Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/155/138 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Frustrated Turtle

Well this turtle has been fighting tooth and claw to start losing weight. I am experiencing a LOT of water weight gain, yet I drink a LOT of water. I make sure to drink the recommended daily amount of 64 oz PLUS an additional 55 - 65 oz during and after my spinning classes. On days where I do not do spin class, I drink an additional 50 oz. I was put on Lasix 20 mg, but no luck. The dosage was increased but I am still carting around 15 pounds of fluid.

I have gone to a cardiologist, endocrinologist, gynocologist, and to the doctor/surgeon who removed my gall bladder a few months ago. They all say that my blood tests are normal, thyroid is normal, liver is normal, and kidneys are normal. If I hear normal again, I will scream.

Strange that this weight exploded after the gall bladder removal. I am going to an Internal Medicine doctor in a few days and HOPEFULLY he will have some answers to this mystery.

Normally, even if I am not working out, I weight about 148lbs. I carry a lot of natural muscle on me so I always look smaller than what I weigh. These past months I have looked like a bloated tick.

Now I work out 3-4 times a week busting my booty in the one hour spinning classes. I eat low carb, and watch what I eat, as usual. My diet hasnt changed much for the past year.

So now I am a turtle. A year ago I was the rabbit. When will this end?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 21:22

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%

Hi, I don't have any advice for you, I just wanted to offer sympathy as a fellow frustrated turtle. I also had all of the blood tests done that found nothing, and also carry more muscle on my frame than most people.

One thing you may ask about, I take spironolactone (100mg daily) as an anti-androgen to prevent acne, but it also happens to be a diuretic. It is very similar to the birth control pill Yasmin, which has the same diuretic effect and is said to prevent the normal water-weight gain associated with the pill and TOM in general. If you're not currently on the Pill, maybe you can ask your doc about it? Or ask about switching if you are?

Last edited by Sango : Wed, Aug-06-03 at 21:23.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 18:41

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%

Boy do I have advice for you! Oh my!

First of all, the DANDR is NOT the same as the original diet revolution. This new WOE has totally stalled me. There were never this amount of veggies in induction and the weight just melted off. I was wondering why I haven't lost over 7lbs. in almost 3 months. It's this new diet--it certainly ain't Atkins.

The original plan for 2 week induction consists of 1/2 cup of loosely packed salad veggies listed in his book. You can eat all of the meat you desire until satisfied. Water is not restricted or forced and alcohol consumption is totally delayed until you are in Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL).

This WOE has gone commercial and it really ticks me off. I have started the original plan today and am on my way back to slimness forever this time. I listened to naysayser and a nutritionist who is anti-Atkins and that's how I failed. Never again.

If you don't have the original 1972 version of Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution, then run, don't walk to your nearest bookstore and buy it.

Stay away from the frankenfoods, they are loaded with sugar alcohols that stall, stall, stall you. All of these veggies 2 cups raw and 1 cup cooked is way to many for induction. Dr. A recommends two 1/2 cup loosely packed greens and a variety of dressings at lunch and dinner.

He made a big mistake when he went corporate. BTW, "his" book Dr. Atkins' NEW Diet Revolution was written by his staffers....NOT HIM.

I look forward to your new post and your new weight loss. Caio.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 18:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/155/138 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Starting to roll

Thanks for the posting Linda Love. You are probably right about the changes in the Atkin's plan. I keep my carb levels very low and have upped the frquency of my workouts. I also wear a heart monitor during my spin classes, so I can make sure to stay at an aerobic rate. This fine tunes the rate of fat burn.

I have lost 10 pounds, and am getting firmer. The muscle tone is helping a lot. I do spin classes every day that I can. In otherwords if I am going to go somewhere where I will pass by the gym, I make time to stop in and go to a class. Some weeks I can go more frequently than others but the minimum is five times a week. This week I have been feeling extra brave and energetic. I have done a one hour spin class once a day, everyday since Saturday. My goal is to continue into the weekend. Wish me luck!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 19:44

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%

I'm so happy for you, congrats. Wow, spinning, that takes a lot of stamina. I'll be glad when my weight loss kicks in.

Keep me posted on your success!