Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-04, 00:37

Plan: Protein Power/6WBM
Stats: 181.5/139/129 Female 66"
BF:55%/27.5%/22%
Progress: 81%
Smile Easy Breakfast Quiches a la South Beach

I was inspired by the Breakfast Mini Quiches in the South Beach Cookbook and modified the recipe to include my favorite veggie: broccoli. You could modify it, as well, for your preference. Here's my version:

16-oz package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1 carton egg substitute ("flavored" egg substitutes work well, too)
1/4 chopped red pepper
a sprinkle of salt
a sprinkle of shredded cheese (I use Asiago, because it's my favorite, but any cheese works just as well)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup standard size muffin/cupcake pan (not the mini muffin size) with foil cupcake liners, not paper. Give each foil liner a quick shot of Pam - this is important, or the quiches will stick.

Put the thawed broccoli in a glass bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes, then drain thoroughly. In the meantime, take 1/4 of a red pepper and dice or chop it. Sprinkle a little salt or salt substitute over the warm DRAINED broccoli and fill each of the 12 foil muffin cups. Pour egg substitute over each cup of broccoli, about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the top of each cup with the red pepper and with the cheese of your choice. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven about 20-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and ENJOY!! (Cool completely and store any leftovers in the refrigerator.)

Since this makes 12 and I usually have 2 every morning (removed from the foil cups and briefly reheated in the microwave), this recipe lasts almost a week. I store them in the refrigerator on a plate inside a large baggie - expect some condensation, even though you have cooled them completely before storing.

I have done the calorie/carb/fat/protein count on this by reading the labels. I will happily provide this info if anyone wants it -- and as soon as I can find it in my holiday-blitzed kitchen!

Hope you like it!
Michelle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 13:25

Plan: south beach
Stats: 224/219.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I am interested in the breakdown, if you can find.
Thanks so much!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 13:28
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Given that eggs are wonderful, can you explain why this recipe uses egg "substitutes"? Is there something unique about the substitute that makes it work better?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 14:00

Plan: Protein Power/6WBM
Stats: 181.5/139/129 Female 66"
BF:55%/27.5%/22%
Progress: 81%
Default Reason for Egg Substitute

You can certainly use real eggs! The only reason I use egg substitute is because I find it easier to pour it directly out of the container into the individual muffin cups. As I recall, the nutritional value is exactly the same as real eggs, but I prefer the convenience. Plus, if you get liquid eggs, you can get them with additional seasonings or ingredients and it's just a time-saver for me.

But by all means, use real eggs if you prefer!

Sorry - I haven't found the nutritional breakdown yet, but I promise to post it when I do. Thanks for being patient.

Hope this helps
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 16:53
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Actually if you could just tell us how many eggs "a carton of egg substitute" makes I think I can work out the numbers and post them here. :-)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 11:02

Plan: Atkins -- high fat
Stats: 172/154/136 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 50%

One cup of EggBeaters is equal to 8 whole eggs. (I'm guessing this measurement to be true of any brand of the egg substitutes.)