Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, May-10-10, 16:14

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Here's another one: almond and anise seed. You could use either natural almond extract or almond flavored syrup.

Anise seed is not the same thing as either fennel seed or star anise. It's a tiny seed that looks a lot like celery seed. They use it to flavor biscochito (crumbly little cookies) in New Mexico, which is where I got the idea for this flavor combination. I used about 1/4 teaspoon of anise seed for one shake. Start there and then taste before adding more.

I use a high speed blender which obliterates seeds but you could just as well use a spice grinder or mortar and pestle before adding the seeds to the shake. Putting the anise seed in the regular blender isn't going to grind them up.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, May-10-10, 16:19

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
Well I'm only on day 9. I find I get hungry a lot. Did anyone discover how to make the shakes more filling! I'm ok with the basic strawberry, vanilla and chococlate flavoured powders I have

This is speculative, RC, but maybe you're sensitive to dairy and don't know it. Eating a food that you're sensitive to can leave you hungry an hour later. I'm using only eggwhite protein powder and it does not leave me hungry. The Eades' would have me use at least three scoops of protein per shake (nine+ per day), but I'm using only one per shake (three per day) and I'm not hungry.

Instead of cream, I'm using coconut milk.
  #108   ^
Old Wed, May-12-10, 04:50

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Thanks for the idea bike2work but I am 60 years old and I think other things would have happened to me before now to alert me to any dairly sensitivity. I am on week 3 now in which dairly is banned so maybe I'll notice if there are any changes.

I managed to make the shakes more filling in the end by adding double cream and a raw egg.

Good luck with the plan. I haven't had much luck so far. I am into week 3 and I've only managed to loose a couple of pounds.
  #109   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 08:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

I am thinking about ordering some flavorings as suggested earlier on here. Are there any updates, suggestions?

Thanks
  #110   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 20:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I've got some strawberry protein powder that tastes like crud. Even with lots of whipping cream. I found something that's kind of weird, but improves the flavour; green smoothies. A wet vegetable like a cucumber, a small tomato, and a handful of spinach or parsley, pulverised with the protein powder and whatever fat you want to add, and it's not so bad.
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 06:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

That sounds gross to me! I think of shakes as sweet. Maybe I just need to adjust MY thinking!