Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-09, 05:45

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Exclamation

Would you two stop!

(cajunboy and hutchinson)

The chance for toxicity is extremely rare, but it is there.

This is why you test periodically.

Once I have my dose where it needs to be to have a good optimum blood serum level somewhere between 60-90ng/ml (and the closer to 90 the better), I will probably just test twice a year or maybe eventually once a year.

I am taking 16000 iu's now in the hopes of getting my serum blood level up to the 60-90 range.

At 8000iu's it didn't get there.

Also, we are talking about Vitamin D3 folks;

NOT VITAMIN D2. It is Vitamin D3 where we get all the benefits.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-09, 05:51

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Ralph,

how much sunshine do you get each day?

If it wasn't so dang hot, or if I lived near a beach where there's a breeze, I'd get a lot more, but I'm trying to get at least 30 minutes a day, but rarely do more than an hour lately

Ron
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-09, 07:33

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"Would you two stop!

(cajunboy and hutchinson)"
Ralph
You forgot to include me.
I agree with you,despite all the links,that there is a slight chance for vitamin D toxicity.I would think,since D is fat
soluble,that people on a very low fat diet,might be more
susceptible if they take very large amounts of D3.
Oh,well...
Eddie
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-09, 12:52

Plan: dr. bernstein diabetic
Stats: 157.5/153.5/140 Female 61"
BF:
Progress:

I live in Scotland where we don't get much sun. I'm on lat 56, same as Churchill in Canada I think.Should we take vit D all year round?
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-09, 13:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffydaff
I live in Scotland where we don't get much sun. I'm on lat 56, same as Churchill in Canada I think.Should we take vit D all year round?

Definitely. And get your blood tested for D3 levels.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 02:48
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
First you need to raise your 25(OH)D status to around 55ng/ml and that will take roughly 1000iu for each 25lbs you weigh +100iu/d for each extra 2.5lbs. If you take that amount DAILY for 3 months and then get a
$40 Grassrootshealth D Action postal 25(OH)D test you will then know if you have achieved the level associated with least chronic disease incidence.

By that time there will no longer be any chance to get vitamin D3 from sunlight in Scotland. let alone sufficient to meet your total daily needs rather than just the 1000iu that calculator provides an estimate for so it would be worth keeping on at that rate until the end of April, then if you are able to get regular near full body midday sun exposure in Scotland you MAY want to reduce your daily supplement intake by 2000iu/d over the summer months. But it isn't essential. It is far better to have a stable high 25(OH)D level than one that swings from high to low.
Among other things Vitamin D is used for signalling in the body so lots of regulating mechanisms are dependent on a steady availability of D3 and need to adjust their response to the current 25(OH)D level. So there can be, if your status changes rapidly, an adjustment period, in which the fine tuning of other systems (such as immune function) catches up. An example of this is when people go away for a winter sun holiday, lay on the beach all week (thus raising 25(OH)D rapidly) only to catch an infection on the flight home (because their immune system is still disregulated by the sudden change) or a couple of months after getting home as their 25(OH)D drops fast with resulting further disregulation of the immune system.

I've got the full text (a non copyright prepublication version) of this Vieth paper How to Optimize Vitamin D Supplementation to Prevent Cancer, Based on Cellular Adaptation and Hydroxylase Enzymology REINHOLD VIETH explaining this in more scientific terms if anyone wants to go into it in more detail PM your email and I'll attach a PDF copy.

But the take home message is to try to keep your 25(OH)D both high and stable. So if you are planning a tropical winter sun break, use D3 supplements before and after, but not while you are sunbathing during the tropical winter sun holiday . That way you will smooth out the height and depth of peaks and troughs of 25(OH)D and minimize the periods of imbalance in immune fuction as the system plays catchup with rapidly changing D3 status.

The Grassrootshealth trial is for 5 yrs and you can get tested twice yearly if you want. You'll probably know after a couple of tests how your body responds to D3 and be better able to see what intake is necessary for you living in Scotland. But whereever you live there is no risk accruing to those who use less than 10,000iu/daily/D3 EVEN in the presence of ample sunshine.

If you have any doubts whatsoever read the evidence here.
Vitamin D and Cancer Mini-Symposium: The Risk of Additional Vitamin D Reinhold Vieth

Last edited by Hutchinson : Sat, Aug-29-09 at 02:57.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 04:26

BF:
Progress:
Talking

Ok thank you. I have been tested and she said my levels were "fine". I asked what fine was, and she said 52. So now I want the husband tested as he is diabetic & has heart disease and pernicious anaemia.
Re full body sun exposure in summer in Scotland - there would be more chance of getting pneumonia
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 04:37

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I use the drops. The D3 is suspended in coconut oil. Another Carlson's product.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 07:22

BF:

Quote:
Ok thank you. I have been tested and she said my levels were "fine". I asked what fine was, and she said 52. So now I want the husband tested as he is diabetic & has heart disease and pernicious anaemia.
Re full body sun exposure in summer in Scotland - there would be more chance of getting pneumonia

Hello,

I hope your husband is a member of trackyourplaque. This site will help him tremendously of gaining control of the heart disease and doing his very best to avert a cardiac event.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 07:24

BF:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
First you need to raise your 25(OH)D status to around 55ng/ml and that will take roughly 1000iu for each 25lbs you weigh +100iu/d for each extra 2.5lbs. If you take that amount DAILY for 3 months and then get a
$40 Grassrootshealth D Action postal 25(OH)D test you will then know if you have achieved the level associated with least chronic disease incidence.

By that time there will no longer be any chance to get vitamin D3 from sunlight in Scotland. let alone sufficient to meet your total daily needs rather than just the 1000iu that calculator provides an estimate for so it would be worth keeping on at that rate until the end of April, then if you are able to get regular near full body midday sun exposure in Scotland you MAY want to reduce your daily supplement intake by 2000iu/d over the summer months. But it isn't essential. It is far better to have a stable high 25(OH)D level than one that swings from high to low.
Among other things Vitamin D is used for signalling in the body so lots of regulating mechanisms are dependent on a steady availability of D3 and need to adjust their response to the current 25(OH)D level. So there can be, if your status changes rapidly, an adjustment period, in which the fine tuning of other systems (such as immune function) catches up. An example of this is when people go away for a winter sun holiday, lay on the beach all week (thus raising 25(OH)D rapidly) only to catch an infection on the flight home (because their immune system is still disregulated by the sudden change) or a couple of months after getting home as their 25(OH)D drops fast with resulting further disregulation of the immune system.

I've got the full text (a non copyright prepublication version) of this Vieth paper How to Optimize Vitamin D Supplementation to Prevent Cancer, Based on Cellular Adaptation and Hydroxylase Enzymology REINHOLD VIETH explaining this in more scientific terms if anyone wants to go into it in more detail PM your email and I'll attach a PDF copy.

But the take home message is to try to keep your 25(OH)D both high and stable. So if you are planning a tropical winter sun break, use D3 supplements before and after, but not while you are sunbathing during the tropical winter sun holiday . That way you will smooth out the height and depth of peaks and troughs of 25(OH)D and minimize the periods of imbalance in immune fuction as the system plays catchup with rapidly changing D3 status.

The Grassrootshealth trial is for 5 yrs and you can get tested twice yearly if you want. You'll probably know after a couple of tests how your body responds to D3 and be better able to see what intake is necessary for you living in Scotland. But whereever you live there is no risk accruing to those who use less than 10,000iu/daily/D3 EVEN in the presence of ample sunshine.

If you have any doubts whatsoever read the evidence here.
Vitamin D and Cancer Mini-Symposium: The Risk of Additional Vitamin D Reinhold Vieth

Hello,

Great information!

I do not get enough sunlight even in the summer here on Long Island, NY.
Therefore, I need good supplementation. Once I achieve more optimum levels I will consider when to back off on Vitamin D3 during the summer. I usually wear a T-shirt even when I am pool side in my backyard. My pool is in mostly shade too!

I need to do some tree canopy trimming; well not me but a good tree service.

Thanks,

Ralph
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-09, 02:42
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
I am afraid that for Scotland a level of 52nmol/l is typical but NOT FINE.

This chart shows average levels for North of England and you will see that adults range from around 35nmol/l at the end of Winter to around 75nmol/l at the end of summer, so your 52nmol/l is the typical average UK adult level.

To convert to the USA measure ng/mL (that the Grassrootshealth D Action results come as) you have to divide by 2.5 so your 52nmol/l becomes 20.8ng/ml and the ideal is 55ng/ml and for people with an inflammatory condition ie celiac, diabetes, heart disease risk, fighting cancer then 60~70ng/ml would give them a greater reserve of 25(OH)D and stored Vitamin D3 in fat/muscle tissue to draw on as needed.

To get from 20 to 55 requires an extra 35ng
for people without a current chronic inflammatory condition roughly 1000iu/daily extra D3 raises status 10ng/mL so an extra 3500iu/daily should suffice during the summer but for winter use (from September through to March) you will NOT be getting any vitamin D3 from sunlight so the whole 55ng has to come from supplements (only roughly 500iu/d from food sources and that's if you eat oily fish regularly, our milk is NOT vit d fortified) so between 5000iu~6000iu will be required from Sept to March.

People with underlying inflammatory levels may need 2000iu/daily to raise status 10ng/ml, if that's the case then maybe 7000iu/daily will be required.

David Mendosa has an interesting recent post on Vitamin D diabetes

If you are new to learning about the other roles of Vitamin D (apart from bone health) then Nephropal is making great efforts to produce clear, simple descriptions as possible for very complex intricate systems.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Sun, Aug-30-09 at 02:49.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-09, 07:29

BF:
Progress:
Talking

ok, so we can both afford to take more vitD then, I will get onto this. Our local doctors are very good at saying test results are "fine" but they don't ever give you numbers. I'm just glad I asked this time.
Re trackyourplaque, I haven't heard of that. The husband has had 3 heart attacks in the last 5 years, all minor. I'm just trying my hardest to stop number 4 !
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-09, 14:48

BF:

Quote:
ok, so we can both afford to take more vitD then, I will get onto this. Our local doctors are very good at saying test results are "fine" but they don't ever give you numbers. I'm just glad I asked this time.
Re trackyourplaque, I haven't heard of that. The husband has had 3 heart attacks in the last 5 years, all minor. I'm just trying my hardest to stop number 4 !

www.trackyourplaque.com

This is a site run by a cardiologist, Dr. Davis, who is working with 2000 or more patients trying to prevent MI events and to stop/reverse the progression of plaque.

Take some time to look over the site. Lots of people there, including me, following the regimen and getting good results. We aren't waiting for our arteries to completely clog and we are doing something now to "condition" what plaque we have to be less of a threat and also finding ways to actually reduce the amount of plaque in our arteries. Many people have slowed the progression of plaque, stopped it and several have reversed it.

If you do nothing and you have plaque in your arteries, Dr. Davis will tell you that it can grow at a rate of 30% per year.

But, please don't let my very brief description here lead you one way or the other. Do take the time to view the site, perhaps join for a few months and learn.

Secondly, if you do nothing else buy Dr. Davis's book , which is available on Amazon. the title is "Track Your Plaque".

Best wishes,

Ralph