Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-15, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/128/115 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 46%

Being 51 I am really hoping that it won't be much more difficult to lose the weight than it was when I was in my late 30's - early 40's. Am I kidding myself? lol Back in 2004 I lost 40 lbs on Atkins but it took me 9 months to do it. This time I only want to lose 20. I hope it isn't going to take as long! ugh
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-15, 12:27

Plan: 6WBMO/Paleo
Stats: 196.7/175.6/130 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaSeas
Hi everybody! My name is Jaye. I am 56 and this is my second time low carbing. The first was in 2004 and I easily dropped 20 lbs and kept it off until a total hysterectomy knocked me in to menopause. Before I knew it I had gained almost 30 pounds and had all the energy of a garden slug...

I re-started low carbing the end of January and am slowly dropping the pounds. Sure not as easy this time around!

Really, end of January and you've already lost 10 lbs.? That's fantastic!
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 04:16

Plan: Trying the Atkins
Stats: 247.7/245.8/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hey everyone! 58 years old here and lately feeling every year and then some LOL.

My son has been trying for years to get me on the carb diet but I am not a big meat eater, (love my pasta and bread) so always steered away. Well, I have to learn to at least eat the meats I like. Or poultry and of course I LOVE fish. LOL.

I have come to realize I was just using my "not really a meat eater" as a MAJOr excuse for just not doing the carb diet.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 08:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecegirl
Hey everyone! 58 years old here and lately feeling every year and then some LOL.

My son has been trying for years to get me on the carb diet but I am not a big meat eater, (love my pasta and bread) so always steered away. Well, I have to learn to at least eat the meats I like. Or poultry and of course I LOVE fish. LOL.

I have come to realize I was just using my "not really a meat eater" as a MAJOr excuse for just not doing the carb diet.

You don't have to eat the meat. We have vegetarian's here that do very well. Check out the boards for a Vegetarian Thread.

I am 59 and love meat, so it's a breeze for me. I also had to eliminate a medication I was taking for my knees because one of the side effects was rapid weight gain. I also discovered that Splenda has maltodextrin and dextrose in it; a fancy name for sugar, which was also contributing to stalls and weight gain.

I've since ordered a sweetener that has zero carbs and zero calories. It won't arrive until Friday evening or so, so the meantime, I've been drinking a lot of sparking water and my morning coffee.

I hope you find your thread. Welcome.
  #110   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-15, 04:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalove
You don't have to eat the meat. We have vegetarian's here that do very well. Check out the boards for a Vegetarian Thread.

Well, I don't totally hate meat but if I had a choice of pasta or meat pasta would win. At Thanksgiving I go for everything but the turkey LOL.

I do use splenda. Not a lot though. Just in my morning coffee. I have the other sweetener. May give it a try although I find it a tad more bitter
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-15, 05:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Well, I don't totally hate meat but if I had a choice of pasta or meat pasta would win. At Thanksgiving I go for everything but the turkey LOL.

If it's a digestive issue you can fix that with Betaine HCL. It "retrains" our system to get used to digesting meat again.
  #112   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-15, 11:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
If it's a digestive issue you can fix that with Betaine HCL. It "retrains" our system to get used to digesting meat again.

What is that? Is it a prescribed medication?

This is what I found on WebMD:

There isn't enough information to know if betaine hydrochloride is safe. It might cause heartburn.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of betaine hydrochloride during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Peptic ulcer disease: There is a concern that the hydrochloric acid produced from betaine hydrochloride might irritate stomach ulcers or keep them from healing.

Sounds a bit scary to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesegirl

You're doing the opposite for low carb; it's funny, but not so funny in the weight loss aspect of it.
  #113   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-15, 11:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalove
What is that? Is it a prescribed medication?

This is what I found on WebMD:

There isn't enough information to know if betaine hydrochloride is safe. It might cause heartburn.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of betaine hydrochloride during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Peptic ulcer disease: There is a concern that the hydrochloric acid produced from betaine hydrochloride might irritate stomach ulcers or keep them from healing.

Sounds a bit scary to me.

I followed this plan and I was fine.

http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/how...w-stomach-acid/

I'm a little skeptical of WebMD ever since they told me niacin was more dangerous than statin drugs

But it's a little known fact that people who avoid meat lose the enzymes and signaling that help them digest it. The Betaine HCL did wonders for me when I was sick and needed a little help. After a few months, you taper off and the body is trained again.

But that might not be your problem!
  #114   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-15, 12:00

BF:

Hi, Wearbear, it's not mine; Reesegirl has a problem with meat and she never said it was a medical issue. Sounded more like choice of food to me.
  #115   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-15, 03:58

BF:

No, LOL, my problem is I am seriously a carb addict. Each day gets easier however.
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-15, 05:01

BF:

Quote:
No, LOL, my problem is I am seriously a carb addict. Each day gets easier however.

It does! Honestly, it does!
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-15, 05:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It does! Honestly, it does!

I dunno, yesterday was like OMG, I am starving! I didn't break although it was tempting
  #118   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-15, 06:03

BF:

If you were starving, what did you eat that didn't do it for you? Protein and fat will satiate even the scariest of appetites. Could you provide a list of yesterday's meal? Thanks.

Last edited by lindalove : Fri, Mar-27-15 at 10:39.
  #119   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-15, 08:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:

Hi Reecegirl How about bacon? That's not like eating a steak.
Then there is ground beef which might be a little easier on you transitioning back to eating meat.
If you like fish, go with that right away and begin adding back red meats.
Get a good supply of canned tuna, sardines, anchovies, canned salmon, fresh salmon, shrimp etc......
Use mayo for dipping and or mixing with tuna.
  #120   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-15, 10:42

BF:

Quote:
I dunno, yesterday was like OMG, I am starving! I didn't break although it was tempting

See? That's scary to me. If you're hungry, eat. I see nothing wrong with eating until you are no longer hungry. Dr. Atkins specifies in his 1972 version of the New Diet Revolution to eat and not count calories, everything on his list of permissible foods.

Why should you be hungry? If you're hungry, you're not going to stick with it. There's an excerpt of the induction and I think, Level 2, of his book on this thread as a sticky note.

Check it out.