Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 05:49

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 285/268/154 Female 164
BF:
Progress:
Default day 12 atkins and lost 19lbs....

...BUT feel s**t!
I am eating a mix if meats, avocado, mayo, caesar dressing, allowed veg and eggs (adding butter,oil) but I feel terrible. I have lost 19lb since I started but its becoming hard to live like this as I have zero energy and even struggling to eat anything.

I should probably be eating more but even typing that I Feel like laughing at myself as I have many problems but needing to eat more is not usually one of them!

I've done atkins before but only lasted a month, and lost pretty much the same amount of weight that i've now lost in under a fortnight. Just doesn't seem to be adding up. And I had tons of energy; nothing like how i'm feeling now.

Anyone else experienced something similar and can tell me that this will pass?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 07:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

This is not unusual, and it's avoidable. I don't know how much you're eating, but if you're eating what you listed to satiety, then it's not the quantities. Likely it's one of the things that everyone must go through in the stages of adapting to a fat burning mode. In most cases, getting more salt is a simple answer:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...210#post8626210

You've lost a good amount of weight, but note that much of this weight is due to your body flushing water and salt. You no longer retain sodium the way you did when you were eating carbs. Review the Salt Thread and try some of the suggestions.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 08:54

BF:
Progress:

yes I figured most was water. I'll check out that link,thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 11:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ditto everything Rob wrote. 2 cups of broth (the cubes are fine) is a tasty way to get that salt.

Here's how to avoid some of the early side effects.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb#side-effects
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 11:39

BF:
Progress:

im not really eating for satiety as I am struggling to eat anything. For example, this morning I made a two egg omelette in oil and butter with cheese, bit only managed half, had other half for lunch, I included veggies in this. Most days I might have 3-4 streaky bacon rashers, 1 egg and slice tomato and sometimes no more than 60g mushrooms. Then lunch 1-2 sausages with spinach, dressing etc and thats pretty much it. Now when I say I struggle I mean 'really' struggle eating this. Guess its working, however I feel terrible (bowel movements all fine)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 12:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Get your salt, and Janet's suggestion of broth worked really well for me.

It sounds like you are eating to satiety even though it may be less than the quantity you used to eat normally. If you're not hungry, don't force it. If you are, eat to satiety. Sometimes the differences in quantity in the beginning are confusing, but it sounds like your body's signals are accurate. Not completely sure what you mean by "struggle." Is it that you don't like the type of food, or that you eat but can't eat to quantity. If you don't care for the type of food, there are many low carb options that can be substituted. If you're just experiencing fullness, don't worry, it will adjust over time, and you may find you're satisfied with less by eating this way.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 12:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

12 days in is an average time to have switched over from being a sugar-burner to a fat-burner, which means you are using your own body fat stores for energy, or your "on-board pantry" as Dr. Westman calls it (that's a good thing!) If you only eat one meal a day for a while that is OK, many go through a period with little hunger and then your appetite will adjust as Rob wrote.
Are you on any diuretics? or other blood pressure or blood sugar medications which may need adjusting? Are you drinking enough water to keep hydrated? In addition to the extra salt, you may need extra water. Are you in the UK where there is a "heat wave"? Think of other reasons beside the change in diet as well. All the best,
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 13:14

BF:
Progress:

Hi, ok great that helps, thankyou!
No not on any medication for anything and no fine ( actually I have quite low no) and no diabetes etc. I’m 35
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 20:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 294/220/190 Female 6’1 feet
BF:
Progress:

Get some Powerade Zero! I lost 25 pounds my first two weeks and felt just like you. One Powerade Zero a day fixed me. Within another two weeks I was feeling great and only drank about three a week.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 21:27

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I make good use of low salt, pink salt, magnesium and calcium, and water. Puts all the minerals back in balance.