Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 15:48

Plan: Semi-Low Carb
Stats: 165/165/150 Female 6'
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi I'm new! Here's my story...

Hello everyone, my name is Jill and I was diagnosed with PCOS in November of 2003. I had gone on Atkins in August of '03 to lose about 15 lbs. and after the induction phase was over with I miraculously started my period (in the year prior I had had maybe 4 periods.) I started doing research on the Net about it and read all about PCOS. I have many of the symptoms...inability to lose weight, facial hair, annovulatory cycles. I am not overweight but I did have about 20 lbs that I wanted to get rid of and nothing seemed to work until Atkins. I lost 10 lbs after the 2 week induction phase was over. Anyway...went to the doc and got diagnosed with PCOS and put on clomid and glucophage. We were desperately trying to get pregnant and the doc felt that was the best way to do it. Well...that combo didn't work and I ended up having to go off the clomid because of financial issues. So I just stuck with a low-carb diet and the metformin. Come to find out, that was all I needed because in April of 2004 I discovered I was pregnant. And on January 8th, 2005 I gave birth to our beautiful daughter, Madalen.

Thankfully I lost all the weight I gained during pregnancy (plus a pound! Yay!) but I am still wanting to lose about 10 lbs. So here I am, back on low carb! I just saw the midwife yesterday and instead of putting me on the pill, I requested that I get a diaphram instead. She gladly prescribed it to me and is going to discuss me going back on metformin with my doc. I can't wait to see what my cycles will do and I am going to start taking my temps on Monday. My hubby is doing the low-carb thing too because he put on a bit of sympathy weight. We both have Y memberships and as soon as Madalen is old enough to get into the nursery (2 months) we'll be heading up there and taking Pilates classes. I can't wait!

Anyway...I just wanted to introduce myself and give you all a little background info. I hope to get to know you all soon and I look forward to posting here more in the future. Have a great day!

Jilly

P.S. Here's my little munchkin!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 10:18

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

Congrats Jill, for women like me who have had horrible fertility experiances, its nice to hear of women with PCOS that have successful pregnancy. Best of luck on your weight loss, and congrats on your beautiful bundle.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 20:55

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 198/197/150 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress:
Default Congrats

I am also new to the forum and I just read your letter and saw the picture of your baby girl!! I am 21 and always worry about not being able to have children so I am so happy to see it's possible. Your baby is so beautiful!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 22:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151.8/145.2/138.6 Female 174
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default I can sooo relate to your story...

Hi Jill! I just read your post and just had to write to say how similar your experience was to mine.

I had gone off the pill in Sept 2002 and after several months of TTC was a little frustrated / puzzled as to why nothing had happened. At the time I realised that it could take up to 12 months to conceive but I always had in the back of my mind about my Mum and how she needed Clomid to fall with me. I still got what I considered were regular periods (every month) but later found that because they weren't around the same time each month (ie every 28 days) that I was probably considered irregular and not ovulating. After getting blood tests done and an ultrasound I was diagnosed with PCOS in June 2003. I have to admit that I was a little relieved because at least we had something to explain it all. My doctor recommended Atkins and I started it straight away. I was 74kg at the time and my goal was 63kg. I noticed soonafter losing some weight that I started ovulating on my own but after a few positive months the Doctor still recommended Clomid. On my second course in October 2003 I fell pregnant. I had been at my goal weight for about a month or so before I fell. My beautiful daughter, Hayley, was born in July 2004. I had a problem free pregnancy and despite having PCOS I didn't have any problems with gestational diabetes or anything like that. My blood pressure and urine were considered normal throughout the whole time.

I lost most of the weight after she was born and managed to maintain 69kg over the last 7 1/2 months but I really wanted to drop the remainder and get down to my original goal weight of 63kg.

My gorgeous girl is now 8 months. My husband and I are ready to try for baby #2 - So here I am, I've started Atkins again. I noticed ever since Hayley was about 5-6 months old and on more solid foods that my periods have returned (sorry if too much information) and I'm hoping that I'll ovulate regularly soon. The doctor didn't seem to think that I'd need Clomid again and I'm hoping that'll hold true. I truly believe that changing to LC is what helped my body function 'normally' again so I want to give my body the best possible chance! I'm sorry I can't relate to Metformin as I've never needed it but I think it's great that it worked for you (and many others I've heard of).

My clear cut goal is to really make Atkins a lifestyle choice as I kinda lost my way during pregnancy and once my baby was born. (Free license to eat lots of naughty stuff).

Sorry to ramble. Congrats on your baby! Enjoy it while you can. They really do grow really quickly. I know Hayley is growing so quick right before our eyes. I feel so privileged to be blessed with our baby and wish so many other women trying the best of luck.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 22:04

Plan: Only familiar w/Atkins
Stats: 200/196/170 Female 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Yes, congratulations Jill (and rahngirl)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy04
I am also new to the forum and I just read your letter and saw the picture of your baby girl!! I am 21 and always worry about not being able to have children so I am so happy to see it's possible. Your baby is so beautiful!!!

My sentiments exactly, Quincy. I am 22, with no periods, and I always worry about the same thing (oddly enough I worried even when I was on birth control and having regular periods...kinda' bizarre as I had no real reason to worry at that time...just a feeling --- boy do I hope that I am NOT psychic!).

Motherhood must be such an amazing experience. I am sure that women with PCOS who are able to have kids do not take their blessings for granted.