Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 13:37

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Also, I have a friend who after dieting for years, started eating in this different way. She held onto every pound until she bumped her calories up over 2300. Only then did she finally start to "let go of her hard-earned pounds". Perhaps you DO need an additional meal?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 14:09

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyB
Excuse me for prying, but how are your BMs? No constipation? Regular? No abdominal pains/cramping in the intestines, etc?

Great question and now I'm wondering the same thing! (hey, we're all adults here and I actually don't think we talk about intestinal health enough.)

My weight fluctuates by around 5 pounds depending on how much stuff is inside of me.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollys121
I am tracking every bit of food on fitday. I mean believe me I agree with patience, but at the end of the day I would like to lose weight at some point, how long do i have to wait, a year? I am eating enough now i believe, between 1300 - 1600 i have a lot of fat. I am not going over my 20g of carbs. I have been very strict.

I have no problem sharing my days worth of food with you, but i do not know how to transfer it from fitday to here!?

I can't say this enough, but up your caloric intake. Also, completely cut out any kind of aerobic exercise. Can you believe how counter-intuitive our advice sounds? But I think with these two tweaks, you'll start experiencing fat loss.

Have you ever heard of the fat aerobics instructor paradox? Look it up on Google, you'll get a laugh :-)
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 22:27

Plan: Keto
Stats: 279/206/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 92%

I know it sounds counter-intuitive Molly, but double your calorie intake. Seriously. You are not having results on a very very low calorie diet. Try following the Atkin's induction rules and do not limit or count calories. Overeat if you want to. It isn't about calories for you on this diet. Try making all of your meals at least 1,000 calories. Breakfast 1 pound of bacon with 3-4 eggs and some cheese. Lunch 2 double quarter pounds with cheese no bun, no ketchup, extra mayo. First dinner 1 pound of sausage. Second dinner I dunno, more bacon lol.

"If something is low in fat, my rule of thumb is to add butter or some other fat to it. It keeps my motor running all day long."

lol me too. I love baked chicken but I find it is a little too low in fat so I often drink some heavy cream with it - yum!

***edit - for the record I didn't read your post where your said "counter-intuitive" prior to my post where I said counter-intuitive brine lol.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 22:40

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I really don't care for chicken breast much, but I will cut it up and cook it in a cast iron skillet (in its own fat). Then I remove the chicken pieces and deglaze the pan with heavy cream. Reduce the cream and add the chicken back. Cream and a dash of garlic will make anything taste amazing. It's also very good with shrimp or scallops.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoricme

***edit - for the record I didn't read your post where your said "counter-intuitive" prior to my post where I said counter-intuitive brine lol.

No problem, the word "counter-intuitive" is a perfect way to describe this WOE. And I say that in a good way.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 05:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/182/112 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

It is really interesting you asked about my bowel movement (actually this is one aspect which is concerning me greatly) In the nearly four weeks I have been doing Atkins I have had ONE yes ONE bowel movement, and i believe it was in my second week, I believe I am constipated ... sorry. I cannot imagine where the food i am eating is going! By the way the majority of my 20g of carbs IS from veggies ... I am also experiencing quite severe back pain (my lower back) My mum is convinced it is due to a lack of calcium, however i am getting cream, and cheese daily!

Believe me, I am not in any way shape or form trying to eat little (i.e keep my calorie intake low) However I am finding it VERY difficult to eat enough. When i began i believe i was only on 1000 below a day. I honestly cannot see how much more I can possibly eat of protein. And i have been scared off eating a lot of bacon :S

It's really bizarre actually, I am still experiencing the extreme head rushes. Having said that i do feel more energetic (I am getting up earlier in the morning etc) I am one of the youngest, if not the youngest here and I am experiencing the most health issues - maybe I am secretly 90!!

P.s I am not currently doing aerobic exercise, I was planning on starting running, but now you have said that I wont.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME !!!!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 10:32

Oh boy, one in four weeks?! Eeek!

That happened to me once and I hadn't thought about it until I was driving around in the car with my friend. My abdominal muscles started to burn like there were knives trying to cut through.

Then I put 2 and 2 together and tried to figure out what the best drug would be to take just so that I could get everything out.

I would recommend that you start taking psyllium fiber (metamucil) on a daily basis.

I go on a regular basis because I'm a coffee drinker, but I would not encourage someone to take up a coffee habit just for the sake of being regular.

Btw, if working out makes you feel good and you enjoy it, you might try some form of resistance training. It seems much more promising than aerobics for weight loss.

Best of luck!

~Brigitta
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 11:16

Btw, here is the chapter out of GT's book that talks about exercise. If you have the time, you should check it out :-)

http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/63...2nd9weugfjputl1
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 17:55

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hi there, I don't know whether you read a post I wrote into another of your threads, but just in case you didn't read it, I'll paste part of it below.

Good oil like olive oil is needed for the fat burning process, so limiting it too much is like having a handicap. Even a teaspoon at a meal will help - you don't need to go way over the top until you get the diet working for you.

Dr. Atkins discusses a number of issues in the book which can sabotage the success of the diet, including caffeine, insufficient sleep and food intolerances - it is worth reading it over carefully to see what might apply to you. Also, stay away from low-calorie sweeteners.

Without having a better idea of what you're eating and when, it is difficult to guage what's happening. Can you start a journal and write down whatever you eat, and when each day? I strongly recommend it. If you start a journal then I am more than happy to visit to take a look at it - just leave me a message anytime.

With regard to the not going to the loo.. Keeping the carbs at 20 is one reason you're constipated, because fibre is what will move the food through your system. Upping your fibre intake and oil might help. Dr. Atkins suggested fibre supplements in his book - I bought one of them in the UK when I first started low-carbing. Once I had raised my carbs a bit on OWL, the problem disappeared. Another way to get yourself moving is by taking vitamin C. It is not dangerous, because the body excretes any extra, so try taking say 1000 mg, and if you don't go within an hour, take more, you'll eventually "go" - stay close to a loo, because you'll probably have to go in a hurry, lol.

Good luck.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sat, Sep-03-11 at 18:05.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 20:45
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
It is really interesting you asked about my bowel movement (actually this is one aspect which is concerning me greatly) In the nearly four weeks I have been doing Atkins I have had ONE yes ONE bowel movement, and i believe it was in my second week, I believe I am constipated ... sorry. I cannot imagine where the food i am eating is going! By the way the majority of my 20g of carbs IS from veggies ... I am also experiencing quite severe back pain (my lower back) My mum is convinced it is due to a lack of calcium, however i am getting cream, and cheese daily!

Believe me, I am not in any way shape or form trying to eat little (i.e keep my calorie intake low) However I am finding it VERY difficult to eat enough. When i began i believe i was only on 1000 below a day. I honestly cannot see how much more I can possibly eat of protein. And i have been scared off eating a lot of bacon :S

It's really bizarre actually, I am still experiencing the extreme head rushes. Having said that i do feel more energetic (I am getting up earlier in the morning etc) I am one of the youngest, if not the youngest here and I am experiencing the most health issues - maybe I am secretly 90!!

P.s I am not currently doing aerobic exercise, I was planning on starting running, but now you have said that I wont.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME !!!!

Hi Molly,
4 weeks with only one BM is not something to take lightly and you need to get the corrected asap. OK?
You can take psylium fiber and also you can take magnesium before bedtime. I started with 400 mgs mag and ended up with 800 mgs per night to insure I have a healthy BM in the mornings. The magnesium will help a lot! But after 4 weeks of not eliminating, it could take your body a couple of days to get cleared out.
IMO, that is why you're not seeing any losses....yet!!
Also if you are eating more than 4 ozs of cheese per day, that can be causing your body to be constipated. 4 ozs is the upper maximum limit. I allow myself only 2 ozs per day. Too much cheese can be constipating!

If you want others to be able to see your Fitday, ther is an option there to make it 'public'. Once you've done that, bring a link here.
On the no exercise, a nice brisk walk for 30-40 minutes a day, will help your body immensely!!
We'll help you get this sorted out!!
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 02:53
Registered Member

Stats: 182/182/112 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Here is my fitday link ... http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJou...Owner=Mollys121

And regards to the cheese, I do not think in a single day i have used the maximum amount of 4oz. I consume between 1 and 3oz a day. Well you will be able to see from my food log (:

I have been given a lot of options with regards to my BM ... Which one should i choose? Which one is best, i would rather not take laxatives by the way - as I am going back to school tomorrow!

OLIVE OIL. Believe me I am no stranger to the stuff. I use it a lot which you will be able to see from my log, so i do not think this is the problem.

It is interesting you mention food intolerance's. I have always thought i had either one or some, as i used to get hideous belly aches followed by chronic diarrhea ... sorry if TMI ... It has subsided however since being on Atkins to only a few twinges. And i really would rather NOT go to the doctors.

I really do hope i can work this out, at this rate I am going to reach fifty and be 50 stone :/
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 03:00

Quote:
Here is my fitday link ... http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJou...Owner=Mollys121

Which one is best, i would rather not take laxatives by the way...

I think what you mean is that you don't want a stimulant laxative. Those things are horrific. I accidentally took too many and RAN to the bathroom. It was a close call.

However, you could try Miralax for a week or two which is non-stimulant. It is a polymer in your system and really bulks up in your colon. It seems to do something similar to psyllium fiber. So Miralax is another good option if the fiber 3x daily doesn't work.

And of course there are other options like yoga, walking, abdominal massage (I like to do this sometimes, gets things moving).

Good luck with all this. Constipations sucks!
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 07:34

BF:

Don't do the vitamin C thing if you are not in the house, lol.

I agree that magnesium is great too.. I bought something called Oxypowder when I first did Atkins induction. It was great. It is meant for a big cleanse, but you could use a lot less - maybe one a day - and it would get things moving for you.

http://www.oxypowdercleansing.com/tag/magnesium-oxides/

There's a discussion about magnesium in this thread in the newbies section:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...62&page=3&pp=15

Quote:
... of course there are other options like ... abdominal massage

abdominal massage could work very well. Start at the bottom of your tummy above your right leg, with your right fingers, push in, then up, then take your fingers away. Keep repeating, moving further and further up, gradually working towards your chest. Once you reach your ribcage, start working across the way, pushing over to the other side of your body, then down the other side towards your left leg. This is the path of your colon:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...lsize/19220.jpg

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sun, Sep-04-11 at 08:20.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 07:55

BF:

Molly, you haven't gained any weight, so that is a great thing. Can I suggest that you try adding some oily fish. Salmon, smoked mackerel, sardines all provide Omega oils which help with weight loss:

http://www.mind1st.co.uk/omega-3-fish-oil-weight-loss/