Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 14:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

I didn't notice anything. I'm not focusing on higher fat right now. It didn't help my weight loss. I'm focusing on a thyroid problem right now. I've read the higher fat does help many though.

Donna
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 18:02

Stats: 185/165.2/125 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/38%/25%
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnahill8
I didn't notice anything. I'm not focusing on higher fat right now. It didn't help my weight loss. I'm focusing on a thyroid problem right now. I've read the higher fat does help many though.

I haven't noticed that it's helped, but I feel good so I'm going to stick with it. Thyroid problems are hard - I hope you can get it sorted. Friend of mine was doing P90X every single day, eating 1200 cals/day, and putting on weight because of an undiagnosed thyroid problem. She got it sorted and the weight started coming off. I hope it works that way for you too!
  #138   ^
Old Fri, May-04-12, 08:19

Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

What I did notice was that my skin was soo soft and smooth. Like I had had some kind of skin treatment at a spa. It was great feeling at my shoulders and arms.

Donna
  #139   ^
Old Fri, May-04-12, 08:44

My face is soft like a baby's! I love that
  #140   ^
Old Fri, May-04-12, 16:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, low carb
Stats: 160/145/123 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 41%

Yeah I think butter actually does wonders for your skin! Also avocados are awesome for skin.
  #141   ^
Old Sun, May-06-12, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: JUDDD/Low-Carb/IF
Stats: 160/140/120 Female 5'3"
BF:32%/22%/15%
Progress: 50%

This thread is incredible! Very helpful. Nica, how many calories do you eat roughly? Also, do you exercise/train? If so, what sort of exercise do you find compliments a higher fat moderate protein diet.
  #142   ^
Old Wed, May-09-12, 10:47
Keepin' It Real

Plan: IF
Stats: 250/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I loved this ARTICLE by Dana Carpender. It's talking about hcg, but more importantly, her experience with Atkins fat fast. I don't have any hcg, but I think I'm going to give the fat fast a try.
  #143   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 17:36

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/200.7/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Very interesting thread- just read the whole thing! Nice to see people complain about their loss and then look up in the right hand corner and see they went on to lose much, much more since they posted!

Just wondering- people are talking about nuts and nut butters. All I have ever heard is that nuts make people stall out. For some reason I gained five %}#]^]* pounds this weekend. I'm sure it's just water... I guess.... But my appetite has gone way down. So- can anyone give their opinions on nuts and nut butters? I would like to hear it from the horses mouth(s).

Thank you!
  #144   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagsMarie
Very interesting thread- just read the whole thing! Nice to see people complain about their loss and then look up in the right hand corner and see they went on to lose much, much more since they posted!

Just wondering- people are talking about nuts and nut butters. All I have ever heard is that nuts make people stall out. For some reason I gained five %}#]^]* pounds this weekend. I'm sure it's just water... I guess.... But my appetite has gone way down. So- can anyone give their opinions on nuts and nut butters? I would like to hear it from the horses mouth(s).

Thank you!

Depending on the nut, different people can stall. I can eat up to 2 tbsp of all-natural peanut butter (nothing but ground peanuts) a couple of days a week without being adversely affected, but I can't have it every day. I can have macadamia nuts every day without any adverse effect (but macadamia nuts are higher in fat proportionally). Other people can't have nuts at all, and some people can eat plenty of them once they're up to that rung of the latter.

If you gained five pounds in a weekend, that's definitely water - to gain even 2 pounds you'd have to have eaten more food than you could physically stomach. Which is a good thing - it means you can get rid of it fairly easily.

It might not be the nuts, however. Are you eating salted nuts? Salt can make you retain water. Are you drinking enough water? You need to hydrate in order to get rid of excess water (which in turn flushes out fat, salt, toxins, etc).
  #145   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 18:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchan
Depending on the nut, different people can stall. I can eat up to 2 tbsp of all-natural peanut butter (nothing but ground peanuts) a couple of days a week without being adversely affected, but I can't have it every day. I can have macadamia nuts every day without any adverse effect (but macadamia nuts are higher in fat proportionally). Other people can't have nuts at all, and some people can eat plenty of them once they're up to that rung of the latter.

If you gained five pounds in a weekend, that's definitely water - to gain even 2 pounds you'd have to have eaten more food than you could physically stomach. Which is a good thing - it means you can get rid of it fairly easily.

It might not be the nuts, however. Are you eating salted nuts? Salt can make you retain water. Are you drinking enough water? You need to hydrate in order to get rid of excess water (which in turn flushes out fat, salt, toxins, etc).

Thank you, yes, all of that and more, sadly. Salted almonds. Bacon. Less water and more diet coke. Two Atkins "treat" bars in one day- for three days.

I have done these things before but never all together over a three day span (a lot going on).

Also- up for your advice- the pollen count has been CRAZY here and I have been mainlining Zyrtec and Chlortrimeton. Thoughts? Also, I get eight hours of sleep a night and had five one night and six two others.

Meh, I will try not to obsess. Just as long as I'm with other obsessives I thought I would obsessively ask. Everything has been going fine and I have no complaints- none. The only reason I am temporarily scale obsessed is that I am trying to move up my carb intake a bit (still at induction levels, though as you can see from above, not entirely induction foods) and trying to see if it's the level itself that is making me level off.

Sorry, that sounds like a maze but I'm sure you all know just what I meant.

Last edited by WagsMarie : Wed, May-30-12 at 18:27.
  #146   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 19:51

Diet drinks (diet anything with artificial sweeteners) can really trip you up, as the sweeteners can mess with your insulin/blood sugar. Try to keep those to an absolute minimum. Too much salt will definitely cause you to retain water. Try to get unsalted nuts - go for macadamias if you can get them. They're expensive but the fat content means you're sated faster than you would be with a low-fat nut.

The allergy meds can always have an effect as well - a lot of them have various sugars or maltodextrin in their makeup, and the medication itself can always have an effect. I have never used Zyrtec but I combine Reactine and Nasonex, and don't seem to have a noticeable issue with them (I have terrible environmental allergies).

Sleep is a great help, as our bodies use it for so much recuperation and rebuilding. Always get as much as you can, but don't worry too much unless you're getting far too little sleep in a night.

Don't let yourself obsess, though, particularly about the scale. It's often a big fat liar and will tell you that you haven't lost or that you've gained - when in fact you may have gained muscle and lost inches. Measurements in tandem with weight will give you a better idea of how you're moving along
  #147   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-12, 06:40

BF:

Thank you, katchan! I am in a prolonged stall- prolonged in my mind, anyway. Coming up on two weeks. Hit a five point upward bounce and here I sit. I can't seem to use my plan on this iPad but I'll try it on a PC later. My ketostix are purple so I know my carbs are kosher. I'm afraid if I enter everything in I'll be torn between "watch those calories!" and "add more fat!" and I really need to stay on track. Ugh. Hmm.
  #148   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-12, 07:18

Hi Marie - two weeks, I'm happy to report to you, is not a lot. I was stalled for eight weeks, and Chris_D, who got me through it, was at one point stalled for nine. So don't despair just yet I always advise people not to look at what's not happening, but to look at what's happened already - you've lost almost a third of what you want to lose! Your body may just be taking this time to readjust to all its new levels. Don't give up, keep drinking your water (despite the myth that it causes you to bloat), and stay on track. And keep using your journal to keep notes for yourself Good luck!!
  #149   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-12, 12:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchan
Hi Marie - two weeks, I'm happy to report to you, is not a lot. I was stalled for eight weeks, and Chris_D, who got me through it, was at one point stalled for nine. So don't despair just yet I always advise people not to look at what's not happening, but to look at what's happened already - you've lost almost a third of what you want to lose! Your body may just be taking this time to readjust to all its new levels. Don't give up, keep drinking your water (despite the myth that it causes you to bloat), and stay on track. And keep using your journal to keep notes for yourself Good luck!!

Thank you so much. Anything and everything is in my line of fire right now. I have settled on blaming my OBGYN for prescribing medroxyprogesterone for what was really not a huge issue- menopause and hot flashes. I've decided that that is what's causing this stall-which-is-not-really-a-stall-yet. I take ten pills, then none for twenty, then back on again. So I'm blaming a ten day stall on them . Took my last pill at 205 and am watching the scale creep up every day. So I called the office four times in the last week, no call back, and finally just called today and said: I threw them out. The hot flashes are bad but not impacting my life in any great way.

I need to bust on through this block for my own mental health. So do I exercise and eat less calories (no) or up my fats and stop nuts (not worrrrrrkingggg) or just wait? Round and round I go on this issue. Well, I just decided to bring out the big guns and ordered GCBC. 500 pages of stultifyingly boring science should do the trick.
  #150   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-12, 01:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/220/132 Female 1.65 cm
BF:
Progress:

Hello all Thank you so much for this thread! I have never understood the importance of fat when doing low carb diets until I read this! I have added two tbspoon of olive oil to my two scrambled eggs this morning! Hop eI am doing it right, but my question is... how do you know your percentage? I saw people saying they eat 70% fat 25% Protein and 5% carbs. How do I know how many percent of fat I eat? Is there a counter online somewhere?