Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 08:35

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%
Default Zyban

I will be starting to take Zyban tomorrow in order to quit smoking - zyban is used also as an antidepressant in some cases - I was wondering if anyone has quit smoking using Zyban and if so, did it hinder your progress. Also, I've read that smoking can slow down the progress, so I'm hoping that by quitting the habit, I will still be able to continue my weight loss - any comments will help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 08:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%
Cool

I don't know if it will hinder progress on this WOL, but my Mom did take it to quit smoking. The one thing that really affected her was that it totally killed her appetite. She was already thin and dropped 14 pounds. She gained it back when she went off it, but it was a very dangerous and pronounced side-effect. So, I thought it might help you to be ready for that side-effect and be aware that you may have to force your food down or you will end up stalling and burning muscle. Good luck!

Betsy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 08:59

After all that, did she actually manage to quit smoking? Thanks for the feedback - loss of appetite - that's never happened to me before, even when I'm sick, so hopefully it won't affect me too greatly. Thanks
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 11:11

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Zyban

I took Zyban almost three years ago to help quit smoking. I had attempted quitting many times but with the Zyban I was finally able to do it after 32 years of addiction. I did not use the patch with it but did chew an occasional piece of nicotine gum. Very occasional. And, knowing how I was about my smoking, I took the Zyban for six months so that I would not have a relapse. I can't begin to tell you how wonderful it is to be rid of that addiction!
I did not try to diet while quitting (only one habit at a time) and I did gain weight but probably not as much as I would have gained without the Zyban. The woman mentioned above who lost 20 pounds was probably already thin.
Quitting smoking does slow down your metabolism but I wonder if the low carb diet might actually help you during this time. The diet makes you feel better, more energy, and then you don't have those viscious circle carb cravings. Also, I drank lots of water during quitting and that is good for this diet too.
Zyban helps but it is still not easy. If you find quitting smoking and dieting at the same time just too much, I would recommend that you quit smoking first and then come back to the diet later.
Quitting smoking is the most important thing you will ever do for yourself and for all the people who love you and need you. If you fall off the wagon, get up, and start over. Take one day at a time and, sometimes, one minute at a time.
You can do this!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 11:24

Thank you for the positive reply. I know quitting is going to be hard (28year addict) plus my husband will still be smoking, however, not in the house - his support to me. The diet, well, I don't consider it a diet at all anymore, just a new WOL, so hopefully that won't be a problem - joined aerobics as well to help with the will power as well as weightloss. I guess I'll get some nic-gum in case any carb cravings do creep up on me - a 2 in 1 sort of regimine. Thanks for the luck.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 14:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%
Cool

Absolutely the Zyban worked for her. She has not smoked for over four years. I'm so proud of her!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 15:41

Plan: bfl
Stats: 180/185/150
BF:
Progress: -17%

I will never take Zyban, a.k.a. Wellbutrin again. Yes it killed my appetite, but the sudden violent eruption of digustingly itchy hives that sent me to the emergency room at 1:30 AM on Christmas Day convinced me I didn't need to take it. Watch out for those side efects!! I was taking it not to stop smoking, but to help me sleep at night/depression. I would rather sleep badly than itch all the time lol!!