Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-15, 08:34

Plan: non specific
Stats: 122/122/112 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie family here

Hi, my name is Gail, I'm 49. My partner Mick is 48 and my son Jack is 10. None of us have a great deal of weight to lose but we would all be better losing a few pounds.
I've spent the last week or so doing lots of reading and trying to think of foods Jack might eat. He's impressed with bacon but not good on roast meat and veg.
I'll have to make packed lunches for him too.
I'm thinking of this as a healthy lifestyle change rather than just a diet. For years I have had reactive hypoglycaemia and although I knew it was low blood sugar I never really understood the true cause. I'm also tired most of the time but there are so many things I want to do but don't have the energy for.
I work 3 hours a day, 5 days a week as a cleaner in a sheltered housing complex for the elderly.
Our diet starts tomorrow. I have some chocolate pancakes in the freezer for breakfast and I've made some breakfast bars in case I get hungry at work during the morning.
I am a little nervous of the low carb flu tho as my job is fairly active.
I've cleared out my cupboards and replaced all the carbs with almond and coconut flour and protein powder etc so I can't cheat.
My boss (Debbie) is also starting a diet but is going to slimming world as she also eats like a five year old and doesn't like veg! Her words not mine 😕.
Her weight is beginning to cause her problems. She's also put her husband and 21 year old son on low carb. They have quite a lot to lose between them.
2 Of the residents where I work are also starting a diet tomorrow so we are all having a weigh in tonight. These two have already said they won't give up alcohol though so that might be interesting.
I'm really looking forward to doing this and hoping I can get my energy levels back.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-15, 11:17

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Hi and welcome to the site. I think the more you limit yourself to eating fats, proteins, and vegetables, the more energy you will have. It's a lighter way to go for your body...it can use all that stuff, and not make you dull like starchy carbs are known to do. I usually only have 1-2 days of LC flu (numerous restarts!)...just do the best you can.

Since you are so close to goal, I'd highly recommend you track everything you eat. I use the spark people nutrition tracker here. You'll have to sign up, but it's free. If you think you'll use this, watch this video showing how to use the tracker.

When I first started LCing, my boys were teens. They gobbled up all the LC recipes I tried out; even my picky eater ate almost everything. Have you looked at our recipe forum? Here's is a shortcut. I also have a bunch in my journal.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-15, 12:21

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Welcome, Gail. It sounds like you're set up for a successful start. LC really can be a healthy, delicious, and sustainable lifestyle. No reason to get bored with the food. See many recipes provided by Gonwtwindo in her journal First Post. Just click on the journal button at the lower right corner of her post.

For further reading, I highly recommend Gary Taubes's Why We Get Fat and what to do about it.. Although weight isn't your main concern, he explains a lot of the science and controversy pertaining to LC nutrition. Or you could just google him and watch some of his You-Tube lectures.

Best wishes.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-15, 13:52

Plan: non specific
Stats: 122/122/112 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

Well its day 3 now. On Wednesday night I was shattered. In fact I was almost asleep at lunchtime. I finally fell asleep at 7.30 pm ( not unusual) but this time I slept while 10 then went to bed and slept while 6.30 as I had yesterday off work.
Yesterday was a bad day but not entirely due to diet.
We had some jobs to do and everything was going wrong. On top of this I felt drained.
Then a strange thing happened, late afternoon but before tea I began to feel better.
Today I feel as though my general mood is much brighter although still not energetic I'm not exhausted like I was.
Tonight I cooked pizza. L C of course. My idea of diet food! Yum yum. Unfortunately it stuck to the greaseproof paper so we needed knives and forks but who cares? 😀
Tomorrow we are out for a buffet meal with friends so I'm taking a LC muffin for dessert.
I'll have to police my son with the sausage rolls tho 😁.
I'm cooking chilli for Sunday but leaving out the beans. I'll go have a look through the recipes above now as I'm a little short on ideas.