Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-06, 21:01

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default For the ladies.....

Hi everyone,

Fellow PCOSer here as well (aren't we blessed!). I started this WOE a little over a month ago and my periods have gone wonky!

I am on birth control pills but my last two cycles have started a week early while I still have a week left of pills to take. My period lasts at least a week and a half while usually it is 3 days. Has anyone else noticed some irregularities with thier cycle when they first started low carbing???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 18:01
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

My cycle became more regular, actually, when I started Atkins back in 2003. I went off the Pill, and found I was able to regulate my own cycles - for the first time in my life! So I used other means for contraception, since I didn't need the Pill to regulate my periods anymore.

You appear to be successfully losing weight - that could be making your periods wonky, too.

Maybe you could phone the nurse at your gynecologist's office and ask about this? See if there are any tests they want to run, or if they might want to change which Pill you're on?

I hope it evens out. This stuff is no fun! I have a Mirena IUD now, after having my son in April, and my body's still getting used to it. So I'm having some wacketty periods, lemme tell you.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 14:00

Stats: 227/227/146 Female 62 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 0%

I have never been on the pill (use progesterone to bring on AF) but I know that the times I have followed a strict LC diet, I have had a visit from AF when normally I never see her w/o medication. So, LC definitely does something!

~k
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 06:40

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

Thanks ladies,

IT does seem to be calming down a bit but it is SO heavy. Oh the joy of womanhood!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-07, 20:43

Plan: New to SB
Stats: 340/327.0/220 Female 67 inches
BF:Lots!
Progress: 11%

The last time I LC'd AF showed up after a 4 month absence ....and wouldn't stop. I ended up having a d&c. This time AF hasn't shown up and has been away for a few months. I really hope she doesn't bother coming around with such force like she did last time.

For the record I'm on 500mg twice a day.

I must say, I do like the metformin - helps with all the constipation issues of LC'ing! hahahahah!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 20:52

Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I went probably a year or so with absolutely no periods before being diagnosed with PCOS. Metformin apparently regulated me - I'm like clockwork now for the first time in my LIFE. I do have months, however, where they are super super heavy and I cramp worse than ever before.

Quote:
I must say, I do like the metformin - helps with all the constipation issues of LC'ing! hahahahah!
Amen to that!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-07, 18:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins for Life
Stats: 290/290/190 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress:

I know what you are saying I started just LC and saw great results, so eventually I think AF will straighten out. Sometimes my cramps really hurt, but I have to remind myself I didn't have a period at all so why complain. Take care!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 12:04

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

For the first time in my life since I was 15, I have gone three months in a row without cramps. I used to have cramps so bad that I was on narcotic pain meds for them. My first month LC, the cramps were still there, but not so bad. These alst two months, I had no craps at all.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 12:33

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

When I started low carbing and was on birth control for over a year before that (didn't know I had PCOS a month ago when I started Atkins), my periods came a day earlier, and a month later, a day earlier than THAT. I guess that was good, I didn't have it for the weekend?