Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 08:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/157/140 Female 5'5
BF:27
Progress: 80%
Angry Meat/Egg fast-I'm doin' it!

I'm so frustrated. I've been stuck in the 152 range for over a month. I really thought I would have reached my goal by Christmas. I thought a year to lose about 60 lbs was plenty of time. I'm just so frustrated to be so close to goal, 12 lbs to go but be at a stand still.

We'll see how the meat/egg fast goes. I've never done a fast before. I'll be happy if I could lose at least 3-4 lbs to get in the 140s. I plan on doing it for 3 or 4 days.

Wish me luck. Anyone else try a meat/egg fast? What were your results?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 08:44

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Often and very good. A few words of advice:
Drink even more water.
Take something (flaxmeal or what have you) or you'll get really bound up.
Take your vitamins.
Don't stay on it for more than 5 days at a stretch. I usually do it during the week and then go back to Atkins for the weekends.
Bear in mind it's a stall breaker not a way of eating for lidfe as is Atkins.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 09:13

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

You might be stalled because you are closer to goal. I too was stuck in the 150s for a long time.

What finally worked for me wasn't a fat fast, but upping my carbs to about 35 g a day. If this doesn't work for you, maybe give that a try.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 09:16
Registered Member

Stats: 203/159/130 Female 5ft 3inches
BF:??/24%/???%
Progress: 60%

i'vew been on this diet for nearly a year and i have never heard of this...what am i missing out on???
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 09:45

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I know the frustration you are going through. Although I am farther from my goal than you are, I am also experiencing an extended stall. I am trying the fat fast for 5 days and then the mff for a week and then back to induction to try to get me moving. Good luck!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 13:02

Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%

I too have just started the meat/egg fast. I've been on it for 3 days after having been stuck in yet another stall for nearly two weeks. The first stall I was stuck in was for a month. Then I got things moving again by changing up my eating routine, but after I dropped 2 lbs, I stopped losing again. OH SO frustrating! So I decided to do the meat/egg fast, and after day 3 on it, I've dropped 1.5 lbs. I'm VERY thrilled with this, seeing as my loss went from zero to SOMETHING!
I'm going to do it for one full week (until next Thursday) then I'll be going back to induction for a week.
Don't want my body to get too used to not having much in the way of carbs at all, plus it's just better to keep the body guessing, I think!

Man if I knew then what I know now, I NEVER would've fell off Atkins the first time! I had NO problem the first time I was on it with losing weight. I lost it almost effortlessly! 42 lbs in 3 months! This time around is MUCH slower, and MUCH harder to get a steady weight loss.

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 17:44
Registered Member

Stats: 224/157/140 Female 5'5
BF:27
Progress: 80%

Thanks for the tips & comments.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 19:26

Plan: Atkins all the way!
Stats: 192.8/181.2/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
i'vew been on this diet for nearly a year and i have never heard of this...what am i missing out on???

I don't believe it is in any of the books, but some people prefer to do a meat/egg fast as opposed to the fat fast that Dr. A recommends. Many people find that it is a great way to get into ketosis and get past a stall.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 08:22

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPunkin
I don't believe it is in any of the books, but some people prefer to do a meat/egg fast as opposed to the fat fast that Dr. A recommends. Many people find that it is a great way to get into ketosis and get past a stall.

Last I checked Dr Atkins recommended the fat fast for the extremely metabolic resistant, not to speed up wieght loss for those in a stall.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm against any diet with "fast" in the title.

--nw
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 08:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

^^ I ditto that, though that's just personal opinion. It's a nice concept, but it doesn't solve whatever issue was causing you to stall out: maybe you were eating too much cheese, drinking 6 coffees a day loaded with cream, etc. The weight will probably come back as soon as you resume your old routine.

Personally, I think the best bet is to go for really clean eating. Minimize your dairy, artificial sweeteners and processed food, maximize plain fats, eggs, meats and vegetables. It's boring but effective.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 08:29
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

My question is: If you cut down to NO carbs in the form of any kind of "fast" and it quits working, where do you go from there?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 09:36
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
My question is: If you cut down to NO carbs in the form of any kind of "fast" and it quits working, where do you go from there?

Good point.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 12:28

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Stillman's diet is basically a meat egg fast and it has been around for a long time. It is basically meat, eggs, fish, -very low carb and also low fat. It is a quick weight loss diet however and not a healthy way of eating.

One idea might be to do Stillman's and then add things in one at a time until you stop losing, you would then know that the last thing you added in was the culprit.

Although I've had great results with Stillman's the add it in thing is just an idea by the way - I haven't tried it myself!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 12:49
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Found this link on the Stillman diet:

Stillman Rules

Sounds kinda rough!!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 16:21

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Thanks for the link. That was interesting. Looks like a rather boring diet. I have been stalled however for several months. I need to get this weight going off again.