Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 00:33

Plan: not sure
Stats: 700/700/325 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Default 700lbs it's now or never

Hello,
Well I'm 34 years old and I am the biggest I have ever been in my life. I have been fat since childhood but I never dreamed it would turn into this. In 7th grade I weighed in for football at 210 pounds. In 11th grade I weighed in at 340.
After high school I worked at a Dominos pizza for 3 years which saw me baloon up to 450 pounds mostly from seriously eating all the free pizza I wanted 5-6 days a week.

Went through some higher education got a better job and moved to Chicago where I stayed between 450-500 for years. I could still get around ok so it never bothered me too much. Fast forward to years later and it got so bad I couldn't fit behind the wheel of my company vehicle and they ended up firing me because of my weight.

Ended up on SS disability because I couldnt land a job at my size, mostly due to the fact that I had a hard time standing up longer than 10-15 minutes at a time and like I said I could barely drive.

Met the girl of my dreams though, moved to Georgia and she is a big girl too so we just enabled ourselves to every buffet within a 200 mile radius for 5 years. Moved back to Louisiana, bought a house and around my Birthday in january I finally broke down and realized(more like admitted to myself) that I was a dead man if I didn't face facts.

Made a doctors appointment and thats a lot for me because I avoided the Doc like the plague for many years because I didn't want to hear what he had to say. The Doc was very polite and we did some blood work to see where I was at. Well he's shocked everything comes back normal. No diabetes, no high cholesterol, etc. He prescribes me adipex and I tried it and I could feel my heart racing so fast that it scared the hell out of me and I never took anymore and I didn't return to the doc.

6 months later, I am going downhill very very fast. I can still walk but not nearly like I used to. I can go from one end of Wal-mart to the other but my back is hurting so bad, my ankles, my thighs are burning, and I can't hardly breathe. I go in grab what i need and pray to god I don't fall out on the floor while I'm waiting in the checkout line. Sometimes I get cold sweats and barely make it back to the truck.
Having a ton of trouble in the last year with personal hygeine(I'll spare you the details but you can imagine at my size). I take 2-4 showers a day now because 3 hours after a shower I'm already sweating again. My house is like a walk in cooler because of it.

I'm having a lot of difficulty pushing myself off the couch now and out of my low computer chair. Sometimes I have to sit there for a couple minutes and will myself to do it. I've woken up gasping for air several times AND THAT SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!! I have to sleep in a weird way, on my stomache with my arm across my pillow and my forehead rested on my arm. This is about the only way I can sleep now. If I roll on my back my head goes back too far into the pillow and I wake up gasping for air sometimes.

I've started avoiding most public places during peak times because of the looks I get from people. Lately I been thinking about one last serious diet attempt. I won't bore you with all the previous attempt details but like most of you I have tried everything under the sun. My parents had me on diets at the age of 12 and I even remember doing deal a meal, lol. I've done grapefruit diet, 8 glasses of water a day diet, liquid diets, all sorts of pills and potions, you name it I've tried it.

I actually tried a form of Atkins if you can call it that several years ago. I went on a total boiled chicken diet,lol. I know I know it sounds weird but all i ate was boiled chicken and heinz ketchup and I actually lost 50 pounds. I got off the diet because I was weak and wanted bbq ribs and french fries one night along with about 5 glasses of soda. I gained the 50 back plus more.

I know this type of diet can work with the low carbs. I just have to make myself stick to it. I'm eating all my junk food up this week and I'm not buying anymore.

I'm gonna have my girlfriend take some before pictures and I'll post them up this weekend. I'm very embarassed so I might hold a piece of paper over my face or something but I'll write down the name of the website and my login name on the paper so you know its the real me.

I'm gonna have a ton of questions and I'm already cringing at the thought of the induction flu. I went through that on the chicken diet and I felt like crap for several days. I know once you get passed it, you start to feel better.

Peace be with you
Phattwoohie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 00:57

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Welcome.

Low-carb is a fantastic lifestyle and it very well may save your life.
For what it's worth, I never had any induction flu at all.

Just remember to really educate yourself on what you can and can't have and always keep "allowed" foods within reach.

Good luck with your weight loss. I'll be interested in your success
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 02:26

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 350/280/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 35%

First of all, congratulations on making the choice to get control of your life. May I suggest as well as reading books from the various diet plans (Protein Power Lifeplan, Atkins, so on) that you read Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories. It's a bit weighty, but worth it.

As for induction flu, don't worry about it. I get it almost every time I come back from the land of sugar, and it's not all that bad. While I don't doubt that it is horrible for some people, I don't think that it is a big percentage. Often, I hear people whinge about induction flu, but often these people don't really want to be on low carb at all (or any restrictive way of eating for that matter). It is sometimes used as an excuse to eat bread and cereals (which leads to cakes, sweets, take-outs, etc.). Again, I don't doubt some people have a hard time adjusting, but frankly, when you're super-morbidly obese (as I was at one time as well), living is hard. What I notice more than feeling tired/vaguely ill a few days in is that after a day or two I stop getting heartburn, my joints stop hurting as much (or at all), I start to have more endurance.

If I were you, I'd choose Atkins. Read the book (get an older version used if possible). Do induction perfectly. Eat a salad every day as some of your carbs. Measure everything. Don't use pre-made low carb crap like bars and shakes. Record what you've eaten either here on My P.L.A.N. or on Fitday. I am not on Atkins now, but not because it's not a good diet.

I wish you the best of luck. Is your girlfriend going to try low carb as well? Believe me it helps, and if she is going to be cooking your food, she definitely needs to understand the perimeters of the diet you end up choosing.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 05:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 328/263/140 Female 162
BF:
Progress: 35%

welcome...I know you can do this - this works. I am back on the wagon myself, and understand fully how hard it is to face facts. Is your g/f on board as well? It's easier sometimes when both partners are doing it...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 05:30

Plan: Atkins/HcG
Stats: 211/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

hello and welcome Phatwoohie
I totally agree with the previous posters -- you really need to get your SO on board so she can help you through this journey. When I first started, my hubby was on board too, which really helped. He has since "fallen" off the wagon so I have to cook things for him (and his son when he's with us)...that's the hardest part!

So glad you've found us and this WOL. It is truly very rewarding to see the pounds just "melt" away! Once you start losing quickly you won't ever want to munch on those foods again!

Good luck to you
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 05:49
Carpe Diem

Stats: 310/260/185 Male 70
BF:42/33.7/25
Progress: 40%

I wish you well. There are many people on this board who will help you along the way. May I suggest that you start a journal and use the MyPlan feature on this website to record everything that you eat on a daily basis. This will help you tremendously to get a variety of low carb food into your diet and help you to focus on what you are consuming. I also would like to suggest that you unload your store of junk food right away instead of consuming it. If you are faithful to MyPLan and don't waiver from it you will start seeing results very soon.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 13:07

Stats: 245/245/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

You must do this to save your life. Don't quit! We weill all be here for you. Try not to eat just one type of food though. Just cut out the carbs. Good luck!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 14:01

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Phattwoohie

Welcome to the forum! Everyone has already given you some great advice, but I thought I'd offer you a couple little tips:

- read extensively - pick a plan and follow it to the letter (especially at the beginning). I also suggest Atkins. With whatever you choose, though, make it your first source for information. Of course, whenever you need help, post freely on this forum, but always use your plan as the first source of information. In my opinion, I find that peoples' tweaks to their plans often confuse other forum members and leads to a whole bunch of confusion. Don't make it complicated. If you don't know if you can eat it, look it up in your book. If you're still not sure if you can eat it, just don't eat it.

- watch your sodium. You don't have to super restrict or anything (unless it's a problem for you), but I find that my sodium intake can sometimes get out of control while low carbing. I've been trying to reduce (and I'm the salt queen!), and I've noticed a huge difference - my taste buds are adjusting as well.

- drink your water. Personally, I DO NOT drink any diet soda. A lot of people on this forum do, which is fine, but please do not forget water. (I would definitely avoid aspartame, though).

Don't forget - it's all a learning process! As you go, listen carefully to your body and it will tell you what it needs. I'm not going to lie, it won't be easy at first, but you will see/feel changes quickly, and the rewards will soon become abdundant!

You need to do this to save your life and you will!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 14:48

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 326.8/303.8/195 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Welcome Phatwoohie!

Congrats on taking the first step in changing your life. The road ahead won't be easy(especially at first) but can be very rewarding. Don't be afraid to turn to the people on this board if you ever need help....a lot of the people on here have big hearts and are very supportive.

One tip I can give you is if you ever slip up on your diet and have something you shouldn't get right back on track with you're very next meal...don't wait till the next day. I'll get back on track tomorrow easily turns into after the weekend, then to next week, then to next month, then to ah screw it give me the pizza now...this has happened to me more times then I can count.

Good luck to you on your journey!

Matt
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 15:37

Stats: 250/250/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 0%

Throw the junk food away. Why wait to start? You're just prolonging it. You can do it today. Good luck and it looks like there are a great deal of people here who will be here for your moral support.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 16:08

Plan: Low carb after RNY
Stats: 326/212/160 Female 5"7"
BF:
Progress: 69%

It looks like you have already received quite a bit of great advice so I am just going to agree with previous posters here and welcome you and encourage you to post whenever you can.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 16:33

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Welcome to the forum! Low carb may well save your life. It works!!!

Take it one day at a time and ask for help and support if/when you need it. Start a journal and people will come visit you.

All the best, Julie
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 17:04

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Welcome, and wow, you are such a brave man.

I want to agree with following Atkins, but I suggest reading his Diet Revolution, not his New Diet Revolution (both are available at Amazon). The reason being is the New Diet Revolution allows for junk food, and the Diet Revolution does not.

Eat when hungry. Roast a chicken or two and snack on that all day if need be. Be careful you do not eat more than a few ounces of cheese a day -- many fall into a trap of eating FAR more of that than they realize. A few eggs is good, a few dozen is not because eggs also have carbs.

But again, EAT. Nice fatty cuts of meat. Cook them yourself so you know what's in them. Chickens are so easy to bake and so hard to mess up. You will find that it's hard to eat too much fatty meat. Or have a big old chuck steak in the slow cooker, and after a few hours, just grab some when hungry. Refrigerate what's left over, and eat more.

Have a couple salads a day, but don't go crazy on them. Dr. Atkins does suggest having a bit of psyllium for a few weeks -- fiber does so much damage to your intestines and colon that it may be awhile before that is healthy and healed as well. After awhile, fat will be enough to keep your elimination regular.

I also suggest stay far away from bars and shakes if you possibly can. HOWEVER, you must have a huge caloric need at this point -- a 2.5k calorie diet may weaken you. That's why you need lots of meat. And cook everything in fat.

Cutting out all the refined carbs will do so much for you. I also agree that you should read Good Calories, Bad Calories. Gah, that is one hard to read book, but it has so much fantastic information.

This advice is just my opinion, of course. I have zero medical training and such. But I bet you CAN heal. No matter what, please stay in touch here!

Good luck to you!

Edit to add: BTW, I also highly recommend the movie Fat Head.

Last edited by tiredangel : Wed, Jul-22-09 at 17:18.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 17:27

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Sounds like you could have sleep apnea. If you do sleep on your back, do not let your head tilt forward to your chest. Put a small round pillow under your neck, so your neck tilts back, away from your chest. Sleep apnea is dangerious, CPAP would be considered. Good Calories, Bad Calories is an excellent book, explaining obesity, but it does not tell you what to eat or how much. Just to avoid carbs.

John Hopkins uses a modified Atkins for treating people with epilepsy. "The regimen restricted them to 15 grams of carbohydrates a day. “That’s a few strawberries, some vegetables, or a bit of bread,” says Kossoff. The diet offers most of its calories from fat-eggs, meats, oils and heavy cream-with as much protein and no-carb beverages as patients want." This plan might work well for weight reduction in general, as well as for epileptics.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/pres...8/01_28_08.html

If very low carb does not produce results quickly enough for your goals, don't rule out bariatric surgery, which is? available on ss disability? Or consider a dual path, apply for bariatric surgery. It takes months before surgery, so it gives you time to lose weight. If you lose enough weight, you can cancel the surgery.

Last edited by Matt51 : Wed, Jul-22-09 at 18:45. Reason: for conciseness, and to correct errors
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 18:08
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 176/176/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Good luck, mate!
You can do it! just eat up on meats and you'll literally see the weight melt off! I did it a couple of years ago...I only did it for a couple of weeks, but thats all it took to smash my goal weight. Since acquiring a boyfriend with a sugar addiction I'm back on the wagon!!
Can't wait to see your progress! You can do this and good luck!