Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 18:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default I don't know what to have for breakfast

Until about 10 days ago, I was drinking a Slim-Fast shake for breakfast for about 6 months. It suited me well, as I don't like to eat in the morning, even though I get hungry about 3 hours after I wake up. The shakes just did it for me. I started Atkins because my weight stalled for 2 months on Slim-Fast and I was starving.

I have boiled some eggs but honestly I know I will get sick of them quickly. I'm thinking of microwaving some bacon to have with them in the morning. Now that I know the 90-second bread is out (made with almond flour) I don't know what to eat.

Are there any shakes out there that are truly low-carb?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 18:25

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Try eating dinner for breakfast. I've come to the point where food is just food. Breaking away from your notions of what, when, how and why you eat is worth examining. Perhaps our old ways and routines got us to where we're at today, in fact it's most probably because here we are

No recommendation on shakes tho, sorry
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 21:17

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

What phase of Atkins?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 04:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. I always say that if you're not that hungry, don't eat. Many of us just have coffee (or nothing at all) in the morning.

If you're going to work/school/whatever and it's going to be too long of a wait for a break to eat, I'd just grab some lunch meat, cheese, dinner leftovers, or whatever seems appealing. It doesn't have to be eggs or smoothies. Like Thud said, food is food.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 05:25

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Unless I'm going to be somewhere without access to food, I don't normally eat breakfast until 10 or 11 am. I'm just not hungry until then. I think that whole "You must eat breakfast to lose weight" is based on research from carb heavy diets. Lately, I've been eating a burger for breakfast, but a crustless quiche (fritata) reheats nicely in the microwave if you're craving a more breakfast-y food. I always say that I eat whatever I want as much as I want, just not sugar or bread. 
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 05:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Eat only when hungry. Or try coffee with a small amount of fat (HWC, butter or coconut oil) when you do get hungry to tide you over to lunch. Then eat two meals in a 6 to 8 hour eating window.

When I get sick of eggs, I do use Quest protein powders (now available at Walmart) mixed with coconut milk, greens, berries. For pre-mixed shake, EAS Advantedge on occasion.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 05:56

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I normally have a burger and a salad for breakfast.

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 08:11

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'm with Jean!

Salad with burger on top and toppings pickle, fried sauerkraut, cucumber, onion, fried egg, guacamole and just a dab of chili sauce. Get creative for Breakfast if you eat it. Lately I've been skipping and just drinking some coffee with fat in it. That gets me thru till dinner ~17:00 in the evening.

#9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-17, 08:19

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

There are protein shakes you can make. I bought a Nutribullet Pro for my shakes and I love it. I use a serving of whey protein powder (I use Jay Robb whey protein vanilla or chocolate), a cup of water, splash of heavy cream, tablespoon of flax seeds and chia seeds, handful of blueberries, one Splenda packet and ice...then blend it up. Very tasty and filling. I tried different powered protein mixes, and like Jay Robb the best.....and I can get it at Kroger. The protein mix has 1 carb per serving.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-17, 08:25

BF:

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I'm planning ahead this week. I'm frying bacon right now to put in baggies for the next few days, and I bought some low carb shakes. I boiled some more eggs, even though I'm getting sick of them I feel like I start craving them mid-morning when I'm really getting hungry.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-17, 18:28
Registered Member

Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%

Call me old fashion but I eat the same exact thing for breakfast as I eat for dinner. Either beef or pork and spinach with some sugar free bbq sauce and butter. Sure some may find this boring but i am losing fast doing this, can't say its recommended for everyone but its been working great for me.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-17, 21:00

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomess
Until about 10 days ago, I was drinking a Slim-Fast shake for breakfast for about 6 months. It suited me well, as I don't like to eat in the morning, even though I get hungry about 3 hours after I wake up. The shakes just did it for me. I started Atkins because my weight stalled for 2 months on Slim-Fast and I was starving.

I have boiled some eggs but honestly I know I will get sick of them quickly. I'm thinking of microwaving some bacon to have with them in the morning. Now that I know the 90-second bread is out (made with almond flour) I don't know what to eat.

Are there any shakes out there that are truly low-carb?

Atkins makes several shakes in several different flavors. None of them taste that good to me, a bit chalky.

I will make shakes out of the kind of protein powder found at almost any health store. When I add heavy whipping cream to them, they are very yummy.

Also, eggs are only 80 calories. Not much. Ten eggs a day seems like a lot of eggs but it's only 800 calories. I have to eat a lot of eggs to stay full.

Last edited by inflammabl : Mon, Apr-10-17 at 21:41.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-17, 07:15

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

A flax meal muffin in a minute is a good way to get an egg into your meal. Even in induction, Atkins allows 2 tbls. of flax which is not much less than the 1/4 cup usually suggested for the muffin (I've made them with 2 tbls., they work fine).
Then you can vary the flavourings for variety. Cheddar and chives, asiago and curry, parmesan and italian herbs. Later you can do chocolate and berries, nuts, artificial sweeteners if you so choose, etc.

The muffin is:

2 tbls. to 1/4 cup flax meal (golden is particularly nice)
1 tbls. oil of choice - (more or less doesn't seem to matter)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg

Beat well with a fork, add flavoring and other ingredients of choice, microwave one minute or so (my microwave needs 1:15). Eat hot muffin with lots of butter

Last edited by cshepard : Tue, Apr-11-17 at 19:57.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-17, 19:15

BF:

That sounds so good!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-17, 08:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I can't speak for shakes, but I know that sometimes I dint have time for a cooked breakfast, or I'm not hungry but I'll be in meetings all morning and will have to fight the cookies. What I have is bullet proof coffee-- not the brand name, but my own.

2 shots of espresso
1 tbsp grass-fed butter unsalted
1 tbsp organic coconut oil
Hot water to lengthen a bit

Whip together using hand held frother. The frothing emusifies the fats into a creamier drink rather than an oil slick on top. It tastes like a different drink, richer, slightly coconuty creamy drink. It's not expected coffee-hit (at least for me; I like black coffee) but it's easy to get used to. My DW uses strong green tea.

About 350 cals made like this, a carb from the coffee, lasts me most of the morning, with some nuts just in case of cookie-resistance failure.