Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182

See this study

Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men

Whoa,
You forgot that the study was conducted ON HEALTHY MEN, not diabetics. I wish you would take diabetes more seriously, and stop giving advices. So, please, keep your posts to War Zone and Media, this will give you enough room for debates without causing any damage to diabetics.There are ppl on this forum who are on meds and/or insulin, and taking your advice can put them in life threatening situations.

Last edited by dina1957 : Mon, Dec-04-06 at 23:34.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 21:42

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

Dina: There seem to be several of us diabetics who are seeing fantastic results by doing the fast based on some threads in Protein Power and Dr. Bernstein's forum. I hit a nice 84, down from 95, and stayed there for several days (before I started eating too much again). I did not have spikes or hypo episodes either.

I found out about IF in Dr. Eade's blog and he didn't seem to think it was a problem in general for diabetics or even hypoglycemics. People can read the information and decide for themselves what to do.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 21:49

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
posted by: Whoa182
No it didn't make you a diabetic, absolutely no way. Fasting for 20-24 produces significant beneficial metabolic changes.

If you're correct, then me and thousands of other diabetics who exercised on empty stomachs and saw a rise in our BG must all be dreaming and your referenced study is the "It" answer for all of us.....

If you're in med school, does that mean you're now dispensing medical advice without a license? There are enough doctors giving diabetics bad advice. I think if you're here, you should learn from our experiences and let that guide you in your education. If you listen hard enough to what we're saying, you could be the "One" that might find a cure for diabetes. Diabetes is very complicated and very difficult to control and there is much misinformation out there. Someone sharing an experience at this web site is way different than your making a statement such as "absolutely no way" based on a couple of books you read. Let me guess, your GPA is about 2.5....

Cajunboy47
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 22:22

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

I opened a new thread on Bernstein - diabete, QNs from soneone on the border.

Aunt Jane - res Paleo: bread, dairy, and fruit. I am a very light consumer of all three of those foods. And almost all bread is a low carb (12 gr./slice) once a day; maybe a little cheese; and sometimes an apple after a heavy workout, usually not, I do make my own no sugar jam out of berries/sour cherries I grow. By the way I also live in Western Washington.

Lisa N - Thanks for the response, I am aware of other causes of retinopathy (but didn't know exactly what they were), but have been advised to assume blood sugars are the likely culprit. I was wrong versus date, its only been three years and a couple months that I have low carb-ed. I probably had 4-500 carbs a day for the years before that. Eye doc says that previous five years are the key to current damage.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 22:49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntJoyce
Dina: There seem to be several of us diabetics who are seeing fantastic results by doing the fast based on some threads in Protein Power and Dr. Bernstein's forum. I hit a nice 84, down from 95, and stayed there for several days (before I started eating too much again). I did not have spikes or hypo episodes either.

I am glad this worked for you. Consider you are not on meds, it would be hard to get hypo. My Bgs would stay around 110 (I did fast for almost 48 hours for colonoscopy) but did not get better results. But the problem is "before I started eating too much..." Hmm, this remainds me of something... something that I have done before I became a diabetic. Skipping meals with IF that led to overeating once the fast is over, and re-gaining everything that is lost during fast. I found that steady supply of food keeps my Bgs in better range and I eat 3 average low carb meals with a small snack either early in the morning before the workout or close to bedtime if i workout after dinner.

I simply share my experience, and also I am concerned that some newly Dx and taking OHA and /or insulin can get in trouble if they take advice on IF without consulting their dr. first.
What worked for few ppl can be outright dangerous for others, and this advice should not be dispence by someone who has no medical backgorund or a diabetic himself.

Last edited by dina1957 : Mon, Dec-04-06 at 23:12.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 23:31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
I probably had 4-500 carbs a day for the years before that. Eye doc says that previous five years are the key to current damage.

I seriously doubt that your Bgs present or previous is the culprit. If you were eating a high carb diet for a long period of time and did not become a diabetic yet, than it is hardly unlikely that your Bgs were really high during that period of time. You still are pre-diabetic, consider your FBG and GTT results, no T2 diabetic can pass GTT even after years if LC diet. I can't imagine that after years of overly high BGs that possibly caused eye damage, you are now merely a prediabetic. Could it be possible that your dr. either does not want to look any further or does not have enough expertise. You stated to be a vivid exerciser and weight lifter, I suppose your lift heavy weights. This alone can exacerbate retinopathy or even cause one if there is a weakness.
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14775330
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/mo...rticle&sid=2174
Now everything is blamed on diabetes: CHD, retinopathay, kidney problems, but non-diabetics get them too.
You can get a glucometer and a set of strips and monitor your Bgs for a week or two, before and after meals and workouts but I doubt that you will see a really big spilke.
HTH
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
.... consider your FBG and GTT results, no T2 diabetic can pass GTT even after years if LC diet.....You can get a glucometer and a set of strips and monitor your Bgs for a week or two, before and after meals and workouts but I doubt that you will see a really big spilke. HTH

Interesting. Maybe I could arrange to get at least a few weeks prescription for testing stuff, that could well be enough.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 19:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Maybe I could arrange to get at least a few weeks prescription for testing stuff, that could well be enough.

You don't give your location, Rob, but in most places a prescription is not necessary to purchase a glucometer and test strips. Many times you can get the glucometer for free after rebate but before you purchase, either see if the monitor comes with enough strips to last you a few weeks or check how much the test strips cost; the strips can be quite pricey.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 23:07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
You don't give your location, Rob, but in most places a prescription is not necessary to purchase a glucometer and test strips. Many times you can get the glucometer for free after rebate but before you purchase, either see if the monitor comes with enough strips to last you a few weeks or check how much the test strips cost; the strips can be quite pricey.

My Ultratouch glucometer came with one vial of strip (25 count). I bought my 1st glucometer when figured that I have diabetes, since my GP did not want to claim me diabetic for some reasons. The meter is one time purchase and is not overly expensive, but the strips are costly - almost 1 buck each. Both the meter and the strips can be bought OTC and do not require Rx but once you get in a habit of testing and this is addictive, LOL, you have to watch the strips or they dissapear quickly.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 06:19

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Interesting. Maybe I could arrange to get at least a few weeks prescription for testing stuff, that could well be enough.

If you're not sure you want to invest in a meter yet, then you can also purchase a mini 'on-the-go type meter. Its small convenient and cheaply cost.

I bought one when I was out of town and realized I forgot my meter (Aviva - LOVE it) back home.

I bought it at WalMart store for $19.99 and it came with 50 strips.

I bought one long ago just to try out and found them reliable so I knew I would get generally good reading with the mini.

A meter is a good investment anyway you look at it and the meter-free rebates make it afordable but it's the replacement strip's that are costly.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-07, 08:05

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Basal Insulin Requirements

I don't know whether this is true for Type 2 diabetics, but it is my understanding that for a Type 1 diabetic the basal insulin requirement is close to half of the total insulin requirement, and that with the exception of the dawn phenomenon thing, this basal requirement is pretty steady throughout the day and night, even when no food is consumed. So if you are taking no basal or insufficient basal insulin, you are going to go high even if you don't eat anything.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-07, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathylee7
I don't know whether this is true for Type 2 diabetics, but it is my understanding that for a Type 1 diabetic the basal insulin requirement is close to half of the total insulin requirement, and that with the exception of the dawn phenomenon thing, this basal requirement is pretty steady throughout the day and night, even when no food is consumed. So if you are taking no basal or insufficient basal insulin, you are going to go high even if you don't eat anything.

Don't quite understand your question. I am using OTC Regular Insulin, and keep my daytime readings close to 100, FBGs are another matter. But after my second appt. with new doc suspect I will switch to Lantus.