Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 10:06
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default How low do you go?

I am a 43 year old lady with PCOS and I was wondering how low do you other ladies need to keep your daily carbs at in order to to lose weight or maintain your weight?

I'm just curious.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 10:15

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

I find that if I go above 50 I gain, if I stay beween 40-50 I maintain, below 40 I loose. I have been sticking to induction type leves till I get to the 50% mark then I will play around with it a bit. But everyones body is diffrent add 5grams a week to yout induction 20 and see how your body adjusts.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 17:30

Plan: PCOS Diet
Stats: 196/185/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

If you can, try to track down *The PCOS Diet Book* by Colette Harris. She explains why fad diets like Low Carbing won't work longterm for sufferers of PCOS. Although, superficially, they look at first glance like they'd be very beneficial. (p. 190ff., explains why).

It is recommended that women with PCOS do, indeed cut out refined carbs and stick with a diet that is mainly low GI carbs - but if you have PCOS you should never go below 40% diet's intake being from carbs and rather than cut them down you should be looking to increasing the right sort of complex, low GI carbs.

Your PCOS can be better addressed by tackling the toxins in your diet - so use only wholegrains, whole foods, and preferably organic. Avoid all processed food. If you have PCOS your body simply can't factor out the toxins/chemicals that leach into food from plastic containers, so you should never drink or eat from them, either. Basically, what you're left with, is an organic, whole-food diet - at least 40% of which should be coming from carbs.

*The PCOS Diet Book* is published by Thorssons.

Annwn.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 18:08
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annwn
If you can, try to track down *The PCOS Diet Book* by Colette Harris. She explains why fad diets like Low Carbing won't work longterm for sufferers of PCOS. Although, superficially, they look at first glance like they'd be very beneficial. (p. 190ff., explains why).

It is recommended that women with PCOS do, indeed cut out refined carbs and stick with a diet that is mainly low GI carbs - but if you have PCOS you should never go below 40% diet's intake being from carbs and rather than cut them down you should be looking to increasing the right sort of complex, low GI carbs.

Your PCOS can be better addressed by tackling the toxins in your diet - so use only wholegrains, whole foods, and preferably organic. Avoid all processed food. If you have PCOS your body simply can't factor out the toxins/chemicals that leach into food from plastic containers, so you should never drink or eat from them, either. Basically, what you're left with, is an organic, whole-food diet - at least 40% of which should be coming from carbs.

*The PCOS Diet Book* is published by Thorssons.

Annwn.

Thank you for the info Annwn. I am pretty much avoiding all processed food.
The only thing I seem to have trouble avoiding right now is diet pepsi because I like it so much. I have switched to the caffeine free version and have cut back drastically on my intake of them from one every day to a couple times a week. Eventually I will be rid of them but it is a slow process for me. I find if I do something gradually then cold turkey I do much better at it.
Thank you for the info regarding the book. I will look for it.