Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 07:40

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Hugs to you Brandy!
I'm sorry that you're facing changing with so much resistance. It is a very hard thing to do. It is not impossible though and when you are ready, you'll embrace it. Being a young mother to what, 3 kinds now?, much of your focus is on them first, you come after. If you can find a way to put yourself first, things will probably get easier for you.

Thank you, Judy. I just keep asking myself how high the scales are going to have to go before I decide to stop half-assing this. I'm hurting and my feet hurt all the time. I feel awful in my clothes and in my own skin. I do have three kids and the youngest, my girl, is three. It's time to start making ME a priority. Now...to figure out what that looks like for me. All you maintainers had to figure out what worked to take the pounds off and then what maintenance would look like for you. It seems different for all of you, both the weight loss journey and maintenance. I want to develop that ruthless streak that you all seem to possess. ☺️
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 07:58

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
TAll you maintainers had to figure out what worked to take the pounds off and then what maintenance would look like for you. It seems different for all of you, both the weight loss journey and maintenance. I want to develop that ruthless streak that you all seem to possess. ☺️

For me its not so much a ruthless streak but believing absolutely that the foods I avoid are poison to my body. I would no more ingest the foods that make me fat and sick than I would ingest arsenic, no matter if it were hidden in the tastiest food. Also I tell myself that I am grateful to have discovered a way to eat that keep me healthy rather than focus on what others might see as deprivation. Eating this way is a gift to myself not a punishment.

There are 2 necessary elements to having success. One is figuring out what to eat and what not to eat and the other is developing a positive attitude towards the way of eating that works, seeing it as the road towards improved health rather than something you have to endure.

Jean
  #168   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 08:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
Thank you, Judy. I just keep asking myself how high the scales are going to have to go before I decide to stop half-assing this. I'm hurting and my feet hurt all the time. I feel awful in my clothes and in my own skin. I do have three kids and the youngest, my girl, is three. It's time to start making ME a priority. Now...to figure out what that looks like for me. All you maintainers had to figure out what worked to take the pounds off and then what maintenance would look like for you. It seems different for all of you, both the weight loss journey and maintenance. I want to develop that ruthless streak that you all seem to possess. ☺️

I just read your inflammation thread. I think that in that pain you feel, your change awaits you. For many of us, it was a health scare that made us force the changes. If certain foods you eat give you pain, then avoiding them will get easier for you as you identify them.
It does take a level of ruthlessness. But a desire to feel good in your body each and every day should make that ruthlessness available to you.
  #169   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 10:21

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
There are 2 necessary elements to having success. One is figuring out what to eat and what not to eat and the other is developing a positive attitude towards the way of eating that works, seeing it as the road towards improved health rather than something you have to endure.
Ditto this.

I keep decision-making very simple by basically saying "No Sugar. No starch." This covers a lot of ground, low-carb-wise. At first it seems insurmountable, if not punishing. After a while, the good and highly available choices overcome any sense of deprivation, even without substitutes (like no-sugar candies).

That said, achieving good health is always a matter of choices and self-discipline. I've been a dedicated exerciser for decades, from running to weight training. Even so, it doesn't take much time off before that routine begins to slip. I know that as I embark on my seventh decade of life, every minute I spend pumping iron or pounding pavement (gently walking!) is a stronger, healthier, and more independent life for me. I see ladies who are my age NOW that I don't want to "grow up to be like."

Best wishes.
  #170   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 06:32
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
glad this got bumped up. We are all on a journey as long term maintainers- a journey with very little support or guidelines. This site has given me most of what I need to maintain- and the people who post here are my GUIDES. I learn soooo much from you- and the great things you repost here from other sources- thank you!
Even 12 years in, I still need to plan, I still need to commit to this as my permanent WOL, I still need to tweek my eating and learn to listen to myself as well as to others. My body has changed over 12 years- that is not something I was ready for. My life is also different- while maintaining life happens- and one of the most important statements I have made to myself was to not allow stress to be an excuse to eat off plan. I'd be sick eating off plan, and being sick would limit my ability to deal with the stress and help others as well as myself survive. When my DH was diagnosed with a really rare cancer in 2013, I told him that he was my first priority but that I was #2, and that part of taking care of myself was that I would stay OP and continue my daily walking. Eating OP is a gift I give myself - and a gift that has given back to me every day.
Even if other people don't understand (how many well meant boxes of cookies and cakes did I give away that year- or just toss out!)- I know what I need and I love myself enough to do this work. I don't see it as ruthlessness- I see it as self love and self care - doing what is necessary for me to have the life and health that I want. It is all about health . I still plan and still come here and post and read and I still commit to this as my WOL. Yes, it's still work- but it's still worth it.
E
ps- DH is doing great-
E

Last edited by Enomarb : Sun, Oct-18-15 at 06:38.
  #171   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 07:25
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
For me its not so much a ruthless streak but believing absolutely that the foods I avoid are poison to my body. I would no more ingest the foods that make me fat and sick than I would ingest arsenic, no matter if it were hidden in the tastiest food. Also I tell myself that I am grateful to have discovered a way to eat that keep me healthy rather than focus on what others might see as deprivation. Eating this way is a gift to myself not a punishment.
Wow that's how I view my LC WOE as well. I don't feel deprived because I can't eat significant amounts of carb-age like other people. I have to eat what makes and keeps me healthy...PERIOD!

Quote:
AMEN, sista Jean... !! That's what makes this a WOL/WOE rather than a diet.
  #172   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 13:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Wow that's how I view my LC WOE as well. I don't feel deprived because I can't eat significant amounts of carb-age like other people. I have to eat what makes and keeps me healthy...PERIOD!

AMEN, sista Jean... !! That's what makes this a WOL/WOE rather than a diet.

Yep!! I just wish I'd found out sooner in my life - I'd have spared so much pain and misery!

Jo xxx
  #173   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 16:05
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
Yep!! I just wish I'd found out sooner in my life - I'd have spared so much pain and misery!

Jo xxx
Oh Lord, Jo! I sat down one day to figure out how many years I wasted "trying" to do this right! It adds up to a total of 35 years! I discovered A '72 in 1979 and lost my first 110 lbs and regained & lost and re-gained...rinse, repeat recycling the old pounds over and over again! Holy Hannah! My highest weight was 293 lbs in 1996...

But you know what, I NEVER gave up ONCE! I was never happy as "Fat Jo" and I knew I was eventually going to figure this out and do it correctly!

Remember it took Edison over 200 failed experiments to finally figure out the light bulb!
  #174   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 18:04

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj

I try not to go there. I wish I had figured it out sooner too but at least I did figure it out eventually. So many people don't so compared to them I'm one of the lucky ones. One way to see all those years is not as wasted years but as part of the journey that got me to where I am today.

Jean
  #175   ^
Old Fri, Oct-23-15, 18:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Ok, Maintainers!!! What is the best piece of advice you would give a L/C Newbie???!!
  #176   ^
Old Fri, Oct-23-15, 18:39

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Don't expect instant results, and don't plan on going back to the way you used to eat; that's what got you overweight in the first place!
  #177   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-15, 17:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRC
Don't expect instant results, and don't plan on going back to the way you used to eat; that's what got you overweight in the first place!

EXACTLY!!!
Mine?
Cheating...planned or otherwise is often self sabotage
  #178   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 21:50

BF:

I'm fighting the good fight...Im 134.6 after the holidays.... after Im done with my meds I may regain the 5 lbs....but my commitmet
is to keep my focus on 137- 142
  #179   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 12:52

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

an older male client once told me "my wife thanks you."
if sex doesn't motivate a person, well.........

on a serious note, i always tell people you HAVE to read the book. otherwise you aren't doing atkins or paleo or south beach, you are doing Jenny's Plan.
So while a person can eventually find their way to a destination in a city they have never visited, they will get their a whole lot more quickly, if they use a GPS. That's what these books are, they are your road map to sucess written by people who did tons of research and found what works and what hinders progress.
(I know i first read that metaphor on this site, but it was many years ago and i can't remember who initially said it- i think it was someone who does nutrition counseling? Maybe Lisa?).
  #180   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-16, 10:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahsafta
Ok, Maintainers!!! What is the best piece of advice you would give a L/C Newbie???!!

Figure out it is for life.