Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 01:21

Plan: no sugar, 20-30 carbs/day
Stats: 205/202/145 Female 65 cms
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Red Meat linked to Diabetes

My husband ran upstairs last night to tell me he was watching a documentary on how eating red meat significantly increases the risk of diabetes. Imagine my annoyance at hearing this news after eating a gorgeous 200g hamburger for dinner on my NSLC diet.

This morning, I find this Chinese study that was done:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...70905134506.htm

Note that I find NOTHING that indicates a relation to eating the higher intakes of red meats and a NSLC diet. It appears the research has not yet been done.

Of course I will follow up with a full blood test in another month with my doctor to ensure that my higher/almost diabetes glucides have decreased.

In the meantime, does anyone have more information about the relation to NSLC diet with increased red meat intake to diabetes?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 02:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This is an epidemiological study that used a food frequency questionare once or possibly three times (recall bias) over a 20 year period in one urbanized island nation. So many limitations to making any general conclusion from it, hard to know where to start.

Quote:
The Singapore Chinese Health Study is a population-based cohort study that recruited 63,257 Chinese adults aged 45–74 years from 1993 to 1998. Usual diet was evaluated using a validated 165-item semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire at recruitment. Physician-diagnosed T2D was self-reported during 2 follow-up interviews in 1999–2004 and 2006–2010.

If the documentary your DH was watching was "What the Health" we have a good thread about it here http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477654
Suggest reading Robb Wolf's comments (he covers the limitations of cohort studies and takes down a similar US study on red meat and diabetes) and a doctor's more fun video response.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Sep-09-17 at 03:00.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 05:33

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The study is in Singapore. One thing that red meat probably also associates with there is a Westernized diet and maybe lifestyle. Have they corrected for McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 08:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Also, there's a lot of Red Meat propaganda going around. Particularly notable when I have yet to hear an explanation of why it is so much worse than a dry, non-fat, chicken breast that doesn't reference the now-debunked Lipid Hypothesis.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 01:56

Plan: no sugar, 20-30 carbs/day
Stats: 205/202/145 Female 65 cms
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thank you all for your comments.

Indeed, the show was What the Health.

I feel there is so much negative feedback about NSLC diets and I am always having to defend myself. I'm only three weeks into the diet, but it is working for weight loss and I feel great!

I plan to do a full blood analysis at 2 months - this, I hope, will be the medical proof my doctor needs. And, by then, I hope that the weight-loss results will speak to others who are so sceptical.

Thank you again.
Judy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 02:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You're welcome.
Hang out on this forum and you will never have to defend your choice to eat healthy, low carb real foods.
There is a great amount of information here on research and media stories, buddy groups, and suggested books to help you find the plan that works for you and explain the reasons why. Read back through the Introduce forum and you will find favorite books and websites. All the best
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 13:58

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Janet, you're the best!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 18:13

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
I plan to do a full blood analysis at 2 months - this, I hope, will be the medical proof my doctor needs.

Some people have said lipid/cholesterol levels may be higher while actively losing weight because fat and stuff is being released into the blood stream for fuel. If true, just something to be aware of if numbers from test look high. I personally don't care what my doctor thinks about what I eat. I'm the one who has to take the consequences, not her, so I do whatever I think is best. That might be harder to do for someone under regular treatment for a medical condition, which I'm not. Also isn't it strange how other people seem to think it's somehow their business to tell us what to eat? If they have no (interest in) low carb, let them eat cake. While I pass and stay healthy.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 04:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/218.2/200 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

This is just another politicized issue with no scientific support as usual.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 06:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Corporate America wants us to eat processed, not real, foods. They make more money that way.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 08:11

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Some people have said lipid/cholesterol levels may be higher while actively losing weight because fat and stuff is being released into the blood stream for fuel. If true, just something to be aware of if numbers from test look high. I personally don't care what my doctor thinks about what I eat. I'm the one who has to take the consequences, not her, so I do whatever I think is best. That might be harder to do for someone under regular treatment for a medical condition, which I'm not. Also isn't it strange how other people seem to think it's somehow their business to tell us what to eat? If they have no (interest in) low carb, let them eat cake. While I pass and stay healthy.

I am the same. I have a PCP and a Cardiologist that I see regularly. Neither of them has ever mentioned "diet" to me one way or another and they never mention my weight. My cardiologist only stresses exercise. One time his nurse told me to "watch your fats." So I watch them go into my mouth!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 13:58
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Once had a cardiologist/surgeon wife tell me "that Taco salad will give you a heart attack!"
I replied "well, I don't eat the tortilla bowl."