Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-07, 18:35

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 100 inches
BF:I wish I knew!
Progress: 85%
Default God told Adam and Eve to eat grains!

This is kind of a silly post but I just had to note that I read today in Genesis 1:29, God said, "I have provided all kinds of grain and all kinds of fruit for you to eat;"..... I TOTALLY thought that grain wasn't introduced to civilization until wayyyyy later, like supposedly the cavemen didn't eat it, etc..BUT, weren't Adam and Eve the first people? Also, I read a book called Clan of the Cave Bear, and it is researched down to the smallest detail, and it is about cave people, and they scavenged for and ate grains. And of course I KNOW some people do not believe in God or the Bible, etc., so no need to start any theological debates here
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-07, 19:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well cave man used to eat raw meat, so eating habits change. I wish someone who has read the Zone could comment abut this. I seem to recall the author talking about the origins of eating grains.

You know, there are so many diets out there and they all work, The challange is staying thin after losing weight. So whether its low carb or weight watchers, in the end you eat different food and still lose weight.

I eat everything now. Be it grain, dairy, meat...what have you. I just eat smaller portions. I've still maintain all the weight I lost in 1999.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 07:33

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Cave men and Genesis don't scan

You can't quote the cavemen and Genesis in the same breath. Cavemen are evolution; Genesis happened about 6000 years ago, give or take. 6000 years isn't that long at all.

God also pretty clearly said don't eat cheeseburgers a little farther along in the book, or shrimp, or pork rinds.

And even more clearly, he was against apples, which are a high carb fruit.

There are a number of "Biblical" diets floating around the world. They never looked like they would work for me.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 07:56

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Fatted calves were prized food, if you'll keep reading, and in first or second Peter God clearly says all foods are legal.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 08:19
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Weeeell... I think you could always blame this on a bad translation from the Aramaic.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 08:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The bible was written long after farming came about.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 09:42

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
You can't quote the cavemen and Genesis in the same breath. Cavemen are evolution; Genesis happened about 6000 years ago, give or take. 6000 years isn't that long at all.

God also pretty clearly said don't eat cheeseburgers a little farther along in the book, or shrimp, or pork rinds.

There are a number of "Biblical" diets floating around the world. They never looked like they would work for me.

Very true. According to Jews, the world was created about 6,0000 years ago, never mind cavemen. The bible (5 books of Moses, roughtly a quarter of the old Testement) was written by God. The rest of it is commentary, written by men. Of course, the New Testement is irrellivent. Anyway what God wrote was short and to the point. The lists of food you can't eat. Enjoy
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 09:45

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

there are several theologians from varying religious backgrounds that have indicated genesis is simply a parable. it's meant to be a story demonstrating man's transition from a hunter-gatherer society (in the "garden") to an agricultural one.

i suggest you go back and re-read "clan of the cave bear." the clan didn't JUST "scavenge for grains". they constantly hunted for meat... considering that hunting is a major plotline in the story, well described and pivotal to the story, i'm kind of surprised that you missed how much meat the clan actually ate.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 09:57

Plan: LC/IF and such
Stats: -/-/- Female 60 inches
BF:2 spare tires
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver

Hello.. I agree with a lot of what you said. I study my Bible almost daily. However, I don't remember there being anythingin there about the cheeseburgers and the apples. I am not trying to be funny nor disrespectful.. just curious and would love to see your referrences.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 10:00
Registered Member

Stats: 290/237.2/180 Male 69 inches
BF:Marcos
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphonyod
Hello.. I agree with a lot of what you said. I study my Bible almost daily. However, I don't remember there being anythingin there about the cheeseburgers and the apples. I am not trying to be funny nor disrespectful.. just curious and would love to see your referrences.

I am reasonably certain that the "Apple" reference is to the fruit from the Tree of Life, which is commonly thought of as an Apple.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 10:03

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

I believe we are supposed to eat in balance- whole foods, not over processed. They ate grains in the Bible but they were whole grains. God gave man everything to eat in Genesis 3:9, plants and animals.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 10:07

Plan: LC/IF and such
Stats: -/-/- Female 60 inches
BF:2 spare tires
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFOlkGR
I am reasonably certain that the "Apple" reference is to the fruit from the Tree of Life, which is commonly thought of as an Apple.

I figured that was what was meant.. but it may or may NOT have been an apple. That's kind of where I was going with it. It's not clearly stated.

I shouldn't and won't debate it all.. I think it is interesting how we look for excuses to eat this and that because so and so did.

For me.. Atkins works.. not because the Bible said so.. but because it took the cravings of the processed CRAP away from me. KWIM? That's just my two cents... for me.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 10:13

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
However, I don't remember there being anythingin there about the cheeseburgers and the apples.

Apples may be the fruit of the tree of knowledge, which Adam and Eve were forbidden to eat.

From this site
"On three separate occasions, the Torah (first five books of the old testament) tells us not to "boil a kid in its mother's milk." (Ex. 23:19; Ex. 34:26; Deut. 14:21)"

This is a prohibition on mixing meat and dairy. Therefore, no hamburgers.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 10:24

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Got it in one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
Apples may be the fruit of the tree of knowledge, which Adam and Eve were forbidden to eat.

From this site
"On three separate occasions, the Torah (first five books of the old testament) tells us not to "boil a kid in its mother's milk." (Ex. 23:19; Ex. 34:26; Deut. 14:21)"

This is a prohibition on mixing meat and dairy. Therefore, no hamburgers.

I think you mean cheeseburgers, but yes. Kosher cooking has separate dishes for milk and meat. And while the Bible may not explicitly mention an apple, it's pretty commonly understood that it was an apple. Whether it was today's apple is a lot more questionable, given that they're not a common fruit in that part of the world.

You get the Amish following the strictest read of the NT side of the book, and the Orthodox Jews on the OT, and there's an awful lot of the grocery store that becomes off limits.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 12:25

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

considering that humans, in our current form, have been around for over 250,000 years and religion has only been around for the last 10,000 years, i always thought it made far more sense to eat what our bodies evolved to eat rather than what a semi-historical, semi-philosophical, semi-legendary book told me to.