Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 00:21

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%
Cool Lowcarbing in southern California

...where there is a doughnut shop on every block!

And I looooove doughnuts! *pout*

I'm finally back to lowcarbing, after a hiatus of five years or so. At that time, I was following Protein Power. I liked it much better than Atkins because I got to include a few more carbs (berries in particular) from the start.

Now, I'm not really following anything. I started with induction, but I found a bunch of lowcarb bars (Atkins and others), and I don't think those are allowed during induction. In that regard, I've already cheated. *heh* I'm just finishing up Day 2, and have a had a few carb cravings, but not bad.

I plan on reading a few more books: The Schwarzbein Principle, The Go-Diet and "Secrets of Lowcarb Eating", which I've heard is really good. I also have Lyle McDonald's book, which I have yet to complete. The other diets out there don't really interest me. I just need to find my niche, my ideal combination of diets, based on what I can glean from the ones I respect. I feel a lot better about a claim if I see it from several people.

Aside from the fact that I really want to lose weight, this whole thing has become an experiment for an entirely different reason: my cholesterol. I don't know exactly what it is yet (had blood drawn yesterday), but in the past, I believe it has been in the 225-250 range (okay HDL, but nothing impressive). I'd like to see it go down, and I'm going to find out if eating lowcarb will have any effect.

I think this is a great site, and I'm glad that so many of the lowcarb diets are represented!

Other miscellaneous things about me...I'm 30, no kids (yet). I live in Orange County. I moved here about 2 1/2 years ago from Iowa. Grad student at CSUF (kinesiology). Looking for people to chat and hang out with. If you're in the area, let me know.

Suzanne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 07:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome back to LCing!

>>"...where there is a doughnut shop on every block!"

I'm in Canada, and I think we've got a donut shop for every 15 people.

If you're looking for people in your area, you might try the "local low-carbers and support groups" forum.

Enjoy!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 01:09

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%

"I'm in Canada, and I think we've got a donut shop for every 15 people."

Heh. I was rather surprised to find all the doughnuts shops when I moved here. I'm from the midwest, and there aren't nearly as many of them there.

Thanks for the advice about the "local" forums. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like many southern CA people check out that section...no replies yet.