient as newer ones. It's still chugging along, though!

I'll try the almond flour Wasa, but I don't have polydextrose - can you suggest a substitute? Would Splenda work, with maybe a little IWP for texture? What exactly is polydextrose anyway - sugar alcohol?

Rachel
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 12:51
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel1
Hi, Kevin. My microwave is an antique (1988) so I guess it's not as efficient as newer ones. It's still chugging along, though!

I'll try the almond flour Wasa, but I don't have polydextrose - can you suggest a substitute? Would Splenda work, with maybe a little IWP for texture? What exactly is polydextrose anyway - sugar alcohol?

Rachel

ok, i was just curious why my times were always less than yours. age may have nothing to do with it though. Mine is a high wattage and I always have to beware of times that are given in recipes.

polydextrose is a fiber and bulking agent.....i 'm afraid I don't know of any substitute for it.

BTW i did a substitute for the kahlua with chocolate syrup and wow it turned out just like a thin chrispy cookie.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 13:02

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Rebecca, I used your idea and made a yummy psyllium cracker/cookie like this:

1 tsp psyllium husks
1 tsp NHF natural (unflavoured) protein powder
1 tsp sesame seeds, ground in my MagicBullet
dash NoSalt
1 tsp butter melted into the rest
+ water to make dough
flatten out on parchment
Nuke on high for ~60 seconds in 1996-vintage microwave

I didn't add the baking powder since it gives me headaches, so the texture was more cookie-like. W/bp it would have been more cracker-like. Putting the butter in it made the dough less sticky than w/water alone.

The taste was reminicent of popcorn, which gave me an idea to see if raw sesame seeds would pop in my old hot-air popper. They don't pop, but they DO get uniformly toasted.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 09:10

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Thank You!!!! These are just wonderful... and so quick! I am still experimenting with different mixes of dry ingredients. It has been so nice to have cheese & crackers again. I can't wait to try all the the variations that have been suggested. Kevin, guess I have to break down and find a source for polyd because I want to try your version. (And all your other wonderful recipes that call for polyd.)

Just thought I would pass along a tip for making these. I have a tortilla press... one of the cheap ones... think I paid about $7... and I am using it to get the perfect uniform thickness for these crackers/cookies.

I experimented with different ways to keep the dough from sticking to the press so that it was easy to remove. I tried covering the press with release foil... stuck a little... then brushed the release foil with a little oil... that worked well. I tried oiling the press by itself... that was a disaster... especially if the dough was a bit less firm. The best method that I have found so far is to use folded parchment paper... place the ball of dough between the folded layers... press... after 2 or 3 they start sticking a little but you can brush the parchment with a little oil to prevent this. And... with this method... you don't have to wash the press!

I would really like to make these in bulk so that I can have them on hand for a quick-grab snack. The only problem is that so far... I eat them as quickly as I make them. Has anyone tried keeping them for a few days to a week? Or baking a large amount in the oven?

Thanks so much! These are wonderful!

Phyllis
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 09:18
Kitchen Experimenter

what I ended up doing was folding the parchment paper and rolling it with a rolling pin....takes about 5 secs and it gets it just the right thickness.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-06, 21:34
Kitchen Experimenter

For those of you who are fans of these crispbreads here is 1 to try.

1 T. wheat protein isolate 5000(whey works also)
1 T. wheat bran
1 T. polydextrose

2 T. shredded cheese of your choice(I used Colby/Jack)
1 T. heavy cream

Pinch of salt

Make sure you have a big enough piece of parchment because it spreads a little.
I started by spreading this out to about a 4 X 4.
I then microwaved it for 2 minutes stopping it at 1 minute to dab off the excess oils from the cheese and then again at the end of the 2nd minute.

The finished cooled 5 X 5 crispbread had a crispy cheesy lace texture to it and was absolutely yummy.

Last edited by kevinpa : Mon, Feb-27-06 at 00:21.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 07:29

Stats: 163/154/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Question for Rachel

Hi Rachel - Can you help me. I cant afford Atkins Bake Mix with the shipping anymore so I found a clone recipe on the net that calls for Soy Protein Isolate. First, do you know of a substitute bake mix I can make myself in place of Atkins? Second, this clone recipe I found for Soy P Isolate, do you know if I can use Soy PRotein Powder instead? It's much easier to find.

HELP!!

sherirox
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 10:51

Stats: 163/154/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 27%

I made this last night - it was delicious BUT it was not crispy. Wonder what I did wrong?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-06, 06:36

Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherirox
I made this last night - it was delicious BUT it was not crispy. Wonder what I did wrong?

Difficult to say but it sounds like either you didn't roll it thin enough and/or you need more time in the microwave. All microwaves are different... some take more time... some take less time. And, if you didn't roll it as thinly, it will take more time to get it crispy.

Phyllis
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-08, 20:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

i am trying to get back with low carbing and i will have to try the crackers. sue