Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 19:09
Maintaining

Plan: LCHF OMAD
Stats: 170/136/130 Female 62 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 85%

Okay. Well, I'll let you know how it turns out once I start.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 02:53
To Good Health!

Plan: IF Fung/LC Westman/Primal
Stats: 222/171/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/25.3%/24%
Progress: 96%

Fascinating Interview with Vilhjalmur Stefansson,
Reposted by Dr Michael Eades on Twitter

Skip to 11:55 for details of his all meat diet. Note, "you donít have to eat organs, that is a peculiar folklore " Inuit feed those to the dogs.

https://youtu.be/gT7u2GlEfxs

Love the pipe smoking professor/interviewer

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-28-18 at 03:02.
  #168   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 05:45

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think we have to be careful, Stefansson didn't meet all of the Inuit/northern native groups. Also there are non-liver food sources of vitamin A the Inuit ate that we don't. Nutrition data gives 100 grams of Beluga whale, that's about 100 calories, as 7 percent of daily vitamin A requirement, so at 2000 calories that would give 140 percent. But that's a ridiculous 100 percent of calories as protein. If you assumed 30 percent protein, that goes down to 40 percent requirement for vitamin A. You could probably fluff that up, there are accounts of very high food consumption by traditional Inuit, not exactly a sedentary lifestyle. Also, like grassfed meat vs. conventional, the herbivores eaten are likely to have fat richer in beta carotene Liver isn't an essential food, the nutrients in liver are, we can't assume that the Inuit didn't need liver, so we don't. We don't know that all groups didn't need and didn't eat liver, and we don't know that they didn't make up for the lack of nutrients from liver in other foods that we don't have access to.

Understand that I'm not arguing that we must need liver, just that there's uncertainty here.
  #169   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 06:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
According to an analysis of data from the 2007Ė2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), the average daily dietary vitamin A intake in Americans aged 2 years and older is 607 mcg RAE [12]. Adult men have slightly higher intakes (649 mcg RAE) than adult women (580 mcg RAE). Although these intakes are lower than the RDAs for individual men and women, these intake levels are considered to be adequate for population groups.

One thing to throw in with "requirements" is that they're usually not what people are getting on a standard diet, anyways. The requirement for men and women given in this article is 900 and 700 mcg respectively. To be fair, vitamin content of the carnivore diet should be compared to what people would otherwise have eaten, not to some ideal that most people weren't eating in the first place. I mean, you can still aim for some ideal. but there's a reason

Quote:
these intake levels are considered to be adequate for population groups.

Requirements are generally fluffed up, there's a wide safety margin. Personally I like the insurance--but without insurance, most people do fine. But it's in the nature of insurance that you hope you don't need it. If the price is low enough, it's worth it to prevent even a fairly unlikely catastrophe.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/V...thProfessional/
  #170   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 07:31

Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

What a treat to hear Stefansson recount his adventures. Very respectful to the natives who mastered living in arctic conditions, and by nature, a curious scientist/explorer who has fascinating stories.
  #171   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 11:33

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

If you think zero carb people can be bitter and argumentative, you should read some posts from the fruitarian site. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I just figured they are missing a nutrient in their eating plan that promotes kindness and a generous heart