Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 13:36

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%
Default I feel horrible!

All day, I have felt horrible with my blood sugar being double it was yesterday for no reason (I have not eaten today). I have tested a number of times today as I feel sick to my stomach and very jittery/nervous. The meter(s) (I actually went out and bought another one just in case mine was broken) states that my BS is between 150-180 (Since going on Metformin, my BS typicall runs in the 80s-90s). Are these normal symptoms of higher BS? What the heck is going on? I ate 10 chocolate chips and three onion rings 24 hours ago and as I said, I have not eaten since! Jill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 16:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Jill, are you feeling queesy because you're coming down with a bug or because of what you ate? Either way, blood sugars can climb dramatically even when you haven't eaten due to gluconeogenesis in the liver. The answer to that isn't to continue fasting, but to eat to turn off that whole process. Have you continued to take your medication even when not eating?
Blood sugars can also be elevated when you are sick with a viral infection, stomach bug or cold.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 19:49

Plan: Bernstein-ish
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 5'0"
BF:Started 1/5/08
Progress: 100%

Awwwww, sorry you feel so bad. I probably won't make you feel better but coincidentally I have felt lousy for a couple of days myself - and my sugars have been higher than they should be. Like you I tested with 2 different meters and they both show high. Last night I thought I had what they call 'delayed stomach emptying' which I guess is gastroporesis (?), and was sort of nauseated with that. Turns out my gallbladder had a surprise for me later on in the night, woke me with a touch of colic. Not the severe kind, just enough to get my attention. And I hadn't eaten anything weird, or even a lot of anything that day either. But I was STARVED all day, no kidding, and i was trying to fight that empty feeling. Craving things and complaining to the board that I had all these cravings. Geez, I shoulda see something coming........

So I am thinking that anything to do with the stomach/digestion/ bug or something, can indeed raise blood sugar like Lisa said above. I'm eating very light and sort of bland today, giving it another day before I get too concerned. Maybe this will pass and my sugar will return to normal, hope so. Maybe yours will too - hope you feel better.

(Just thought a kindred miserable soul would give you some company, lol)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 21:19
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Well if misery loves company, let me join the group. By coincidence, I was about to make the same kind of post. I don't know what in the world is going on with my blood sugars, which had been steadily ranging in the mid 90's to mid 100's since I went off of insulin about 5 weeks ago. They've been stupid high for days, and getting higher, despite my eating VLC trying to get them down.

I'm not sick, no infection going on that I'm aware of, haven't forgot to take my metformin (in fact, I've upped the dose by 500mg yesterday and today) no TOM.

I first noticed them a little high Saturday night (148 at bedtime), and figured it was hidden carbs eating out at a restaurant. So I basically ate meat and egg Sunday and Monday, which should have made them plummet, but today they were higher than I've seen in a year, 191 when I woke up and 159 right now.
I'm clueless.

I know that's not helpful, Jill. Hope we all figure out what's going on.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 21:46
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Me, four.

Like MizKitty, I'm not sick, have no known infection, and it's not TOM. But, for the past 3 days my waking blood sugar has been in the 170s (as opposed to the 100s). My blood sugar is currently 138, even though I haven't eaten in 4 hours, which would normally put it in the 90s. I have no idea what has caused this. I eaten about 30 g carbs per day and haven't even eaten anything that would have had hidden carbs.

I hope that you are feeling better soon, Jill and Rose.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 06:28

This is all just too weird! But I am almost convinced that I am fighting something off, but I can't figure out what. I feel sluggish, almost feverish (though I have no fever) and a little achy today. Sometimes around this time of year my allergies start to kick in though, that could be it. The trees around here are starting to put out pollen, that was in the news last night. I wonder if being sensitive to that sort of thing just challenges the immune system and affects blood sugar? This is the first Spring season that I have known I am diabetic so I have nothing to go on other than a nagging sense of something being 'off'. Well, on with the Benadryl I guess, I don't know what else to do.

I did discover something kind of interesting though, during this little episode, and whether it is valid I don't know. First, in case you don't know this, taking Pepto Bismol turns the stool black. That is a little scary if one doesn't realize that! Anyway, the night before last, when I was feeling crummy with the gallbladder thing, I took 2 tabs of Pepto. It sort of helped I think. Anyway, forgot about it until this morning, when I discovered that it had taken like 36 hours for that stuff to pass thru my system! So taking a couple tabs of Pepto is a good way to find out how efficient your 'recycling system' is -LOL!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 07:41

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Angry

Well we all have learned you must eat.

Fasting for too long will trigger higher BG.

We have also learned that illness and stress can raise blood sugars.

Keep to your routine.

Make sure you are taking your Metformin ER; it does help with the liver.

Lets see what happens after a few days.

Blood pressure goes up too when you are ill or about to come down with something.

I hope everything works out for you.

Ralph
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 07:51

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:

Hi all,

It seems odd (to me) to attribute feeling ill to a blood sugar below 200. I just went through my premenstrual week and despite low carbing and raising my basal by 30 percent (!) and doubling my carb/ insulin ratio, I still saw bgs in the upper 200s. I did not feel ill- and indeed I rarely feel ill from a blood sugar below 250, unless I have not been receiving insulin for some reason. Perhaps it is the meds you are on? 150-180 may not be ideal, but it's not terrible, either.
V.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 05:14

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-effect
Hi all,

It seems odd (to me) to attribute feeling ill to a blood sugar below 200. I just went through my premenstrual week and despite low carbing and raising my basal by 30 percent (!) and doubling my carb/ insulin ratio, I still saw bgs in the upper 200s. I did not feel ill- and indeed I rarely feel ill from a blood sugar below 250, unless I have not been receiving insulin for some reason. Perhaps it is the meds you are on? 150-180 may not be ideal, but it's not terrible, either.
V.

Wow!

Are you low carbing? 6-12-12 or at least below 60?

You are definitely very thin from your weight stats!

Have you also tried using fast acting insulin such as Novolog to help bring those numbers down.

I use both basal insulin and fast acting insuling to bring my numbers down.

Are you T1 or T2?

I know lots of questions.

I also agree that I wasn't feeling ill with numbers above 300, but we all know that long term that definitely brings on serious damage.

Best wishes,

Ralph
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 07:23

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%

I've been having the same kind of week! I've also been having a lot of congestion, cough, and vertigo from a stuffed up ear.

But I know the REAL reason my bgs are up. I'm supposed to go in for an every-six-month A1c test on Monday.

It NEVER fails. Bgs are always horrible the week before the test, and that always pushes up the result. I just know I'm going to be at 5.7% again despite months of really, really good control.

My A1c is always higher than would be predicted from my testing--I found some research that found this is common and that people are consistent in it. If you are .7% higher than you expect based on a lot of testing, you will almost always be that much higher on another test.

But dang! I've seen a couple readings this week I hadn't seen in a LONG time. What a lousy time for my spring cold.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 07:32
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose1942
Sometimes around this time of year my allergies start to kick in though, that could be it. The trees around here are starting to put out pollen, that was in the news last night. I wonder if being sensitive to that sort of thing just challenges the immune system and affects blood sugar?

I'm beginning to suspect that my own blood sugar rise (and it's dropped a little but is still high) is due to allergies. Most years, I am not noticeably affected by pollen. However, there is an exceptional amount of it this year and in the past day I've begun to get a slight watery eyes and nose.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 08:12
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I've never known myself to be an allergy or hay fever sufferer, but the last few evenings, I have felt sneezy, and it hasn't manifested into a cold, so maybe it is unusually high pollen?
Is that a known cause of raising bloodsugars for diabetics?
If it is, it's a new one to me!

I saw better numbers yesterday, Wake 138
Right before dinner 99
2 hr PP 114, and this morning's FBG was a nearing-normal 113.
But I only ate 1000 calories and 7 net carbs yesterday to get there.

Hope those of you feeling under the weather get well soon.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 08:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinbr
Wow!

Are you low carbing? 6-12-12 or at least below 60?

You are definitely very thin from your weight stats!

Have you also tried using fast acting insulin such as Novolog to help bring those numbers down.

I use both basal insulin and fast acting insuling to bring my numbers down.

Are you T1 or T2?

I know lots of questions.

I also agree that I wasn't feeling ill with numbers above 300, but we all know that long term that definitely brings on serious damage.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Why wow? Yes, I low carb- I do 12-10-8, though sometimes I do carb count and use a sliding scale. I am on an insulin pump, so my fast acting is both my basal and meal bolus. My numbers are back down, but when I am premenstrual, it doesn't really matter if I'm low carbing- I'm running high. I know that running high leads to complications, but sometimes it can't be helped!

V.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 11:02

MizKitty, I have no proof that allergies raise blood sugar, I was just guessing because I personally seem to see a connection. Allergies do tend to challenge the immune system, mine anyway - and that raises blood sugars I guess. Maybe I am just clutching at straws though. This is the first real allergy season that I have known that I am diabetic, and I am on the hunt for anything at all that screws me up LOL.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 11:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottadata
I've been having the same kind of week! I've also been having a lot of congestion, cough, and vertigo from a stuffed up ear.

But I know the REAL reason my bgs are up. I'm supposed to go in for an every-six-month A1c test on Monday.

It NEVER fails. Bgs are always horrible the week before the test, and that always pushes up the result. I just know I'm going to be at 5.7% again despite months of really, really good control.

My A1c is always higher than would be predicted from my testing--I found some research that found this is common and that people are consistent in it. If you are .7% higher than you expect based on a lot of testing, you will almost always be that much higher on another test.

But dang! I've seen a couple readings this week I hadn't seen in a LONG time. What a lousy time for my spring cold.

Why would a %5.7 be a bad A1C? Sounds good to me!
(I hope you are feeling better!)