Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 16:54

Plan: Ketogenic/85-90%Carnivore
Stats: 298/206/168 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Just when you think everything is OK....

My GP found a cervical polyp ( during routine annual exam) and sent me to a GYN to check on it.
I had some hormone levels drawn and an ultrasound done. The report on the ultrasound only mentioned a small fibroid, otherwise normal. The labs also appeared to be within normal limits.

But my GYN said I had ovarian dysfunction and I am not ovulating. I quess he interpreted this from my labs. I told him I had regular periods. I also saw him write down PCOS, even though no cysts showed on the ultrasound.

Long story short, after a 5 minute office visit including pelvic exam and his review of my reports; he walked out and I was talking to someone to set a surgery schedule to remove the polyp, have a D&C and a endometrial ablation.

I do have about 2 days of heavy bleeding with some clots when I have my period. But the period only lasts about 5 days totally with only 2 being heavy.

I have have been having aching and bloating after Tom.
Starts a few days after stopping period. Shouldn't this just happen before TOM and not after? And every so often, in the middle of cycle ( between periods) I will have a short cramp or two.

Anyone relate to this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 17:08

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Hi Jiggy,

Are you sure they wanted to do an endometrial ablation? Thats usually a last ditch effort. Do you knowthat procedure will make you sterile? I had uterine polyps 2 years ago and had the D&C to remove them. Ablation was offered AFTER that only if I could not control the bleeding with other means, which I was able to do by being on birth control pills.

I can't believe the doctor didn't explain this to you in DETAIL. A 5 minute visit is crazy when you're talking about making a woman sterile. I would defintately get a second opinion before I went through with that.

Good luck to you.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 19:26

Plan: Ketogenic/85-90%Carnivore
Stats: 298/206/168 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Thankyou Cindy, I have had a tubal so I am sterile already.
I am wondering if a hormone therapy would work. I am 48 years old. I produce excessive estrogen. What would I take?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 23:34

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Hi Jiggy,

Whew! I was just worried you were at an age where you *might* still consider having kids and didn't know the end result of that procedure. I have no idea of the long term effects of that other than it will make you sterile and basically blasts everything out of your uterus.

I'd definately do some research on hormones, pre-menopause, etc and see if the ablation procedure is an option that will provide long term results for you. One book you might want to read is "what your doctor won't tell you about menopause" by Dr. Lee. Lot's of good info for any woman looking at peri-menopause too.

Good luck and I hope things get better for you soon.