Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Fifi, I agree with what Susan said -- pick a Low Carb diet and do that. Atkins is easy to follow -- danged easy, and a great place to start. Get a book, read it, follow it. It is *VERY* important to actually read the book -- the Atkins website is now garbage. You'll likely find your recurring infections go away almost immediately.

There is nothing wrong with fat. It's the carbs that are the problem. I don't eat french fries because they are made from potato. I do eat deep fat fried green beans, cauliflower, zucchini, turnips, etc. because they taste good and are much lower in carbs.

I don't eat breaded and fried chicken, fish, etc. I do eat fried chicken lightly dusted with Carbalose flour, which adds about 1 g of carbohydrate.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 15:54

Plan: dietician where i work at
Stats: 360/354/200 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

what do u mean by icing, like put ice on it?
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 16:15

Plan: atkins (modified)
Stats: 498/436/300 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 31%

lcing low carbing
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 18:16

Plan: Lowcarb
Stats: 283/279/190 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 4%

wow! i have the same problem. i remember my grandma used to scrub the back of my neck til id almost bleed and it hurt so bad. id tell her that i scrub it every time i shower! but it never came off. now i know what may make it go away
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 20:25

BF:
Progress:

so how long do i put ice on it.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 20:26

BF:
Progress:

Ilove mykit:

yeah my family did me the same way. and eversince that i have been here on this site these lovely ppl have helped me. now i know what i have to do. and i am so thankful that i found this place. and i am goin to research this problem until i find everything there is on it.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 20:32

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi_2008
so how long do i put ice on it.
I think you are getting the letter "l" mixed up with the letter "i"....

lcing = LCing = LOW CARBING

(not icing.... )
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 21:30

BF:
Progress:

oops! my bad. im not very good with abbrevitions. i thought that it meant to put ice on it. dumb me!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 21:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/130/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

I saw a show that said dark skin could be caused by high level of testosterone in women. Possibly caused by PCOS or even gall badder malfunctions (too much bile messes with adrenal gland).
Just FYI
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 17:20

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

Acanthosis nigricans!

It's a sign of insulin resistance which goes along with PCOS.

I remember my mother scrubbing my neck, as a young girl, with rubbing alcohol. Of course, she got a little dirt off that way because who doesn't have a little grime on them by the end of the day - especially a young girl who goes outside and chases rabbits through everyone's backyard. - LOL

Anyway, as you have seen, scrubbing doesn't remove the discoloration. It may lighten and possibly disappear if you can lower blood sugar levels. Losing weight will help with insulin resistance. However, here is the kicker and you may have figured this out already. How does one lose weight when their body is IR?

I can tell you - It's not the ADA diet and trust me I wish it was because I love carbs. You must remove what spikes blood sugar and that is sugar/carbs. A low carb diet is the way to go. Now - how low does one need to go? That is very individual. Some go as low as no carbs and other can go up to 60g a day and more but, rarely as high as the ADA diet unless you like to gain weight and become a diabetic. That is what happened to me!

I was just diagnosed T2/IR - diabetic. My A1c is 6.5% - not critically high but high enough to put me into the early stages of diabetes.

Here is my opinion/advice. When I was first told I was IR - I wish I was given a glucometer! It has helped me tremendously. My doctor didn't give me one when I was diagnosed diabetic. I had to ask for it! I wish I was much more aggresive in my handling of PCOS/IR. It was never presented to me as something I should be overly concerned with. I learned much from diabetics and wish I utilized their knowledge early on.

If you get a glucometer, you can find out what foods keep your blood sugar from spiking and it will help you decide how restrictive you need to be with carbs. It's worth the finger pricks - IMO.

~Danielle
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 17:28

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
No one should be on the ADA diet - least of all diabetics! You'd be better off picking a plan such as Atkins, PPLP, South Beach and following that. Chronic infections are often a sign of high blood glucose levels. Do you have a meter so you can check your BGs?

Susan,

I have had high white blood counts for two years. I've just been diagnosed T2 diabetic/A1c 6.5%. Do you know if there is a connection between the two? They can't seem to find an infection. We originally thought chronic tonsilitis but, I had a T&A and 5 months later - still high white blood cell count. I think it's the diabetes (or connection to) but, my GP says no.

~Danielle
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 17:46
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Danielle,

Many diabetics have simmering peridontal infections in their gums. I think it would be worth checking out with the dentist.

http://www.perio.org/consumer/mbc.diabetes.htm

There's quite a few diabetics here hanging out in the Bernstein/Diabetes forum.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 15:23

BF:
Progress:

yeah my A1C level was 6.3% and now, well the last time i checked it was 5.9% that was like 5 months ago. however i am no longer on the metformin. im on nothing because i was having digestive problems. and i was telling the doctor and they kept upping and lowering my dosage...making me sick. so i quit it all and said i am no longet taking them. i was getting headaches, i was constipated and everything. they said that was the side effects. but for a year? psssh.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have to jump in and say that your dietitian should have known about Acanthosis Nigracans. I have a Master's degree in Nutrition and that was the first thing I thought of when I read it. I agree with others posts, go low carb, not ADA!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 07:47

BF:
Progress:
Cool mmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyc14
I have to jump in and say that your dietitian should have known about Acanthosis Nigracans. I have a Master's degree in Nutrition and that was the first thing I thought of when I read it. I agree with others posts, go low carb, not ADA!

thankz. i dont know much about diets. especially when it comes to lowcarbs. do u think that u could give me some tips. like sample meals that are lowcarb.